KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cullingford Saturday morning rambles

I wonder if any other people have recollections of Cullingford's Saturday rambles? The first one I seem to remember was to Bolton Abbey and the Strid and, no, we didn't lose any idiots in the Strid! We used to meet by the cinema, which I think was the Regent, and it seemed a very informal sort of set-up. At the time, apart from Peart's railway club, this sort of informal gathering was usual. One particular Saturday I remember well. Only two of us turned up and Cullingford asked how much money we had on us. It turned out to be just enough to catch the 31 bus and pay for entry to Headingley Cricket Ground for the Test Match. What we hadn't taken into account was how hot it was that day, and I have an over-riding memory of being thirsty all day because we had no more money for ice creams or drinks. We always took a packed lunch. It was a wonderful day, despite the thirst. Masters were distant and formal and to spend time with one like that was quite something. This must have been around summer 59 when I was in 1c.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) Exeter, Devon

Re: Cullingford Saturday morning rambles

David, you and I must have been classmates in 1C. I think I remember your name, but not very clearly!
I didn't participate in any of Gus's weekend jaunts, living too far from Keighley for an additional Saturday bus trip to hold much appeal (except for the occasional House rugby match). I agree that he was one of the good guys, however, and probably the one I would single out as having inspired me most in my early years at KBGS.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

Yes, I can remember you, Brian, very clearly because, if I remember rightly, you came in from Queensbury with Brian Entwistle, who later for a while became a close friend before we all were shunted in different directions through form grading. I have very fond memories of Cullingford - I thought it was Gus we nicknamed him, but wasn't sure until now - but I kept out of the way of Sports because Gilbert Swift had just the opposite effect on me, and even now I have no time for football, rugby, etc. Interesting how these people have had long-lasting effects upon us all. Even now I have nightmares of having left my kit at home or having lost my timetable, so not knowing which room to go to. Remind me, Brian, was our form room number 58 at that time? I seem to remember it was on the corridor opposite the D corridor. Perhaps some other 1C members might have their memories jogged here. It would be nice if some others joined in. ("NICE? - there's no such word", as Kenny Prutt would say.)

Right on all counts, David, including Queensbury and "Ernie" Entwhistle who sat next to me - back row, corridor side in Room 58.
The room is located exactly where you describe, on what has been referred to, elsewhere in this forum, as "the cardboard corridor". Did that corridor lead along to the Chemistry labs, or am I on the wrong floor?
Incidentally, Alan Britten and John (Marcus) Felvus, other members of 1C that year, are both regular contributors on this site as you may have noticed Two other classmates, John Clapham and John Haygarth, sadly have both died recently. I think Barry Lorrimer is the only other one I've had contact with. Anyway, that accounts for seven of us - not bad for starters!

In reply to your question, Brian, the chemistry labs were located on the far end of the cardboard corridor. I checked with my brother when he called the other day. He was 3 years up from me and was into science, so could remember. I knew John Haygarth quite well as we both originally came from Riddlesden. Like you, he was moved up, whereas I slid sideways into 2F and then onwards to 3G2. You probably remember we had Vince Firman for geography, and his opening gambit was "Firman by name, Firman by nature". He didn't take long in making us realise that when a kid called, I think, Darlington tried it on with him and took quite a beating before being thrown out into the corridor with a thud. I think it was a fair example of learning the limits. Did we have Beaky Birch for maths in 1C? I sometimes get confused between what happened in 1C and 2F. Beaky's speciality was picking on some poor sod to bring up to the front as an example. If it was to do with compass directions, he knew this one always threw me and would specifically pick me out for this question and delighted in me getting it wrong. His favourite statement was "Tell the class. Your brothers would know this." Can't think of polite words to call Birch, and I always blame his terrorising for making me fear maths and ultimately failing in it. He did teach me where south was though and I headed there. Was Albert Pratt in 1C? You and I seem to be the only members of 1C prepared to exchange banter about this, which is a shame because it would be good to widen it out. There seem to be a lot of KGBS site voyeurs who look but don't take part. Don't they understand that it wouldn't exist if people didn't pitch in?

