KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School Dinners

It's funny how this forum dredges up memories, I found myself trying to remember who sat at my dinner table. I remember that I stayed at the same table throughout my time at kbgs. Terry Marsden was Head of my table when I was in 1C, the following year I think O'Brien was at the top and Spout Funnel was a new boy. Incidentally, I was the one who gave him his nickname, it seemed logical to me, a spout was a type of funnel.

Can anyone, especially Terry, help me fill out the rest of the table.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Re: School Dinners

The only person who comes to mind is Wilf Scarborough, a big, cheerful youth from Oakworth who made a big contribution to Longsdon House teams.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Wilf was a stalwart and captain of the Oakworth Cricket team and his son has filled his boots since his retirement.

Wilf was a good batsman. He batted at 3 or 4 for the Oakworth CC first team whan I played for the juniors (and occasionally the second team in which I was most accoplished at failing to distinguish myself). He was a very pleasant, affable fellow who always had time for the juniors at club practice.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

This(somewhat tenuous)link between school dinners and cricket reminds me that Barry whittingham was Head of our table in my 1C days. Other first-formers included Brian Entwhistle (I think!) and Stephen Seymour. I can't remember the more senior lads at the table except for a younger brother of David Harrison(Head Boy at the time).
Subsequent years, until the enforced move from Municipal Hall to Alice Street following "the fire", are even more vague.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

DAve Harrison's brother was Jimmy, I remember we were playing cricket at the 1959 Kirkudbright Camp, Jim's commentary, "Bowlin' from t' bog oil(hole) end." Which leads me to the dastardly act of lifting the trap door on the toilet/bog oil and running nettles on any unwary exposed backsides, I shudder to think what it would have felt like to have nettle stings on your scrotum.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

So what was the food like? I never had a school dinner. Always went home. I've a feeling I may have missed out on some tasty calories...but then, does anyone remember the playground chant about school dinners?

I opened this posting believing it to be a fresh one, read John’s opener and immediately thought of “Wilf” Scarborough. I was surprised to read the next entry and to discover that I had already replied 7 years ago. (Sic transit gloria senis).

You will see, Allan, from John Felvus’ “Now and Then” , how nutritious were school dinners. From your Guest Book entry date, you must have had 4 years in the Mechanics and known by repute the nature of the victuals and some of their descriptions - in the common parlance of the victims. (Stodge; fly cemetery; camelcum; turd cart (sic); et alia. )

Whatever they may have said about the meals, there was no shortage of volunteers for extra helpings. One I recall rejoiced in the name of “Spudeater” because of the great volume of tates he ate. And the cost ? I remember, when in lower school, paying Albert Braithwaite (Clerk to the kitchen) 2/1d (10.417p) for a week’s dinners. 5d per day.

Most meals offered meat (in varying preparations) and 2 veg; never white meat; battered fish every Friday served with mashed tates, peas and thick parsley sauce, Stodge (e.g. brownies to the young’uns) with custard or white sauce most days; milk puddings (sago mainly with a dollop of red (?) jam); and pastry tarts – currants and such like. Never chips or burgers or pizzas.

Distribution was an issue. Each table had 11 boys with a 12th at the top end. With usually 2 boys from each year, they sat in descending seniority. The lower school boys took turns at queuing for the table’s quota and taking away the used plates and cutlery to the kitchen. The “top” of the table and a couple of henchmen served up the portions from the tureens (i.e. tins). The juniors would complain about having to “mug” for the others and about the size of their portions (ahem!). The whole was supervised by the master on duty.

A key position, and one which seemed to be passed down prefect to prefect obscurely and on the QT, was the job of supervising table waiters returning plates and cutlery to the wet kitchen. Here was a chance to make the acquaintance of the kitchen ladies and this paid handsomely when it came to their meal which they took on the recently vacated masters’ table on the Mechanics stage.

I think you should have given it a try, Allan.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Nirvana

I should definitely have given it a try, Terry. I did flirt with school dinners (also sic) when at Guardhouse Primary. The meals there were similar, but the price a mere 1/9d per week. The mixing of the class years at the KBGS tables sounds like a good idea, even if the older lads seem to have enjoyed bigger portions and less work. Now for that playground chant. I'll start, who'll finish:
"Snot'n'bubble pasty, green phlegm pie........."

You know, I quite liked school dinners. The fried fish on Fridays was always welcome and the cheese and onion pie I always enjoyed. One thing I could have done without when I was a first former ( or perhaps I was in the second form - in any case I was seated towards the bottom of the table) was the sabotage of my rice pudding as it was passed down from the top end. A certain J J Feather always seemed to sprinkle salt on my dish. Not very nice! A few years ago I reminded him of his not very friendly behaviour - not something expected of a future Vicar. He apologised and I have forgiven him. Yes, at 2/1d for five meals, we certainly got value for money. Thinking about it, maybe the reason I liked the lunch time offering was because the war had only just ended and we had very little variety in our diet. Meat was still on ration until well into the 50's - wasn't it? I have only vague recollections of the kitchen - a small room to the side of the stage in the Municipal Hall wasn't it? Surely meals for 300 kids and a score of teachers couldn't have been prepared and cooked in that room? Were the meals cooked elsewhere and brought in?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Allan Jones
I should definitely have given it a try, Terry. I did flirt with school dinners (also sic) when at Guardhouse Primary. The meals there were similar, but the price a mere 1/9d per week. The mixing of the class years at the KBGS tables sounds like a good idea, even if the older lads seem to have enjoyed bigger portions and less work. Now for that playground chant. I'll start, who'll finish:
"Snot'n'bubble pasty, green phlegm pie........."

All mixed up with a dead cat's eye
Slugs and snails, laid on thick
All washed down with a cup of cold sick!

Crikey, I thought I had forgotten about that one.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

Well done Bill. You win a sago pudding.

Many thanks Allan. Cooked by yourself of course! Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, New Zealand

... not forgetting the salt from JJW-F...

Doug