KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yorkshire Personality of the Year

Quite frankly I think David Hockney and Alan Bennett offer the opportunity of global access to Yorkshire culture as does Sir Norman Foster. Tit{ch}marsh is purely for domestic consumption.

As a professional horticulturist and ex-KBGS, I do not object to Alan Titchmarsh being selected at Yorkshire person of the year.

During my time at KBGS there was an Ackroyd who was known by the name Charlie. Are you he? If so I claim the prize. I find it a useful feature of this site to be able to discover the years at KBGS and current location of posters by clicking on the ikon below their name - but not every poster is inclined to divulge such personal detail. I think all contributors should do so.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Terry - you are right.

Related, I suspect that some of the names used for postings are bogus. Several people are posting under the same IP address 77.96.85.85

e.g.
Ian Ackroyd
Neville Lumbers
Kevin Emmot

Multi-Personality of the Year!

Or perhaps they all share the same computer
Chris

Kevin - are we sure Hannah Hauxwell is from Yorkshire? I thought she was from Teesdale, which I thought was in County Durham. Or have boundaries changed?

Diverging slightly from this topic, is there any move to have Yorkshire's original boundaries reinstated? Large lumps of Lancashire were until fairly recently part of Yorkshire - rather nice real estate in the Forest of Bowland and West Craven. I think Rutland has regained at least part of its former status, due perhaps to public agitation. Is there a movement aimed at restoring Yorkshire?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

They nicked Saddleworth too!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I trust that Personality of the Year has a born in Yorkshire proviso.

One major disadvantage that I have had to endure for most of my life is that whilst my parents were Yorkshire born and bred, and I have always considerred myself to be a Yorkshireman, I had the misfortune to be born in London and spent the 1st 5 years of my life there. Ordinarilly I could have hidden this and not made an issue of it, however, I was devastated when I learned (in those days) that I could never play cricket for Yorkshire because I wasn't born there. I lost interest in cricket after that. I suppose that this criterion no longer applies for representation?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Do you know which end of the bat to hold?

The Southern accent (collectively labelled "posh" in Yorkshire) always gave you away anyhow Marcus!

Ah tell thee what, tha knows. Ah speak a lot more posh nah si thee.

And as for the bat, I can still remember which end to hold, they make very good deterants against would be house breakers although I must admit that our colonial cousins in the Americas have a better type of deterant bat that they developed to play rounders.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

A pity A. Ayckbourn wasn't born in Yorks.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 53-58

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Perhaps he qualifies as non-Yorkshire personality of the year. After all, there can't be mony on 'em (last year or ony uther)!

I think kbgs former pupils should nominate and elect their own "Yorkshire Personality of the Year" through this site.
Nominations first - and maybe Chris could devise some system of recording votes?

The Dalesman's Personality of the Year this year is Sir Ken Morrison of supermarket fame. Over the last two years he managed to treble their market capitalisation. More reasons to shop at Morrisons.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-69

Good for him. But what about us? Can he deliver produce next week at last week's prices - or are Morrisons - like the rest - on the Harare pricing mechanism.
My nomination would be Lancashire born tyke, Michael Vaughan, the most successful England captain since the captain England barely had, Brian Close.

Wm. Morrison???...he's the guy who put the enormous
mountain of rubble on Morecambe promenade just so no-one else can do anything with the land. Morecambe is bad enough as it is without his "assistance". Quite a
personality!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) Keighley