KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nicknames

There seems to be a need for some new threads, so here goes. My nickname at kbgs was Marcus derived in part from a bad crew cut that refused to stand up, giving me a somewhat Roman imperial look, and my Latin sounding surname, Felvus. I missed this nickname when I moved to Australia, it was part of my identity. I digress, I remember Brian Craven giving himself the nickname Little Rocks, I shudder to think why, I gave him the name Beetroot which seemed far more appropriate. More nicknames please

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Re: Nicknames

never knew what my father's nickname was, but mine was "Fluff", a corruption of Firth

I know Terry has a wealth of nicknames from our form, so I am going to jump in while I can with some I remember. My nickname was "Joe", by way of "Johnny", "John John", "Yon Yon", "Joe Joe". There were some great nicknames we came up with, my favourite being "Winnie". This was my great pal Jonathon Miller. He was full of devilment (to my great admiration), and for some reason brought to mind a witch, reinforced by a laugh somewhat resembling a cackle. He became known as "Winnie the Witch", shortened to "Winnie". Terry and I disagree on how "Urdy" (David)Thomas got his name. Maurice Atkinson, my cousin, was "Mosh". One master was nicknamed "Dominie" because he fit the description of "Dominie Sampson" in that boring book (can't remember the name) we had to study under Prut. (Oh yes! "Guy Mannering"..just remembered!).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

At different times I was known as Noddy (I never really knew why, can someone enlighten me ?) Mozart (presumably because of my musical ability), and Fingers (I hope because of my musical ability rather than anything else!)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Was that a challenge, "Joe"? Some of the memorable ones were - Kush Hollings - from Hindu Kush. David Collen had been Codger Collen from the primary school days. John Topham (Top) brought the nickname "Num" from his scout troop (?). Dave Harrison became known as "Tab" as in Tab Hunter (and not because he resembled the "B" Actor) and later Tabularius (Keeper of the Archives).No-one ever got past "Marzy" for me although I got "Brucie" in the Upper 6th and "Chinner" in my first school as a teacher Some nicknames were transmuted (even transmogrified). Mosh Atkinson became Acky Mosh. Thankfully no one ever transmuted David Oates nickname - which was Titus. Dave "Little Bug" Fleet and of course "Archie" Andrews. Most seem to be borne of a twist of the name;of its association; of a habit or characteristic; of a gaff made in lessons. We worked on staff nicknames too - and were less kindly there - as in "Curly" Bloomfield.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I had 2 nicknames at KBGS, one was Wilf (after Wilfred Pickles) but more cusually the shortened 'Pick'. And of course there's a funny story attached to this.
On one of the Central Youth Club trips to Blackpool I decided to get a tattoo on my left forearm, and no I wasn't drunk (just bloody silly). It was a dagger with a scroll across the handle which was to have the nickname 'Pick' written in. I went through the painful exercise and when it was all finished and the ink and blood was wiped away I looked at it and from my upsidedown view I said 'it looks as if you've written Dick'. The tattooist said 'that's what you said isn't it?'
Sure enough I had 'Dick' on my arm. He tried to put a descender on the D but it didn't really work. I did get a tad frustrated over the years when people kept asking me who Dick was, but I could see the funny side of it. It was removed about 32 years ago with a painful skin graft.
Oh well, it makes a good story!

Bernard, the "Dominie" you refer to was an E G Morris, a Welsh maths teacher, who stood about 6 foot 6 inches and had the wingspan of an albatross. I know because he once used it to lift me clean out of my seat for smiling a winning smile.He was a dead ringer in our imagination for the tutor "Dominie Sampson". You would have enjoyed Guy Mannering more if you had gone to School camp - the location of the camp was to me a perfect location for Ellangowan and there were many other locations which corresponded in my imagination to places in the book. I think the boring part was the detailed Monday tests set by Prut to examine how well we had studied the 2 chapters set for homework each Friday. He set the most rigorous context questions for mere 14 year olds - remember "Beware of the redding straik"? and the rest!!

