KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bogus postings

On the thread "personality of the year",
I don't care about the "personality", but I do care if people are posting under multiple names. It is quite perspicacious of Chris to notice the same IP address under three different names.
I vote that if someone does not have the decency to post under his real name, that further posts from that IP address be deleted.
Also, why would anyone be reluctant to post the years they were incarcerated at KBGS?
I notice further that Simon Whitwam (who rattled my cage) is also the same person who later in the "explosive questions" thread applauded me under the name "Peter Davidson". Peter, I can understand why you wouldn't want to own to being "Simon"!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

Re: bogus postings

It would be a reassurance of their good faith if Messrs Ian Ackroyd, Neville Lumbers and Kevin Emmot explained the observation made by Chris under the posting on Yorkshire Personality of the Year. Any absence of an explanation would seem to confirm Chris' suspicion and that would lead me to support Bernard's proposition. Anonymity has no place in this "Boys' Own" website. On-line hoodies should review their policy. Extradition to Queensbury or Earby is an unlikely punishment for an honest recollection or a candid opinion. So be bold, lads. The remedy is to fill out the sparse personal detail in the form which appears each time you click "Reply" or "Post" and take the credit for your wit and perspicacity.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

But what if somebody gets really mad at me?

I confess!!! I just did a bogus posting of my own to see what would happen with the IP address. I can't figure out what happened...........I used a different computer AND my neighbor's wireless connection. Can anyone explain why this would be?
My apologies to Simon/Peter..........

If your neighbour is using same internet provider you may be connecting thru the same server, hence get same IP address.

is
pool-71-109-117-216.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net

My guess is you both use the same service

My posting here is using a different provider from my postings of a few days ago, and the IP address reflects that.

Just to add, these IP addresses tend serve a cluster of users. So if you live near someone and use same provider it may show the same IP addresss.

The offending IP address is from
77-96-85-85.cable.ubr01.tonb.blueyonder.co.uk
I think this person is therefore located in Tonbridge, UK

For comparison, "genuine" IP addresses are
Shaun Pye
cpc1-leed1-0-0-cust663.leed.cable.ntl.com

Leendert Plug
eric-clus-13.leeds.ac.uk

John Felvus
122-148-176-110.static.dsl.dodo.com.au

etc etc

Besides, I have in the past had a serious complaint from someone (presumably the real person) about someone else impersonating them in our forum. So this has been going on for some time.

You are correct Chris. I checked. We are both using the same server. However, this shows that an IP address is not a unique identifier, consequently Mr. Ackroyd, Emmot and Lumbers could really be different people who happen to be in Tonbridge, Kent and using Telewest Broadband. Mr. Whitwam and Davidson may also be different people in Horsham, West Sussex also using Telewest. Apologies may be in order here.

The problem address is 77.99.67.90 which I have now banned, as I find the chances of several ex-KBGS old boys all living in Tonbridge, AND posting here AND all writing in a similar style vanishingly small.

The poster is assuming names that could in fact be real old boys (hence the complaint I had a while back).

If the suspected imposter is reading this pls email me if you want to be unbanned.

I just searched my archive emails and the previous imposter trouble was also caused by someone connecting from Tonbridge although i didn't realise it at the time.

So case the answer is clear to me now.

Great work, chaps. But apologies to the hoodies using this site are only due if they themselves come forward and offer the information that clears up the matter. If they don't, I find their motivation sinister as the consequences of posting on this site have no penalties other than the basic laws of slander and libel.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln