KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paul Sugden

It is with deep sadness I have to inform you that Paul Sugden (KBGS 1958-1963) past away yesterday Sat 31st March.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: Paul Sugden

I have very fond memories of Paul. Living close by we walked to school together for years, along with Colin Kirkham(?). Paul and his brother used to perform wonderful harmony versions of the Everly Brothers' songs - while most of us were into Jerry Lee or Litle Richard, they knew what got the girls in - Ebony Eyes, Devoted to You!
Last time I saw Paul was in January 2001. After a long illness he looked aged beyond his years and I said farewell to him then, to returnto Oz, with some sadness.
My condolences to his family - rest in peace Paul.

Trevor

I also remember Paul, though I didnt know him well, and I do remember he sang a bit, and was in the school choir.
I am sorry to hear of his passing

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Paul was a very good singer. Paul, Trevor Coe, Chris Wilcock,Tim Dickinson and myself (all ex KBGS)were in a group together call The Nite Shift. Paul and I also worked together on two occassions first at a firm of accountants in Keighley,and then at Bradford & Bingley Building Society. Paul's big claim to fame was that he was related to Mollie Sugden (Mrs Slocombe of Are You Being Served.)Unfortunately he was not in good health for many years, but passed away peacefully.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Ah yes, I had forgotten Paul was related to Mollie (a school friend of my mothers, and one time engaged to Sam Riley). But I never knew if they were related to the Sugdens at 1 Westburn Ave (corner house with Oakworth Rd), where father was Frank Sugden, son Philip ,and daughter Judith (same year as me)

Current location (optional) Wirral

I am Paul's younger brother. Thanks for the entries about Paul.
Incidentally, yes, we were a different branch of the same family as Frank Sugden of Westburn Avenue.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 63-68

Current location (optional) Millom

Just want to register my belated condolences.
I well remember Paul when I was in 5c, he and Pete Carr were great mates, managing to"stir" things up in class,and getting away with it too! Paul certainly brightened up my last year at KBGS.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 57- 62

Current location (optional) New Zealand

What sad news. Pual and Stewart Ebden used to do an Everly Brothers turn in our band The Senators back in 1960. Stewrat's still around thought, and still sings.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 57-62