KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The ubiquitous Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' ale

It seems that most parts of the country I visit inevitably I will come across the award winning Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' ale. Of course, it varies in quality. Last week I was in Oxford and had occasion to sample it in the White Horse in Broad Street, next to to Blackwells bookshop. Needless to say the ardent students and the lecturers were knocking it back like it was going out of fashion. It is without doubt Keighley's most sublime export. And fuelling intellectual discussion at our greatest seat of learning.

Re: The ubiquitous Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' ale

It's available intermittently at my local in the West Midlands. Needless to say, I knock it back like your intellectuals whenever the narrow window opens.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

It's frequently a guest beer at the Rose & Crown off the old Barnstaple road near Tiverton in Devon. It seems to have a special magnet inside the door which attracts my brother from miles away! It's a damn sight better than the cold flat stuff usually served up round here. It's also available in the Hope pub in Goodge Street opposite Heal's furniture store in London. A highly recommended pub.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) Exeter, Devon

Keighley's most sublime export? What about the Litesome Athletic Support? Help Keighley, buy a jockstrap, as we used to say.

As mentioned in previous postings the Boltmaker East Parade Keighley or the Fleece Main Street Haworth keep the full range of Taylors Ales all in tip top condition.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Well done, lads. Who would have guessed that John Taylor (Baron Ingrow) was a Chairman of Governors of your old school?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

I am very fortunate that my office is immediately above the Arcadia wine bar in Headingley. If someone rings for me in the office, and I am in the Arcadia, our Receptionist can just say 'He's not at his desk, but Im sure he's in the building somewhere !'
Landlord is the favourite tipple here, though there is a following also for Black Sheep. These are the only two regular beers, all the others (many of them) are guest beers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) Wirral

Landlord is of course a superb beer but do not forget RAMTAM which I have only seen sold in Keighley, although it may be sold elsewhere or should be; a beer to be drank on frosty nights before the long walk home.
The beer in Keighley is so excellent because of Ingrow Spring water, which I understand is still used in the brewing , in some part, at least.
Re Baron Ingrow, it always struck me as ironic in the highest degree that he could sit as chief magistrate fining and punishing those worse the wear for drink purchased in his establishments!!
A pint of Taylor's and a Midgley's pie! The essence of Keighley captured in a simple but nourishing meal!
BTW shouldn't it read 'Support Keighley! Buy a Jockstrap!
As to Keighley exports it was with some delighted pride when walking round the Pringle store in Llanfair PG, Anglesey, that I saw a loom with 'Hattersley's, Keighley' in the cast iron frame
and while in the Solomon Islands, in the deep bush, I came across a wooden-rollered mangle with 'CWS Ironworks, Keighley' in the frame.
Time was we reached into the furthest, darkest corners of Empire from our grimey little town.
Arthur

That's right, Arthur.
Time was when with a young family and holidaying on the Welsh coast, we came upon the site of a quarry on a coastal cliff. Another dad (a friend) and I had been speculating on and disagreeing about the procedures formerly used there. When we came across an information board, it was shown that my guess was correct: that the quarry had tramwayed its product down the hillside and off the edge to be loaded onto anchored vessels. Thence wherever. We came across a roofless ruin which we guessed was a workshop - and in one corner and almost overgrown - was a lathe. I bet him it was made in Keighley. After being invited to "shove it", I gratefully discovered it had a manufacturer's plate bearing the name "Dean, Smith and Grace. Keighley". It didn't help when I told him my dad played cricket against them and Billy Johnson worked there.

A great vote of thanks to David Boddy for pointing out the handiest London pub to drink Landlord. I'll try this pub at the earliest opportunity David and buy you a pint if we recognise each other (there's a fairly recent photo of me in Friends Reunited but alas not on this site yet, an omission which I will remedy as soon as I can. Don't know of any others in central London do you David? There used to be a pub near Edgware Road that stocked Timothy Taylor's but I think it may have disappeared in the road realignment.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-'48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Back to Taylor's 'Landlord'. The story I heard about Landlord's recent increased popularity in the South is that it is due in no small part, to Madonna who was introduced to the drink by her husband, Guy Ritchie.
'Madge' appeared on the Johnathon Ross TV Show in 2003 extolling the virtues Of Taylor's Ales and in particular the Landlord 'tipple'. Taylor's Brewery were obliged to run extra 'brews' at weekends to keep up with increased demand.
Then again,two years later, in 2005, she appeared on the 'Parkinson' Tv Show, and when 'Parky' suggested that Fuller's London Beer was the best, Madonna countered with 'Taylor's Landlord is the Champagne of Ales'.
Following both of these instances, I have little doubt that more than the odd free barrel of ale found it's way from the Spring Brewery to 'Madge' Towers. If it didn't it should have done!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

