KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reunion 2007

For more info on Keighley's past rockers have a look at www.thenomads.co.uk

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

I thought this subject heading was all about the reunion, noot some obscure Rock bands

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Sassafras, Tasmania

Mike. Most of the 'obscure' rock bands were formed at the schools in Keighley and quite a few from KBGS - but yes let's get back to the Reunion 2007. How many more have signed up?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Sorry to digress from the reunion theme, but the following might be of interest to a couple of you!!
The X in 4X, as far as I can remember, which is not very far, stood for Express. We did our GCE O-Levels at the end of the 4th year, when some of us were only 14 years old. I have always suspected the wisdom of this move, as I spent a lot of time in my 3 years in the 6th Form, taking O-Levels to try to catch up on what I'd missed in form 4X. I only took 6 in 4X, and failed one of them! English Lang, would you believe? "Yes" came the answer, in unison.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

You are absolutely right Alan.
I was the only one to take 8 (Most did 6 or 7) subjects in 4X , as I did music as an extra (not taught by BV Paynes, but they let me take it with the other three doing it with BVP) . I also shamefully failed English Lang first go but got a high grade on the resit.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) Wirral

I am hoping to go to the Reunion in September, but as I have not stayed in or near Keighley since I left in 1946, can anyone suggest a suitable hostelry within ten miles or so ? I have to say I like my creature comforts and these days expect to have to pay for them. I would appreciate the views of anyone who is currently familiar with the area.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) Isle of Man

Peter.The Jarvis Bankfield Hotel at the Shipley end of the Bingley By-pass(A650)is a well-established hotel in the area. The new(ish) by-pass would enable you to get to Utley in 15mins or so. Also, The Hollins Hall Hotel and Country Club on Hollins Hill, Shipley(Marriott Chain)looks like a classy establishment. Add another 5/10 mins travelling time to the above. Both hotels are listed as '3 star'and details of their respective amenities can be found on the internet, of course. Hope this is of help to you,Peter.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Thank you,David, for your email and the information. I will keep a note of the two hotels, but as I will be coming (and going) on the IOM ferry from Heysham, and also visiting Sedbergh, I was thinking more of somewhere on the Skipton side of Keighley. ( I am not the keen driver I used to be !). I certainly look forward to meeting some of you in September. Kind regards , Peter Nichols

Peter. I was given another 3 star hotel last night, which might fit in with your thinking. The Rendezvous Hotel(formerly Randall's)is located on the main Keighley road about a mile this side of Skipton. I've never been inside but it's a big place, backs on to the canal, and the interior looks good on their website. Also two 2 star establishments which are 'very clean', are The Beeches Hotel opposite Victoria Park in Keighley, which is a Toby Inn; and the Dalesgate Hotel which is virtually 'next door' to Rose Cottage at Utley (our venue,of course). Both have listings on the internet. Hope this helps. David

Peter
The Beeches Toby Hotel Bradford Road Keighley is very good The telephone number is 01535 610611

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Ah, the dreaded Isle of Man Steam Packet Company and the good ship Ben McChree. I have spent many a tedious and expensive journey in their company. Next one August bank holiday weekend.

With recent experience. The Five Rise Locks Hotel in Bingley is civilised with a nice view of the Aire Valley and quiet rooms. Or the Apothecary Hotel in Haworth is great for atmosphere and closeness to the Fleece in the high street which has a full range of Timothy Taylors. Bingley about £50 a night, Haworth about £30. Both with breakfast.

Thank you all for your recommendations, a response much appreciated. Souinds like things have improved a lot since 1946, when I was not aware of any !
If I knew who " I.W." was I would say drop in for a coffee when you over here in August; we are in the phone book.
Hope to meet some of you in September--Peter Nichols

Only five more weeks to go! So don't forget, if you intend going, you must send in your completed Application Form to Robert Bracken by the 24th of this month, together with payment, of course. We all hope you are still'on course' for making it, Chris, and if so, look forward to meeting up with you, our 'Webmaster', on the day. Safe journey to all OB's making the trip, and Chris, of course!

I am coming up to the reunion on September 7. How many others. who visit this website, will be there? I know Spike is coming and we (my son-in-law and myself) will be there witn Paul Greenwood.It would be great if we could have a list of those intending to be there particularly any from the Arts 6th 1947/

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-'48

Current location (optional) Epsom

I just wanted to wish all those who attend the reunion all the best for a happy and enjoyable weekend. No doubt we will read of it on here, with a few giveaway photos. How many attendees are expected? Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland,NZ