KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 'Pie floater' in Adelaide -- and more besides

The best meat pie in Keighley can be found at Stables Butchers on North Street - they are tremendous.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

The best pork pie I ever tasted was in Leeds market recently. Marks & Spencer, Tesco and Sainsburys are rubbish. The one in Leeds was scrumptious. And cheap.

Speaking as someone who has literally made several thousand pork pies after school and at weekends in Keighley. The pastry is stamped into the pie tin using a hand operated gas heated pie press. The pastry pieces are dropped into the tin, the press then "squashes" the pastry so that it fills the space between the stamp and the pie tin. Meat is then spooned in, lids which are precut are put onto the pies and put through another press that crimps them on. Pies are glazed and put in the oven. The gellatine is put in after the pies are cooked otherwise it would boil over. THis is the same process that was used at Clegg and Wrights no matter what size the pie. I managed to burn myself on the press at least once an hour. I think that I used to get about 5/- for working till 10:00pm an Friday nights and from 7 till 5 on Saturday. Mind you, I could eat the occasional pie

Don't the Aussies call a growler ---- "A rat in a coffin" ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 57-62

Current location (optional) keighley

haven't heard of a rat in a coffin, where we live we call them mystery bags because nobody knows what is in them

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

If there was a pie on the clock, what time would it be? Summat to ate.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

I lived in Aussie for a number of years and I try to get over there every 18 months or so and I have never heard of " a rat in a coffin"- cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland,NZ

Further to John Felvus' post above. I was recently in Ainleys confectioners in Headingley and an old fella in fornt of me asked for 'a great mystery of life' . The assistant knew eactly what he was after - s growler.
My grandfather used to call meat and potato pies '10 to 1 ers' ( ie ten parts potato to one part meat)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I made use of my visit to the Old Boys' Reunion (for which I thank Robert Bracken and the Keighlians RUFC) to test out my theory that the best pork pies are produced in the region west of Leeds. I had little time - but my search was researched - in that I looked up David Boddy's claim for Stables’ Butchers on the interweb and found some very fervent support for Stanton's pies from Skipton. So, my trip was via the A1 and sharp left at Boston Spa and up the Wharfe Valley which was as appealing as I have ever seen it - still rich variants of green and pleasing undulations under a blue sky that stretched from horizon to horizon. First stop Skipton for a mission to Stanton's - to which I was directed without malice by a self-professed vegetarian female person. Pies a plenty - both cold and warm were on offer. I tried a couple of warm specimens, anticipating, without disappointment, that warm sensation of pie liquor running down to and dripping off the elbow. I sat on a seat across from the shop to encourage other would-be hedonists to indulge - but the call of a pint of Tetley's Best soon drew me into a nearby pub. On to Kegley, via the "new" "flood-proof" Aire Valley Freeway and a search for 128 North Street and Stables' butchers. Two more pies (cold by default) were garnered in - but kept for later consumption. After an absorbing hour at a "reader" in the Reference Library beside our well-known local historian and Old Keighlian, Ian Dewhirst, I lowered the flag for the day and shot off to the arms of the family.
At the "Reunion" (Utley not Indian Ocean) we were treated to a first rate buffet in fine company - but little evidence of the "growler par excellence". Next day,en route for home, I shotover Alma, dipped into Wharfedale and homed in on Otley's favoured Weegmann's pie shop. The beautiful aroma o'erpowered the 4x4(16Ö) fumes at the crossroads' lights and I ventured in to purchase both instant gratification and future provision. I was only offered warm pies - and they were top'o.
So, fellows, my assessment on three pies on three days (other pies may be sampled) is as follows
I relished the Stanton's; adored the Weegmann's; enjoyed the Stables. But Midgley's would have given them all a run for their money.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Terry I think you mean Stanforth's pies at Skipton.
There were several brothers called Stanforth one of which is my cousin Reg who is now 91. The shop was taken over some time ago but kept the name as it is well known in the district. According to my cousin the pies they make today "are nowt like what we used to mek" and a dam sight dearer I expect.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Sorry about the mistaken identification - any rooad up, lad, they were reight welcome. We have 2 Boddy "authorities" on pies with initals "D" - RU one and the same? I've heard there's a butcher up Worth who does a mean pie - any verification of this?

Re Stanforth's pies. Rated by those who know no better to be the best in Yorkshire. They aren't even the best in Skipton. Drake and Macefield's, on Otley St, beat them into a cocked hat.

Do any Cobbydalers remember Mitchell's Pork Shop in Kirkgate? Best pies ever. In the early 70's, the proprietor gave the shop and his prized recipe to his daughter and her husband. He buggered off with another woman, the shop closed and that was that.

Anonymous endorsements don't count.

I agree Terry. But I do think the pork pies in M@S, Sainsbury's Tescos today are just awful. The best ones I ever tasted were in Leeds market. Dark red meat and salty. Another thing about the Leeds market area some time ago is that the pubs used to be open from 8AM -- for some reason. Not that I am advocating early hours imbibing but if you had just got off a tiresome overnight bus from London it was a very refreshing morning pint before caching a train to the Aire Valley.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-68

Current location (optional) Ireland