KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Masters Group Photograph 1948

I'd like to draw Forum browsers' attentions to a photograph which has recently been placed on the School/Faculty section of our website, showing all the Masters teaching at School in 1948. I have been able to name all but 4 and would appreciate suggestions and/or identifications from any OB's which might help in 'completing' the photograph. Subjects taught and nicknames might also be of interest. It's a 'cracking' photo!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: Masters Group Photograph 1948

Hi David- I actually replied to this yesterday but it doesn't seem to have made it-second from left back row is Gaskell-sorry I can't remember his Christian name. He was ok-quiet and unassuming. He's standing next to Albert and I'm fairly sure that was Albert's first year at the school.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland,NZ

Thanks Bill. I remember his name now you mention it. Only three to go now!

What a wonderful photograph! Thanks for putting it on the website. Since '48 was the year I left (after 3 years in the 6th) I should remember all of them but I don't - well nearly all and some I had almost forgotten such as Wigglesworth. Surely Leonard Stockdale taught Physics not Chemistry, at least he did in my day. It was good to see Mr Eden;I was telling some people at the Reunion how he had taught me Latin, sometimes in his own time at weekends, which I needed for the Cambridge Open Scholarship exams.Since I was in the 'B' Form I had been taught German rather than Latin, a ridiculous system looking back on it. However I did get through in 1 year although at what exact level I never knew since, as you will remember, the only grade shown in single subjects was 'Credit'. Still I now remember more Latin than German!Incidentally where is May Whitehead in the photograph or had she left before then?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Yes,Tom, it's a wonderful photograph isn't it? I thought so too when I caught a glimpse of it at our recent Reunion. Joe McDowell was in possession of it and I contacted him a day or so later and asked him if I could borrow it for inclusion on our Website. As you see, he said OK. Certainly Mr Stockdale only ever taught me Chemistry at School, as he did with my brother, Arthur. Burton, I recall, taught both Physics and Chemistry.
Someone else mentioned the fact that there was only one Mistress shown(Ms Berrington). There are three others on the '46'Panora', including Ms Whitehead, Ms Kershaw and one other, was it Griffiths? They may well have moved on by '48.
Nice to have met up with you at the Reunion, Tom. Hope you enjoy your photograph taken at the 'do'.

There was Ma Rhodes who taught French.

Damned if I can find it, where is it please

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

On the photos page at the top you will see a link:

Other photos here: Faculty

David-you mentioned Mr Burton who taught chemistry and physics- a few years ago I met and became friendly with a couple here in Auckland. He was originally from Ireland. As time went on he asked me about where did I come from etc.When I told him Keighley he said something like he had heard about Keighley-he used to have a teacher from there. It was Mr Burton who went from KBGS to his school. He produced a photo to prove it. Small world. re female teachers ----- when I started we had two ladies-Frizzy and a Miss Corless,a much younger person with red hair.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland,NZ

David - I should have said thank you also for the photo of me and Peter Nichols.Are you going to add the one of me with yourself and your brother? Or, to be impossibly cheeky, is it possible to email it to me? Terry has my email address or you could send it to me at

webmaster@research-network.org.uk

Many thanks anyway for your efforts.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-'48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Interesting to note that the photograph mentioned in this thread has turned up in the Keighley News this week(Feb 14 2013- Ian Dewhirst's Memory Lane)and has obviously been downloaded from our website. The original was obtained by myself from Joe McDowell and I duly inserted all but two of the masters' names before sending to our Webmaster for inclusion. This was back in 2007!
Good see a handsome-looking 'Spike' Rannard, seated, extreme left, who still makes it to the Reunion every year.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

David - including the names in white? Any credit given in the Keighley News?
Chris

Current location (optional) Singapore

Hi Chris, The final paragraph of the 'write-up'reads :"The photograph has been supplied by Mr Terry Jackson of Fell Lane, Keighley".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50