KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Quantum Leap, anybody?

The early nineties' TV series 'Quantum Leap' is being aired again on some digital channel or the other. We used to watch it with our son when he was wee and have been watching the reruns for nostalgia's sake. For those of you who've been spared this series, the story line is that Sam Beckett, a handsome thirty-something year old, is able to travel in time and occupy the bodies of individuals in the past in order to save them from some horrible fate. For example he can, with all the knowledge and worldly wisdom he now possesses, inhabit the body of a schoolboy and, by acting differently and making different choices, he can change the way the schoolboy's life would otherwise have progressed. So question: if, knowing what you know now, you could zap back through time and inhabit your fourteen-year-old body, what would you do differently? What would you say to Kenny Prut and Stoker Stockdale? And to Harry Blinks and to Fiery Firman? To Basher Braithwaite and, yes, to Joe Watthey? Answers by return. Yorkie bar for the best answer (funded by Chris).

Re: Quantum Leap, anybody?

C'mon then try it, if you think you're hard enough !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Well some of you might remember 'Stoker' had a habit when. if you were fiddling with you pencil, he would come over break it in two and say 'You have two to play with now'
When Stoker took me to Joe for the cane, I now wish I had grabbed the cane, broke it in two and said the same thing.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I never saw the Stoker do the pencil trick but Gobbo Pickles the music master did it on a regular basis.
What I most remember the Stoker for is "Poor old Johnny's dead and gone,his face we'll see no more. For what he thought was h2o was h2so4"
and another gem from Stockdale was " when you go camping you never pitch your tent near a lime kiln,or you will wake in the morning and find yourself dead".Something must have rubbed off for me to have remembered these for over 50 years.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Hate to be boring but if I had my time again I'd make sure I wasn't the class clown and would have studied a lot harder - it would have made life much easier down the track! Still done OK but - what could have been!!
Then again, I did enjoy my time at KBGS so if I'd been a little swot I probably would not have the wonderful memories I do.
Nope, wouldn't change a thing- all character building stuff!

OK! So who won the chocolate ??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Steve Hughes. However he didn't show up for the presentation so I ate it for him.

I'd tell Gilbert that Rugby Union is not the only sport in the world.