Yes David, we did have Beaky for maths in 1C. He taught part-time (mornings only as I recall) having "retired", probably the previous summer. One of his party pieces was to mimick the stereotypical mother with, "Little X was always good at maths at primary school" before proceeding to enlighten her about the subject encompassing more than "simple" arithmetic. He also referred frequently and disdainfully to what he termed our "County Minor" examination success. Beaky lived alongside the main road at Riddlesden and was always picking on a small lad called McVeigh, who was unfortunate enough to be a near neighbour as well as having had older brothers at the school. Mad on cricket Beaky was too! After finally handing in his board duster at KBGS, he did a brief stint at the Girls' Grammar, but died quite soon afterwards, certainly before our school moved to Oakbank around 1964.
I also share your recollections of Vince without fondness, including the Willie Darlington incident. The lad had the audacity to blame his failure to achieve the statutary 50% homework test score on deafness, with the consequences you recall.
Albert Pratt, I believe, inherited his father's undertaking business in Wilsden and , for all I know, is still there.
As you say, it's a great pity about our non-contributing readers, particularly as you and I seen to have developed a thread of our own here. C'mon you lot out there!

I dont remember rambles with Gus but I certainly remember bike rides with 'Nancy' Leeming. I remember a strenuous one where we ended up at Stump Cross Caverns above Pateley Bridge.

Now that this is a 1C reunion, I remember David, I also remember being the poor sod that Beaky used to pick on continually. I was last in maths right through 1st Form. Funny when we went up into 2nd Form and I didn't have Beaky for a teacher, I was 1st in maths.

I do remember one Saturday ramble, forgive me if I get the spelling wrong, to Mallam Tarn.

Well, I had forgotten that Willy Darlington had blamed his failure on deafness, but what sticks in my mind is his brass neck in compounding his felony by asking first of all if he could do his lines on a typewriter which, as you can imagine, didn't go down very well and only doubled the number of his lines. But then he really stoked it up by asking if he could use carbon paper. Yikes! I think we were all hiding, waiting for the inevitable eruption.
Yes, Albert Pratt did go into his father's undertaking business. I had a bizarre encounter with him when he did my uncle's funeral in Denholme. You can imagine how odd it was, not having seen him in some 40 years. He was still totally recognisable, having swapped his green blazer for an undertaker's suit. It's really pleasing to hear from Marcus - I remember him so well. He was always such a bright and decent sort of fellow. Not at all like some of the sharp characters. What I do remember quite clearly as a first former is how, when faced with Gilbert Swift's freezing cold showers (we always used to try and run round the back to avoid the cold spray), our diversity was so apparent. Some of us, me included, were just scraps of kids, lambs to the slaughter. Didn't we all hate those physical specimens who leapt across the vaulting equipment with such aplomb? Most of us struggled and were derided for it.
Managed to contact Tony Cullingford in a roundabout sort of way and had a very kindly reply from him. Typical of the man - what a pity there weren't more like him in that place.
Any more of 1C out there hiding?

There were two McVeighs at KBGS during my time there. I knew them both through the Keighley Methodist Circuit. Peter was older than me and a sub-prefect then next year a prefect. He was a Methodist Lay Preacher and after his university degree trained for the ministry. His younger brother, Robert, was a student (2 years in arrears) at the same London college as me and John Topham and I believe became a teacher. As a student, he took part in a week-long fast for a 3rd world charity appeal. Both Mc Veighs lived in Riddlesden and are probably the ones referred to.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

David,
Is there any chance you could get Tony Cullingford to contribute to our current "ramblings"? (The "down-memory-lane" version of course!)
I'm sure he'd be greeted with respect (approaching affection maybe) by those of us who were fortunate enough to have encountered him and his inspirational teaching.
Despite spending the past 35 years in teaching, I don't grant such appraisal to many fellow pedagogues!

Good idea - but how reliable would his ramblings be? My last recall of the said Cullingford was when he took a full on-drive on the forehead from Frank Wellock (I think)in a Camp cricket match versus Gatehouse of Fleet around July 1960. I am sure he would deny recalling the incident - under the circumatances,who could?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Just had some great memories from Tony Cullingford via email. Not sure how to put them on the site. Brian (Craven), please could you contact me directly, as you can probably sort it out. You seem to have changed your email address since you signed on.

I thought he had passed away some years ago in an accident in Africa, in whch case he cant contribute !Can anybody confirm this ?

Current location (optional) Wirral

I recall reading about the accident not very long after he left KGS, but received no follow-up information. If, as you believe Brian, the accident was fatal, then Gus must be a very accomplished IT exonent indeed according to David's latest posting!

As I recall, Gus went from KBGS to do good works in Africa. Fell of Mt Kilimanjaro (just as I probably just fell off the spelling of it...)but lived to tell the tale despite a significant bump or two. He'll no doubt recount this if pressed, and if the memory is not too painful. The actual incident must've been!

I've exchanged e-mails this week with the said A.C.C. (aka "Gus"), having obtained his address via David Rhodes. His response, as expected, was interested and friendly. More to the point, it confirms his mountaineering accident wasn't fatal!