i have just realised that it was Mr Rhodes and not Mr Boddy who mentioned the Hope pub in Goodge St. Sorry both Davids (and a drop hasn't touched my lips since lunchtime).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-'48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Yes, yes, yes. What a beer!

IW, can you recommend any PUB quiz nights.

Not in Keighley, no. The first question in a Keighley pub quiz is usually "Who do you think you are looking at?"

As mentioned above the Boltmaker not only do a good pint of Taylor's they do a good quiz on Tuesday Nights. By the way cut the sarcastic comments about Keighley. The town gave you all a good education.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Tom. On Taylor's website it is reported that Madonna frequently calls in at the 'Dog and Duck' in Soho, with her husband, and, with her flat cap pulled well down, asks for a pint and a half of Landlord! Also on the website there are detais of a Yorkshire ice- cream maker who uses The Landlord beer in the manufacture of his special 'Landlord Ice-cream' and lists the stylish department store, Harvey Nichols of Leeds, as one of his stockists. Never seen it myself!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

If you asked the legendary Ralph at the Hare and Hounds in Lothersdale what the difference was between mild and bitter, he'd always answer "3d a pint"! I reckon you could give Madonna and her public school mockney husband Golden Best instead of Landlord and they'd be none the wiser.

If you want a taste of Taylors, you can get Landlord in most localities; but when in Keighley I would always choose Taylors Bitter or Golden Best - the authentic local taste. Landlord is the pricier "export"

Was not a Bingley landlord fined for selling Taylors mild as bitter long ago?

Yes he was. Mind you, I always drank Golden Best in that particular pub.

In response to Tom Punt's request for other places in London that serve Landlord, there's the 'Crosse Keys' in Gracechurch Street.

Originally a Martins Bank branch, Landlord has always been available whenever I've been down - at reasonable prices also.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

It might interest some people or then again it might not but when Landlord Ale first came into being there was a local competition to give it a name. The competition was won by a worker at NSF who I worked beside. I know he won a money prize but it wasn't much,probably a good win at the time though. That would have been at the back end of the fifties or early sixties I should think. Arthur

Landlord won its first prize in 1957.
http://www.timothy-taylor.co.uk/ttaylor.htm

Excerpt from Taylors website:
July 5th 2007
Timothy Taylor’s popular session beer Golden Best added to the long list of awards won by the Keighley brewery when it was judged Champion Beer in the Mild Class of CAMRA’s Yorkshire Championship. The award was announced after a blind tasting at last month’s CAMRA 2007 Rotherham Real Ale Festival.
Second Brewer Andrew Leman commented, “We are obviously delighted the discerning drinkers of Yorkshire have recognised this genuine Pennine light mild. It is interesting to note that recently Golden Best is starting to go down increasing well in the South East where its easy drinking nature contrasts well with Madonna’s favourite beer – Landlord”.
Since 1928 Timothy Taylor’s beers have won over 70 prestigious awards with Landlord, the company’s classic strong pale ale, winning more industry and consumer prizes than any other English beer.

As a student in SW London I found the local ales (Red Barrel aside) very palatable. Youngs of Wandsworth and Fullers of Chiswick provided ample fortification before games at Twickers. Even Ben Trumans'made the grade. KBGS taught me the benefits of catholic taste in all the arts. Although we often chided local drinkers that their beers were not up to the Taylors' standard, we enjoyed the local brew in the local context. The same (and /or reverse) applies (in my estimation) to Timmy Taylors - viz - I think it's best to drink real ales in their own territory. Unless you're desperate for a taste of Taylors, I wouldn't seek it out and put it above Wadworths; Badger; Wells; Shepherd Neame et al on their own patch. But in a Keighley tavern - with a local pork pie and mushy peas - there's nowt to beat it.

