KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ilkley 7s

In the early 60s I,along with a few mates used to trek ower Ilkley moor to watch the school in the Ilkley 7s rugby tournament. We always seemed to get knocked out in the quarter final(usually by Heath GS) Have KBGS ever won this prestigous tournament and is it still going?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 57-62

Current location (optional) keighley

Re: Ilkley 7s

I too used to go to the Ilkley 7's every year, same period as you.
A far as I recall KBGS did reach the final a couple of years before I attended, I think about 1956, but they were runners up. Im sure another poster will confirm this. I dont know if its still going.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I just have a vague idea that we might have won it about 1949-50 when Geoff Moore was captain. He was arguably the best player ever produced by KBGS and was snapped up by Leeds RLFC when he left school. We once saw him score a try for the 1st XV with 4 opponents hanging on to him from near the 25.Maybe Tom Punt might recall the win. He will certainly remember Geoff Moore. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland,NZ

Geoff Moore was in my form and would have left in 1948. He came from Queensberry,was in the 1st XV when in 4a, and I believe in Barrat House. I know he went into R.League but never heard much about him there, was he a success?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) I.O.M

I have a strong recollection of KBGS winning the Ilkley 7s. Although I was never a rugby type, being far too small in build, I do recall the great celebrations that took place one Monday morning when our school victory was announced. Gilbert was the centre of attention and in his element as he stood on the stage at School Assembly. I'm not sure of the exact year, but I would guess it was most probably around '56 or '57.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-61

Current location (optional) Paisley

I have a programme for the Ilkley Sevens 1960 which includes a list of previous winners and it shows Robert's memory isn't failing. KBGS beat Heath GS in the final in 1956. I regret not going to watch for according to those who did the final was a thriller. On the following Monday, Old Nick Hind entered the Assembly followed by the Sevens team, announced their victory and invited applause - which they got in abundance. The only player I can recall from the team was Raymond Bell. I am sure other readers can provide the rest. The Ilkley Sevens started in 1950. Heath and QEGS Wakefield were the most successful teams. KBGS were semi-finalists in 1959 (see "press" under Newspaper Clippings)losing to the runners-up and quarter finalists in 1960 losing to Heath, the winners.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln