KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
YCCC leading the way

You don't think Yorkshire County Cricket Club might win the championship in 2007. Bowling attack looks formidable. Anyway, top of the table for now.

Re: YCCC leading the way

With what's happened to Sheffield United, Leeds United, Bradford City and Rotherham United we need YCCC to redress the balance this summer. It can't be left to Farsley Celtic alone to raise Yorkshire's sporting spirits.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Yep I think they can do it this year. Bresnan to back up Goughy and Hoggard, and Gillespie in the seam dept (maybe we wont see much of Hoggard for the county' Young Rashid looks a good prospect and not just as a bowler), Lawson also looks a good second spinner. We also seem to have 2 wicketkeepers who can bat a bit. Joe Sayers looks a decent opener, then of course we have the red nosed reindeer.
Yeah , we should be up for it, provided the weather doesnt spoil too many games.
Might even sneak out of my Headingley office as I work 2 days a week there.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Headingley?? Should that read Headingley Carnegie these days?? Could anyone explain that modification of name please? Arthur

This is a sore point with those living near to the ground. Leeds Metropolitan University either bought a big share in, or entered into an agreement with, the company running Headingley Stadium. LMU incorporates the Beckett's Park Campus, which is the site of the former Carnegie College. Hence the rebranding of the stadium as Headinglet Carnegie. It was the redevelopment of the site that raised hackles. There is now an enormous stand that overshadows a number of nearby homes, and residents were "up in arms" over the night working when the building was taking place. So, if you're thinking of attending a match Arthur, don't call it Carnegie if you're asking directions from locals.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

It will always be Headingley for me, Shaun. Not where I viewed my first county game, (that was Park Avenue) but it is where I first saw Hutton bat and Bowes bowl. I had written into an earlier will my wish for my ashes to be secretly scattered on a good length at Headingley one midnight when the moon was high. By gum but I could have taken some wickets there, tha knaws. Arthur

The current table topping Yorkshire lads are performing next week in one of England's prettiest grounds, Tunbridge Wells. I will be there after work most days. I wonder whether the most famous KBGS former pupil Lord Asa Briggs will also be there. He lives nearby in Lewes.