Depite the clearly fertile ground I didn't receive a nickname at kbgs. Don Wilding, a prolific inventor of nicknames once tried to christen me "fruity" though nobody ever called me such (except for a young lady a few years later). He even tried "meyt 'n tayti" but that didn't stick either. Don invented 2 of the 3 nicknames that Brian Moate mentions - Mozart and Fingers. His rationale for the Fingers nickname was unconnected with Brian's musical ability but relates to a (probably apocryphal) story that Don used to tell.
This topic leads me to think about another matter connected with names - name calling. Anyone who has ever taught children will have heard this going on leaving some children angry, frustrated and upset. During my time at kbgs I don't recall ever hearing this. Were such forms of bullying not present at kbgs? Were kbgs students above such things?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Like you Shaun, I was never given a nickname at KBGS that I know of, although during my Junior schooldays and game-playing on the streets I was called 'Daffy', a corruption of the Welsh 'David', Dafydd. Probably it came from the only Welsh family down Bradford St.,The Hockeys, whose eldest son Trevor, went on to play 'midfield' for Wales some years ago, beard an'all. When it came to 'name calling' the 'Daffy' name was extended to 'Daffi-down-dilly'.
The one nickname that made me smile in recent years relates to an African footballer who played in midfield for Manchester City(I think)a couple of seasons ago by the name of Musampa. His team mates called him 'Chris'!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

A good friend of mine, a Welshman named Huw, was tagged with Jarse. Think about it!

I believe you Trevor, but thousands wouldn't!
my good friend Jim Eckaight got the nickname "Deff" even though his hearing was not impaired in any way. I always wondered about that!

I think Trevor's 'Huw Jarse' pays homage to our dear departed Spike Milligan who was obliged to submit his Goon Show scripts for scrutiny in the '50s and used to have a fair bit of material 'blue pencilled' out as 'unbroadcastable'. His one 'favourite' that escaped censorship was his "- and now over to Hugh Jampton in the studio".

The first few to spring to mind are:-
Roy Butterfield - Cushy
Alan Spencer - Spanner
Bernard Tennant - Dumbo (a Don Wilding creation)
Graham Nolan - Nap (Ditto)
Stuart Lund - Landis
Stephen Brown - Syd
Keith Brown - Katie
plus a lad who lived along the road from me whose surname I forget. His first name was Arthur, and he was known as Teacake ('alf a teacake).

I had no nickname being so nondescript as to be undeserving of such.
I got Yorkie and Lofty in the RAF but then so did every other chap that was over 6 foot or came from Yorkshire.
It reminds me of two stories one was about an Native American who went to the Namer of Children and asked how he chose names for the children. The Namer replied:
'If when baby born hawk fly over camp call baby 'Hawk Fly Over Camp' or if when baby born snow gently falling then call baby 'Snow Gently Falling' but tell me Two Dogs F**ing why do you ask?'

The other was about a little girl with beautiful golden hair tied in a pink ribbon,skipping down the
street in a frilly pink dress with her little dog on a lead. The vicar saw her and stopped her.
'Hello little girl.'
'Hello, Vicar.'( A lisp helps if you tell the tale.)
'What a beautiful pink dress.'
'Thank you Vicar.'
'What's your name?'
'Angela.'
'Well that's absolutely right. You are as pretty as any little angel.'
'Thank you Vicar.'
'What do they call your dog.'
'Porkie.'
'What a strange name for a dog. Why do you call him that?'
''Cos he f**ks pigs'.

Yes of course Shaun, I remember Bernard being Dumbo. wasnt he aslo Big Ears to go with my Noddy ? (I might be seeing Bernard next week). Wasnt Allan Jones 'Mr Plod '
I remember all those others too. Re 'Arthur', was it Arthur Rushworth, I thought he lived in the 'Exleys' near you. I think I was distantly related to him via my Aunt Phyllis's (Dads sister) husband.

A different Arthur. 'Alf a Teacake lived on Queen's Road. He was 3 or 4 years older tha us.

Mr Plod indeed! You all kept THAT a secret! My 'official' kbgs nickname (bestowed by Percy Peart) was Jonah. Mr Plod, I'll admit, would have been more descriptive, and more in keeping with the gist of my pre-kbgs monikers (none freely chosen), 'Arbuckle' and 'Spud'....Can't complain though - my sister, who also tended towards corpulence, was christened something that rhymed with 'barrel'...Checking back on BRM's listing of folk in the 4x photo, nicknames were by no means universal. In brackets the ones I can remember:
Messenger (Mess/Messy), Camm (Daz), Craven, Battarbee (Batts),Hall,Wearmouth(Wizz),Hawkins,Jones (Jonah),Tennant(Dumbo), BRM (Noddy/Mozart/Fingers), Goodall,Shuttleworth and Bracewell, Foulger,Lowcock (Chucky),Whitley,Holmes, Bennison,Walton (Rick),Bailey (Baz), Pearson, Darlington, Labrum (Labs), Pike, Sharp, Sharpe, and Stead. Does anyone remember ones I've forgotten?

