KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Did any KBGS chaps go into show business

Serious theatre, TV or film? Just wondering?

Re: Did any KBGS chaps go into show business

There was a young lad in lower school before I left called Ball who was a talented organist. I believe he appeared on TV. He came from some region like Worth or beyond. He suffered the indignity (at the voice of Albert Braithwaite) of being summoned to pay his dinner money with the call of "Singular".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Indeed , it was John Ball, who like me, was an organist, and he became organist at Keighley Parish church. He was irreverently known as 'John Organ and his balls'. I think he got the coveted FRCO diploma at an early age, or at least an ARCO.
He was on TV in a childrens program playing a cinema type organ , when he was about 14/15. He had a 'Jimmy Hill' chin and cheesy grin.
I have no idea what became of him but I dont think he went into show business

I seem to recall that Freda Hall was involved in his career at some point. Was she his tutor?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

My brother John (aka Graham) who would have been at KBGS around 1942-47 went straight from National Service into showbiz as a crooner/bass player. He toured with Benny Hill and others, appeared on television and radio shows such as Workers' Playtime, then set up his own band The Four Saints and lived in Italy and Spain for quite a few years. In 1963 he moved to Australia, made a couple of records and worked in clubs and lounges around Melbourne and Queensland. He is now semi retired from his yacht-brokerage business on the Gold Coast. I think he still does some choral work - last I heard he was rehearsing the Messiah.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) melbourne

Yes Terry I also recall that, but exactly what his relationship with Freda was I dont know.

Yes, I remember John Ball as well. I think everyone was a bit fed up with his profile (in more ways than one). Somebody said he came from Worth, but in fact he was from Cullingworth. I'm sure his dad was the local butcher because my uncle Woodiwiss used to try to stop me eating Ball's meat pies saying he'd seen the chap putting all sorts into them that morning and referring to them as "rat meat pies". After which, I couldn't eat them, and uncle had mine. Canny ploy!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) Exeter, Devon

Not quite as serious as the other posts but.....

On my regular foraging trip to Silsden last Friday, I parked in my usual spot (above the beck opposite the top of Briggate in Skipton Road) only to be approached by a chap in an orange day-glow jacket who said: ‘You can’t park there’.

‘Why not; I always park here’ I responded, which seemed to do the trick.

When I looked around, the top of Briggate and Skipton Road were deep with onlookers. Then I saw a camera, sound men, and a whole host of hangers-on.

Struggling through them, I eventually managed to get into ‘Bradley’s Butchers’ shop, but there was something different ……….

Peter’s prices had been written on the front window in whitewash and seemed too good to be believed. Talk about a ‘time warp’.

Then, as I was being served someone called ‘Action’ and a Rover 2000 rolled down Bradley Road, bumped into the kerb and pulled-up outside Peter’s shop. A woman got out, looked into the shop and walked away with her husband. ‘Cut’; and that was it.

For those of you who were at KBGS with Peter Bradley during the war-years and haven’t seen him since, if you watch one of the episodes of ‘The Royal’ then you might catch a glimpse of Peter and his son, Philip.

Strange that a ‘soap’ set in Scarborough has to come to Silsden to film.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

I can corroborate all that. My dad saw it. He also recalls, in about 1950, a film called "Up for the Cup", starring Albert Modley, was filmed in the Aire View area of Silsden, Hollywood of the North.

UP FOR THE CUP !! Ritz Cinema, Alice Street ,1951

Contained the well used "jocular"statement

First Fan "The game ended 0-0"

Second Fan "Oh, what was the score at half-time ??"

Ha Ha Ha Ha
Those were the days !!!!!

Over to you Arthur !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

The Craven Herald article about shooting scenes for 'The Royal' in Silsden can be found at:

Craven Herald article

It is due to be screened next February.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay