KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: cobbles, trams and cathodes

In answer to Alan's questions. Behind the hoardings was the Corporation stone yard. This eventually became The Town Hall Square often referred to as The Old Man's Park. The building at the side of the Mechanics Institute was the United Methodist Free Church who broke away from the Wesleyans following a dispute. It was opened in 1868 and has long since been demolished.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

The church was taken down and the construction of the new Tech College was begun when I was at KBGS. In the 3rd year, I was in Beaky's form and our form room was 36 on the Junior Corridor overlooking Lord Street. Often the daring deeds of the steel erectors were more riveting (ahem) than the lessons taught.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

The basement of the United Methodist Free Church was for a number of years, the home of the 100th Squadron Keighley of the A.T.C., and I can recall joining this young band of lads, a few years after the end of the war. The building itself was in a 'semi-derelict' state at that time and we were not allowed into the abandoned Church area on the first floor. The basement walls were loosely papered over to try and hide the large clumps of fungi growing there and the whole building appeared to be in a terminal state of decline. Having said all that, we all seemed to enjoy ourselves, the table tennis was good and we did an awful lot of marching, which held us in good stead when the call for National Service came. The 'trips out' were quite good too. I remember my first flight in 1948 from Yeadon Airport in a bi-plane, a DeHaveland Domini. We all thought we were going to be sick-but we weren't.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Terry. Room 36! Hallowed Ground. I was in there for two years at least, with Beaky Birch who once harangued me for missing my Maths homework by calling me ( oh the shame, the shame) he called me Namby-Pamby, in front of the whole class, and there's more, he heaped burning coals of humiliation upon my head by further informing me that I could not say Boo to a goose. They had vicious mouths in those days. It was a source of some considerable personal pleasure that I topped out at Maths that year and every succeeding year to eventually end my working days lecturing in the subject at Bradford College. Namby Pamby indeed. I showed him. Or did he know me better than I knew myself? Arthur

I just thought of another interlude, "London to Brighton in Two Minutes".

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

Brilliant! 5 interludes identified. I think we've got the full set.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

With regard to earlier postings regarding horse-drawn trams, the United Methodist Free Church and the Mechanics' Institute, I have obtained an old photograph which shows all three items mentioned, which I will pass to our Webmaster for inclusion on the website. The photograph was passed to me by a well-known, local photographer and collecter, Mr Bill Palmer.

If I remember rightly the music used for the interlude from London To Brighton was called the Coronation Scot.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Was that the same theme music used for the Paul Temple radio series? Or was that before your time,David? All of a sudden I'm beginning to feel old!!

Hum it and we'll tell you....

Cobbles - or to be more proper Setts.

Devonshire Street West had cobbles at the sides, and I think most of the minor streets to the side were all setts.

When I was a conductor in '69 I remember riding a double decker down the setts on Haworth main street. Talk about bucking broncos .....

Talking of setts there are signs in Skipton warning motorists not to park on the setts on market days. It must mystify most offcomed'uns.

Trams. I'm sure my dad told me that the trams went out one mile in 3 directions - Ingrow, Utley and Riddlesden (probably Bar 'Ouse Lane). I think they must have had a problem with gradients.

The tram shed was, and still is, on South Street just a little beyond Queens Road.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-67

Bill - what's the tram shed used for nowadays?

in answer to the question about trams and cobbles, Keighley's last tram ran 17th December 1924. Keighley's last trolley bus/trackless 31st August 1932. Bradford last tram to Queensbury 5th November 1949 and very last Bradford tram 6th May 1950. Last Leeds tram 7th November 1959. Yes, Keighley did still have cobbles in the 50s. I have a photograph of the junction of Cavendish Street, East Parade and Station Bridge with a West Yorkshire bus turning into Cavendish Street over the cobbles. I know this is nothing to do with the Grammar School, but answers the questions posed. I think there were also cobbles at either side of the tarmac in West Lane.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

I cannot see any mention of Yorkshire Traction, were they not the main bus operators at one time ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 42/44

Current location (optional) Steeton now West Wales

Just to add to the setts discussion.
Still in existence !! Drive up Spring Gardens Lane, passed Devonshire Park and take a left up Woodville Road.
As you drive up Woodville Road and onto View Road, you will encounter the said setts on each side of the tarmac for the majority of the road length.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

That's right, Derek - I remember the cobbles on Woodville Road from my last trip home a couple of years ago. I also seem to recollect that Dalton Lane was cobbled in the fifties - but maybe I'm mistaken?

Sitting in the osteopath's waiting room a couple of days ago waiting for my daughter I picked up a book to browse through to while away the time. It was a gem - The Essential West Riding. There were plenty of pre-war photos, many showing cobbled streets. There were a few of our locality. Bracken Street and Hainworth Lane, the latter showing the outside privies. Hallas bridge Mill at Cullingworth. And a shop in Lees which had a sign with just the word "clogs" on it. I remembered the first three, though in my memory much less ramshackle than they appeared in the photos, but I can't recall the "clogs" shop at all. Does anyone know where it was?
There was one other photo from the Keighley area. The legend said "Dockroyd, near Oakworth". It must have been a farm because there was a stack of milk churns next to a gateway. Does anyone know where Dockroyd is/was?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Harry "Bobwire" Greenwood was the clog man at Cross Roads. His Clog shop was in a house at the top of Syke now known as Lees Lane. I have a photo of it tucked away. He moved to his present place in the village sometime in the 50's. Where he is now and what people know as the clog shop, used to be a plumbers workshop, initially when I was a young lad,Albert Snowden and when he gave it up it was taken up by Dennis Plaice.When Harry retired his son Ellis took over the business and he only sold out a few years ago. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Dockroyd is part of Oakworth not far off Station Road, heading down towards the Railway station, as I recall. There would have been a farm there but in my day there were a few houses.I walked a girl home there from Haworth pictures a couple of times when I was about 16.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