Brian,
Were you the harmonica player I am asking about in my other post?

I hope Forum browsers will excuse my taking advantage of this thread by repeating a 'name' story I heard on Radio 2 recently, courtesy Chris Evans. The story goes that Aisla Sinclair(singer,Generation Game Hostess)married Barry White(singer)and became Aisla White!! She later divorced him and married Brian Ferry and became 'Aisla White-Ferry'-boom boom!

(Keith ?) Sunderland - Bugsy
(Steve ?) Sawley - Sankey
Brian Horton - Proton

Wasn't Steve Sawley known as "Mist"?

Bernard, I did possess a very good quality Hohner Harmonica, which was my grandfathers, and he did give me a bit of tuition on it, but I never really leared to play it, and I dont think I ever took it to school.

Re 4X photo Brian Shuttleworths nickname was 'Shucks'

Of course weren't Michael Sharpe and Richard Sharp know as 'with' and 'without' ?

Reading 'The Times' this morning I came across a quotation which made me smile. Attributed to Ed Balls, the current Schools Minister it went "I never really needed a nickname at school. It was bad for me, but much worse for my sister, Ophelia" !!!
Reminds me of a teacher at Bradford Grammar School a few years back, named Richard Head! Poor lad!
Even worse, I did a short computer course for 'over 60's', a couple of years ago and our teacher was named 'Michael Hunt'("call me Michael"). Shades of 'Porky's Revenge' and Bart Simpson!

I like the names given to John Barnes (Liverpool F.C.)and Martin Offiah (R.L.)----"Tarmac"(The black Heighway) and "Chariots".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) Isle of Man

Hello all,

I just wondered if the 'Archie Andrews' mentioned here could be my dad!?

I know dad attended KBGS, but I'm not sure when. If anyone could shed any light on this I would appriciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Not Sure

If his name was Jeffrey (with a J) Andrews and would be around 68 years of age and was at KBGS 1952-59 - then Yes.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

There was also Kenneth Andrews in our year (say born 1946-7). He went to Ingrow Primary, and was certainly in the top stream in second year KBGS (form 2L1 - I can still recite that form list alphabetically, and Andrews was first!). I believed he stayed in Keighley because my brother-in-law Mike Boothroyd saw him occasionally , but not recently.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 48-64

Who dare own up to their own nickname?

Mine at kbgs was "Marzy". More latterly, Malc Archer christened me "Brucie" - because he had noticed I had a similarity (chinwise) with Bruce Forsythe(?) on Sunday Night at the Palladium which I never saw because reception down Lawkholme for ITV was nixt gute

Well, come on Neil Andrews. If Jeffrey (Archie) Andrews is your dad we would like to know more. If Jeffrey Andrews is your dad, there is a photograph in which he appears under

Terry Marston
Well, come on Neil Andrews. If Jeffrey (Archie) Andrews is your dad we would like to know more. If Jeffrey Andrews is your dad, there is a photograph in which he appears under :Photos; Faculty; Watthey's Prefects 1959.

Relating to Nicknames
On the reverse of my copy of my copy of the 1955 Cricket Second X1 team

Beside each name is an appropriate (or otherwise) nickname liberally used.

Tony Marshall "Ginger"
Derek Newiss "Cannon"
Rodney Farrer "Rod/Rodney'
Mr Rannard "Spike"
Peter Thorpe "Pop"
Alan Hill "Al or Alan"
David H Smith "Smee"
Charlie P D Ruddock "Tonker'
J Raymond Bell "Ray or Bell"
John Baldwin "Big Head"
Andrew Belton "Andrew'
Norman Weatherhead " Sash Mo or Weather"

Others to follow (when ancient scrolls unearthed !)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Sorry about the delay Terry.

My dad is Michael Andrews....

Dad would have been 65 if he had still been with us.

Was just curious to see if anyone knew him or had any pictures or info that I might not have been aware of.

R.I.P Dad.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) Not Sure

Terry Marston
Who dare own up to their own nickname?

Mine was Gaz. This began on a school trip to Paris in ?1955/6 where there were hundreds of ads for gas. I hated the name but despite refusing to answer to it as I got older, it stayed with me till I left school.

The best nickname I remember (I have mentioned this before somewhere) was "weeta brevis" cruelly used by Greenwood and Braithwaite for a poor lad called Longbottom in our class. But this witticism went entirely over the heads of us dunces in 4x.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme (garethwhittaker99@hotmail.com)