KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Yorkshireman

The accepted perception of a Yorkshireman is that of a sturdy, independent(bloody)-minded, defiant of authority,individualist. For example, Close, Truman, Boycott, and indeed most of my friends from my Yorkshire days would qualify.
This is at odds with the fact that the County generally, practices a belief in the centralised, dependency culture of the welfare state, judging by the overwhelming number of Labour M.P.s, and the prominent trade union leaders it produces.
Which is right ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) Isle of Man

Re: A Yorkshireman

Both are correct Peter. The inclination towards independent-mindedness and the desire to stand up to "authority" were what gave rise to the trade union movement and to the labour movement in general. It was also in keeping with the non-conformist religious tradition of Yorkshire, and of the Pennine area in particular. True, the modern day leadership of these organisations has cosied up to the powerful and many people carry on the tradition of supporting them regardless. Despite that I still value the non-conformist ethos of the town and the times that I was brought up in, and the injunction “Dare to be a Daniel”. Another element of the non-conformist tradition was to answer the question “Am I my brother’s keeper?” in the affirmative, and so a natural consequence was the Welfare State. Recent experience of the NHS makes me value that too.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

The concept of the Wefare State is founded on the fundamental ethics of altruism. It is essentially good in nature, based on the principles of giving according to ability and receiving according to need.
It is, however, very much abused by those who do not understand the levels of hardship and ill-rewarded hard work of previous generations from which the concept emerged and became realised after two bloody wars that were fought not by Lords and Earls and politicians but by those hard working, honest, salt of the earth workers upon whose labours, fortunes were made.
Those that do abuse it, and their numbers are legion, debase it and mock it and betray those who spent their lives seeking to establish a society that recognises some are less able than others.
Being a Yorkshireman is about being bloody minded, blunt tongued, independent thinkers but a Yorkie is also neighbourly, caring and honest withal.
I have contributed all my life to the Welfare State and it has never let me down when I have needed it despite all that others may find wrong with it.

"the principles of giving according to ability and receiving according to need."

Didn't some communist guy say exactly the same thing Arthur? (I think it was Groucho Marx or maybe Harpo).

Joking aside, I think it it a beautiful concept. BUT, human nature being what it is, it will NEVER work the way it should. There will always be those who milk the system whilst contributing nothing. These people are not hard to see. I saw it all the time when I lived in England. One example, the guy who lived at the bottom of Rawling Street.....had 13 kids and lived of the government allowance for the kids. I don't know how true it is, but the gossip in Rawling Street was that when welfare workers asked why he didn't get a job, he told them that he couldn't get a job because there was very little demand for his line of work. When asked what that was he answered "I'm a Coronation decoration seller". (Sounds unbelievable doesn't it?)
It is difficult for people who are honest and hard working to be taken advantage of thus. Sometimes it is tempting to think "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, and do it worse if you can". Then things spiral out of control until taxes become unsustainable and there is an uprising. Maybe a welfare state could work satisfactorily if it was policed more stringently, and proven cheats dealt with harshly and publicly.
The level of taxes in general, and the punitive tax on overtime, was what forced me to leave England. Though welfare cheats exist here, I believe that there is a smaller percentage of them and consequently less of my tax tribute goes to them.
It is an imperfect world.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

Ok, ok, Arthur. The story about the guy with 13 kids was a complete fabrication, but I thought it would illustrate my point.
I really do think that people ought to help those who are less fortunate. I am a firm believer in giving someone a helping hand when they need it. I often give money to homeless people thinking "there but for the grace of god go I". (I srongly believe most homeless people are not shiftless bums, but mentally ill, and society is falling down on the job allowing such a situation to exist). I think most people would agree with your sentiments, but, as always, have different ideas on how to reach that objective. I also firmly believe in "teach a man to fish ......etc."
There are some excellent sites on the internet that are geared toward giving a helping hand to people in third world countries who are struggling to start modest businesses, or improve one they already have.
I don't want to sound preachy, or use this forum to promote any agenda, but if anybody is inclined to help someone like that, and is not sure how to go about it, an excellent organization I use is "www.Kiva.org".
Enough of blowing my own horn. I wanted to show that I am not as hardhearted as it might have appeared on my first post!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

I do not defend the Welfare State as perfect, Bernard, and believe me no one is more p--s-d off than I, when I stand behind people at the Post Office, who I know have not contributed one penny to the central fund, drawing from it hand over fist. But having said that the fault is not in the concept but in the administration of the concept as realised.
There are and always will be those who think that they are cleverer than others because they know how to rip off a system. I will still settle for what we have than hanker for what we had before. I have fought all my life both professionally as a teacher and latterly as a chair of Governors for a local school and as a political activist, for the improvement of life for us all and not for the privileged. It saddens me to see all that I fought for abused and undermined in principal by people who are essentially thieves. Nevertheless for all its imperfections and those deriving from the frailties and perversions of a few abusers it is still to be preferred to 'devil take the hindmost' mentality of what we had before.
I still recognise that the essential spirit of the Welfare State is consistent with the free, independent, self sufficient, non-conformist Yorkie as expressed through Trade Unionism and Methodism.
I could go on but I won't.

Interesting and thought-provoking responses, but I still have problems reconciling "sturdy,self- reliant individualism" with the fact that the majority when given the choice ,opt to hand over responsibility for the some of the fundamental needs in life to the state. I keep coming back to the cricket analogy,where you find several of the generally recognised typical Yorkshiremen. The great sides of the past were successful because a collection of highly talented (and selfish ?) individuals were at the height of their powers,and their success had little to do with collective team spirit and effort,(which has not done much for Harmison,by the way).
I am beginning to think that our reputation needs a revision ?

Even though the sides led by Ronnie Burnet, Vic Wilson and Brian Close had some excellent players in them they were, above all, TEAMS. Some of the parts were pretty good but the sum of the parts was even better. Society's the same. We're stronger when we're together. We don't hand over responsibility to the state. The state is the vehicle that we use to discharge our collective responsibilities, and we have to try to make sure that it's driven sensibly.

I cannot argue with that,Shaun,but I guess we differ on which responsibilities we want the state to discharge; but back to cricket---what use is the rest of the team when you are face to face with Lilley and Thompson or a battery of West Indian fast bowlers, or trying to hit the spot and keep Viv.Richards quiet? No one in the world can help you then, you are absolutely on your own.
Hope to meet you in September?

Quite correct Peter. I admit defeat on the cricketing front, at least when your side's batting.

P.S. Would really have liked to be there in September to meet you and others Peter but I'll be in Morocco, and I suspect my family would be slightly put out if I returned early for the reunion.

On the original theme of this thread, and seen displayed in a pub on a recent visit;
"Tha can allus tell a Yorksherman, but tha can't tell 'im much!"