KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
who was.......... 2

Just shortly after having taken my leave from KBGS (1958), I was playing clarinet in a jazz band, and fancied myself as being able to play jazz (I couldn't of course, and had no idea what jazz was, and I certainly could not play.......) I was going to the technical college, and I had heard that there was a young master at KBGS who had a strong interest in jazz, and had taken it upon himself to form an extracurricular class in the art of improvisation. I believe that he tried to play jazz himself (trumpet?). He started at the school after I had left (1958?). He held sessions in the main hall at lunch time, and I went over there from the college with my clarinet, to see what it was all about, and to conceitedly show off my skills in front of the wannabes. I remember Wilbur walked past and recognised me with a barely perceptible nod.
Does anyone remember this young master?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

Re: who was.......... 2

The only teacher/jazz fan I was aware of in '58 was Mad Willie (Williams) the English teacher. Could he have been the one?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

It might have been. He was young, about 26, and I think he lived in Skipton.
Why was he called Mad Willie?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

As far as I know, Mad Willie lived in Haworth, at the bottom of Main St. One of those once seen, never forgotton sort of people. He was v. proud of the fact that he was a workin' class lad, from DH Lawrence's stamping ground of Eastwood, Notts, who had gone to Cambridge. A trombonist, not trumpeter, although he may have ben a Roland Kirk type multi instrumentalst.

He wore dreadful suits. Must have been left over from demob days. I think he sold them to George Melly

I don't think "Mad Willy" was at the school as early as 1958 (when I started). Didn't he arrive some years later to replace Prut as Head of English?

Roland Kirk? More like Roland Rat!

Mad Willy did indeed live at the bottom of Main Street Haworth and was remembered for producing the annual play. Anybody remember 'Slim Day' Latin, Bridge and Cricket?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1963-1970

Current location (optional) Cross Roads