KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A very weird KBGS flashback

I was in a news agent shop in East Sussex the other day and weird smell hit my nostrils. The smell caused me stand to stand bolt upright and close my eyes momentarily to analyse deeply what it was. It was the smell of refrigerators, cheap ice lollies and stale products. Plus a foreign shop assistant whose nationality I knew not. I had been transported back 40 years to the Leda ice lolly shop next to the KBGS playground in Alice Street. Some smells you just can't erase from your mind.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-69

Current location (optional) London

Re: A very weird KBGS flashback

I have always maintained that if I was to be blindfolded and then taken back to the changing room in the old gymnasium ,I would know instantly where I was. And that's after 60 years !!EYGR

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Sassafras, Tasmania

Thanks for the memory, Mike. Me too. I can smell it now - that and the odour and steamy atmosphere of the changing room on the bottom corridor used on Saturday mornings for house matches at Rose Cottage. Both senior and junior teams shared the space; - theoretically consecutively, one vacating the spaces for the other; in practice, mayhem. Carbolic reigned supreme.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Yes (MF) it's an indelible 'smell'especially the cider,pink champagne and spearmint lollies! That shop (Dan Delucci's I think we called it although actually Leda's as you say)and its staff of Dan, the delectably rotund and stentorian Momma and the attractive Gina bring back many hilarious situations to mind especially when we young lads used to take the mick out of the Italian accent and interpretation of what we were saying.
Does anyone out there have a photo of Alice Street then when the shop was around and/or its charismatic staff?

I only visited the prefects' room in the old building once. It stank of cigarette smoke and oranges.

Another smell one can't erase is the stink of the West Yorkshire buses. That X67 Express with its aroma of disinfectant, nicotine and urine is still about. Although the female bus conductors were not unnatractive. I remember one with very large breasts.