Good Lord Terry, you actually enjoyed a pint of Youngs ! I worked in Wandsworth for a few years and
couldnt stand the stuff, though Fullers wasnt so bad.
My second choice after Taylors is what was my wifes local beer Adnams.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Message to Arthur
Having read your "chapter" on the brewing of Landlord I thought it might be interesting to talk to the brewer who formulated the ale.

I met up with Alan Hey, who retired from the Brewery some 17 years ago.
He spoke in detail of travelling to Yugoslavia, during their 1950's military upheaval, to collect the hops for an experimental brew.
Using FEMALE Styvian hops (Male hops have "pips" which can clog the sieving system) the brewing method was adapted for the new creation.
The beer was produced as a bottle "Competition Ale" and enries were invited to name the new brew.
Entries were sent in on the label removed from the bottle (or some such form) and the name Landlord was entered by the then Steward of the Drill Hall Club (Lawkholme Lane) Reg Shackleton.
The cash prize was £500.00.
Alan had succeeded Ernest Grinrod as Head Brewer at Taylors.
The Grinrod family's involvement with the pub/brewing trade continued as Ernest Grinrod was grandfather of Reg Shackleton !!
At Timothy Taylors, shortly after the addition of Sidney Fairclough to the Brewing Dept.( 1956ish) the Brewery decided to offer Landlord in draught as well as bottled form.
The list of awards is documented on the web-site as notated by Arthur S.

Alan Hey's reputation as Head Brewer was such that he was invited (and accepted) to speak to a Brewers and Publicans Conference in Harrogate regarding the creation and brewing of the Landlord ale.
Alan told me that the audience at the Conference was in excess of 2,500.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Thanks Derek for an interesting and thought provoking analysis of the beginnings of the ubiquitous Landlord ale. Yugoslavia must have been exciting in the fifties for travellers. In passing, was Alan Hey in any way related to the now defunct Hey brewery of Halifax perhaps.

Hi Dereck. Thanks for that. The guy who told me he had won the prize was called Lloyd but he could have been lying. I believed him at the time. I accept your version as being more close to the horse's mouth than my version. Nice to see you the other day. Arthur

Hi Peter D.

I made the enquiry of Alan Hey and he confirmed that despite his elevated position at Timothy Taylors, he isn't connected to the Hey's Brewery of Halifax.

As for the internal problems in Yugoslavia, he said of his "visit" that it was a question of reaching his appointed destination, selecting the hops, and returning to the UK. pdq.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Apart from making me thirsty all this talk of beer reminds me of a tale that made more sense back in the fifties when there were a greater range of ales( pre-lager) available in Keighley.
The tale concerns an Irishman coming to this country for the first time to see an auntie living in Keighley. He was advised to drink only in a Taylor's house. He arrived late in Keighley and on leaving the train the first pub he saw was The Victoria Hotel, he dashed in and said ' Is this a Taylor's House?' 'No we only sell Ramsden's Trough Ales here' He dashed out and up Cavendish Street till he saw the Cavendish Hotel. 'Is this a Taylor's House' he demanded, thirsty and breathless' No, this is House of Hey's' Out again and onto North Street, The Star gleamed ahead, there were ten minutes to closing and he dashed in. 'Is this a Taylor's House.' 'No, mate, Tetley's only here'.
'Jabers.' Back into the night till he stumbled, in the closing minutes, into the Albert Hotel, 'Is this a flaming Taylor's house ?'he gasped hoarsely.'Yes , mate, what can I get you? 'Thank God for that. Give me a pint of Guiness , quick'

I note a number of references to Hey's Brewery in Halifax, but can recall only Ramsden's, Whittaker's and Webster's in the town (all sadly no longer in existence).
I do, however, remember Hey's in the Lumb Lane area of Bradford (which also had Hammond's, off Manchester Road) Can anyone clarify?

Brian , you might find this link interesting and should more than answer your queries. Arthur

http://www.breweryhistory.com/Defunct/YorksWest.htm

Thanks for that Arthur.
It jogged the old memory cells of late-lamented breweries, many of which I was privileged to visit as a youngster in the 50s/60s.
There are also quite a few that I'd previously never heared of.