KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Dorrance and the Dhoon Bay Camp, Kirkcudbright

School Campers at Dhoon Bay Kirkcudbright, in the 50's/60's, will recall local man Charlie Dorrance who spent at least 2 weeks at the camp as part of his annual holiday. I was reminded of him as I browsed the school camp photo for 1959. He appears framed behind and between Mesrs Allinson and Peart. As I recall, Charlie was a foreman blaster in a local quarry and was employed as a kind of general factotum/handyman for the duration of the camp. He was a source of all information local and a master of the crib board. He was also doyen of the creosote brush - and was reputed to creosote anything that stood still. He undertook any and all maintenance work during his period of residence. He was a popular, hardworking character who was respected by all campers although his dialect required patience and experience to unravel.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Charlie Dorrance and the Dhoon Bay Camp, Kirkcudbright

I've met a few like him.

Talk to yoursen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................

Might as weeal

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Charlie Dorrance and the Dhoon Bay Camp

Sounds like a Roald Dahl book

Or even Harry Potter !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral