KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School Uniforms

The other day I was perusing 1946 and 1950 panoramic photographs of the school and comparing them with a photograph of the Girls' Grammar School taken at about the same time. [My late wife was a pupil at Greenhead] The difference is quite remarkable - not just because one features girls and the other, boys - but because without exception, the girls are wearing a school uniform [white blouse and gymslip]. There is very little 'uniform' about the boys' dress. In fact, apart from a few 1st and 2nd formers who are wearing blazers, anything was worn - from leather bomber jackets to suits. Sports jackets were very popular and open necked shirts also. Why was this? It couldn't all be blamed on clothes rationing - or could it? I seem to recall that on my very first visit to the school a couple of days before the start of my first term in 1945, the new boys were allocated to a 'House', in my case Smith. My mother was advised to buy a green blazer and cap and stitch on to both, a KBGS badge in blue. I have a vague recollection of rummaging through a box of assorted de luxe caps [prewar?] which had the house colours dividing off the segments, in the forlorn hope that I might find one to fit. Fat chance! They'd been well picked over by previous intakes and only heads which were either very large or very small hit the jackpot. But after this initial advice, I cannot recollect any measures being taken to enforce the wearing of a uniform. Does anyone?
Was school uniform worn before the war? Long after my time I think green and white striped blazers were introduced.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45 -50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Re: School Uniforms

Yes, I recall the green caps, I think mine had yellow flashes on it, Brigg House I think. I can also recall my elder sister at Greenhead with white blouse and gym slip, but as you say, no uniform enforced for boys. However, I do recall having detention for being out of school, on the way home, without a cap. And again for eating in the street whilst wearing a Grammers School cap !!. I think it was "Silver" Birch that caught me both times.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43/46

Current location (optional) Steeton, now West Wales

See the thread "Those marvellous green and white striped blazers" on P11.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Why was 'Nick' Hind always pictured glancing slightly to the right? Check out all the photos with him on them - it's uncanny. Everybody else stares straight ahead. He always looks to the right so that you get a sideways-on view of his face. Was he missing his right ear?

In the early '50s there didn't appear to be any insistence on the wearing of the school uniform.After the first flush of pride in wearing my new school blazer etc, in the second form, I chose to wear a brown leather gherkin that looked pretty macho at the scouts so I thought I would wear it to school with brown knee-length cords. It passed unremarked until, en route back from the "bogs" and in lesson time, I was stopped by Old Nick who asked me why I was out of class and if my outfit was school uniform. We both knew the answer and I didn't wear them again.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Following Terry's comments.
In 1950 the "rule" was , school uniform i.e. Blazer with house badge, white shirt worn with house tie, dark grey or black trousers, black shoes.
This was upto and including year 4 but in year 5 pupils could wear a "tasteful" sports coat rather than a blazer.
Judging from the 1954 photograph, "tasteful" had a somewhat varied interpretation !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Current location (optional) Keighley

That shows real chutzpah wearing a brown leather gherkin Terry. I wish I'd been there.

Oi Weh! A leather gherkin already!! But then, you're right - we were so poor!

Were you allowed to wear clogs to school in them days?

Its no doubt been mentioned before but in about 1960-61, senior boys refused to wear the school cap, and 'Joe' Watthey decreed that official headwear for senior boys was to be a Sou'Wester.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Brian, it's March 1 not April 1.

My first school as a teacher had a policy on dress which generated the antithesis of school uniform. There was a school uniform but as the head maintained that the poorer families could not afford two outfits (school and leisure), almost all designated themselves poor. Leather gherkins had nowt on denim jeans, boots, Mountie Python lumberjack shirts and donkey jackets (Army and Navy couture)were de rigueur. One youth out Sonnyed Sonny Bono in his Cher days - a cut down fur coat picked up at a jumble sale, shoulder length hair and pimples galore. The Old Man was right to put me right.

A leather jacket is called a 'jerkin' - a gherkin (gerkin) is a type of pickle - and I should know!!!!

Brian is, as usual, absolutely right about the sou'wester thing - I remember that vividly. Must've been about '64 that he came out with that one...don't recall anyone actually sporting one though - probably too busy trying to squeeze into the gherkins (sorry, Terry)...

Got myself into a right pickle there. Thanks for coming to the rescue, Trevor. I had totally missed the point. Fortunately, no corrections or detention will ensue.

Isn't here a pickle that sounds like Marston also ?
(Tongue in cheek)P6

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Branston???

Denis re your original post. There was clothing rationing during that period and blessed if you could have got a blazer if you had to. I think the regulations re dress were suspended and perhaps never reinstated. I do recall the house colours being around and perhaps it was the hats. Red for Barrett, yellow for Brigg, blue for Smith and purple for Longsdon.
Mind you my memory dims, for instance I am sure that Barret House, my illustrious Alma Mater, won everything in those days, even the Courtesy Cup.

Memory plays strange tricks, Artur. I think Longsdonians would prefer the description mauve to purple. In my years at school, every year Smith House won the Proctor Cup (for the house with the least penalty points for being noticed by the masters - courtesy? The rest of us had another name).We never won it once but we did win the House Shield twice (when Don Chadwick was House Captain and in my last year). Not much Barret House about in those days - unless you were house hunting from a helicopter!!

I can remember the exciting occasion in 1947 when my mother took me to Willis Walkers,the Sports store to buy my green blazer,cap,tie,white football jerset and black shorts as per list.We used to wear the cap at the back of the head at an angle. Happy days eh?
Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