KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
my happiest times........

Train spotting..... Getting a "namer". Collecting cigarette packets. Going "conkering". Making model airplanes (which never flew). "Sledging". Finding a good "bow stick" to make a bow.
All happy times before KBGS.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA

Re: my happiest times........

When I think back to some of my bowsticks, I wonder how on Earth the English archer ever became the mighty military force they were. Did you cheat and buy arrows or did you use sticks from the same tree as your bow? We also used to make darts, a dowel about 2 feet long with flights made from paying cards. We would cut a notch in the blunt end and put a knotted string into it and use it to propel the dart in much the same way as a spear thrower

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Originally Haworth, now Blue Mountains Australia

We called them "throwing arrows"and we could get amazing distances with them. Wouldn't be allowed today eh?
Train spotting- favourite spot was below the bridge down Lawkeholme Lane. never a dull moment.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland,NZ

The walk from KBGS to Byrl Street/Caledonia Road was often broken with a visit to the train "shunting-yard.(after viewing through the wooden stabledoor the work of the blacksmith whose premises were situated on the corner of Alice Street and Lawkholme Lane.)
Along with Peter Clarke (whose father Jim worked in the railway yard),and Richard Hartley, we regularly rode on the foot-plate of the "1820" as train and driver went about their work in the goods-yard.
The "adventure" of putting a 1/2d on the line, worrying as to whether it would derail the train and then triumphantly retrieving the squashed piece of metal (now as large if not larger than the old 1d).
The stuff of which Michael Palin's Ripping Yarns were made !!!!
Those were the days !!??!! (or were they ??)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

After nationalisation of the railways, I can remember standing, notebook in hand at the top of the wooden steps in that yard to which Derek refers , excitedly writing down the number of a "cop" - a previously unseen goods loco drawing trucks on the far line...."41820"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Hi TM
You'll no doubt remember the train number collector's cry of "Pegged Home and Distance !"
The signals showing a train due on the down-line and one on the up-line !!??!!

Sometimes we varied the route home by walking on Skipton Road to Showfield and down and across the railway bridge.
In those days standing on the bridge as a STEAM TRAIN rushed below was felt to be "daring" !!
Down Showfield passed Stuart Maude's house and David Thomas's house and then Holy Trinity Church. Do you remember the Church service conducted by the "new" Rev. David Sheppard? This was shortly after he left the cricketing arena.
Taking a left down Lawkholme Lane.Towards the bottom of Lawkholme Lane was the home of Ira Feather (Auctioneer and Valuer) this was obviously the residence also of the KBGS brothers John Waddington Feather and George Dixon Feather. (Sorry Reverend !)
Their sister was a trainee teacher at Eastwood Junior School during my time at the school.
Don't remember her first name as she was always referred to respectfully as MISS FEATHER.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Derek, There was also "Pegged ont'bridge" - but one day some older lads from a less reputable part of town were spotting on the Lawkholme bridge and taught us alternative signal nomenclature with the consequence that we would run over the bridge shouting to our mates "Pegged ont'paps" - and there was worse with which I would not sully these columns.
I was long left Keighley by the time David Sheppard was dropping hymn books at Holy Trinity. He got some good dropping practice in on an Ashes tour. I always maintained that if they had tekken Phil Sharpe instead and put him in the field where Sheppard would have been - the series would have been won without Sharpe needing to score a run.
Some of the subjects you raise are not of general interest and if you wish to discuss them further with me I can be got at terry.marston@hotmail.com. I would be pleased to hear from you.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Bow sticks and arrows..........I made arrows from short cane sticks. They were about 10mm dia. I would wrap one end with copper wire, this served to stabilize it in flight and protect the end from getting too smashed up.
The Willis Walker started selling REAL bows and arrows. This would be around 1950. They were made of lemonwood and were gratifyingly powerful. I seem to remember they cost about 13sh. which was a lot of money to me, but I saved up 'til I could get one. 7th. heaven!!

Every morning I left home for school. On my way i passed men hard at work. I learned more about the ethic of hard work by watching them .

Early Lessons

Bum-banging satchel belaboured me
running the long street to school.

The mason, hand bunched thick
round the stock of a flat chisel,
watched me through glasses
frosted by a million flying chips,
returned to peck at that day’s shape.
Strange curves emerged
from a peck, peck, pecking,
patient as dripping water,
that discovered bits of houses
in the bones of earth.

The oily shed, home to an old tank engine
that seethed like a great black kettle on a hob
steam flowering from sprung seams.
I knew the sear of that coal-gulping maw
and the sudden vent of dragon breath
that filled the yard with scalding vapours
and belches of sulphur that engorged a sky
bannered with the smoke of a town girded for war.

In the farrier’s hearth,
a hoop glowed in its golden nest of coke
bellowed to a heat I felt feet away.
Mightily ringing the anvil with his bouncing hammer,
fettling the sparking iron and plunging it back
into the belly of fire, swarthy and grimed,
he chimed from the heart of a Vulcan reek
of quenched iron and burnt hoof.

Late as usual, I left to chase
into the place of hard desks
chalk and the long slow plod of hours;
a place where good French seemed a logical impossibility
and geometry was a foreign language.

Bloody 'ell Arthur, tha's working overtime there lad!

Here is my take on going to school:

"The Morning Farce", by Bernard Johnson age 66.

Walked to school,
got there late.
put on display
with the other bad uns.
A terrible way to shame a lad,
burrit was wasted on me,
I didn't give a damn.
Watched with amused contempt
collected masters lined up on a stage.
Sitting meekly with subservient air
while Neville Hinds spews words
of monumental insignificance.
Then after, all sing his chosen song,
pathetic bastards all.
A fitting end to a morning farce!

My first pome.

Bernard you seem to be exploding with ideas. Is this normal or merely a late flowering desire to keep this website alive with new thoughts in our dotage.