KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gym Team 1942

A couple of fascinating photos. Thanks to whoever posted them. Does anyone have any names to go with the pictures? And is that Gilbert Swift I see demonstrating his gymnastic prowess as part of the pyramid?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Gym Team 1942

Shaun- The two photographs of the Gym Team were given to me for scanning and posting by Derek Lee, who appears on the 'seated' photo, second left on the front row. He is third right standing,on the'pyramid'photo. Derek also provided the 1996 Reunion Photograph(NEW),where he is second left on the back row. In addition, in the 'Now and Then' section(top right)is a 2004 reunion photograph of some 1937'schoolboys'from the 1st Form of that year, which unfortunately has not transferred successfully, and Derek is on that one too. I shall contact Chris and see if he can have another 'crack' at that one. And 'Yes' Shaun, that is Gilbert Swift 'in the thick of it',as usual.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Had rationing not taken its toll in 1942? If so, these lads show not a trace of undernourishment - certainly not of obesity - a shining example to compare with the over-indulgence which followed the end of rationing.Welcome back, Stafford Cripps??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

That was the first thing that struck me about the 1942 gym team Terry, My first thoughts were of the poor old POW of the Japanese because of the shape of the shoulders. Present day youth are all bulk in the upper arm area, as well as everywhere else.!! How my mother hated Sir Stafford Cripps, but a bit of austerity would not go amiss in this consuming society right now. Getting back to the Photo I really thought I would recognise a few faces but was amazed to see none I remember. I don't remember another Gym team from 1943 on , I suppose because Gilbert Swift went into the forces.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1943-1946

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Shouldn't that be 'Welcome back steak and chips', Terry?

The year 1942 was the height of Food Rationing during the second world war and availability of'fats'was very limited. Anyone interested should go to Google and type in 'WW2 Food Rationing' and have yourself a little smile. You were only allowed 2oz of butter per week and 4oz of margerine! Little wonder we came out of the war looking lean(and mean)!! Sweets came 'off ration' in the early 1950s some 7 years after the end of the war!!
Mike mentioned that he didn't remember any School Gym Teams after 1943, although I do remember being a member of such a team in 1949/50 and performing on stage at the Municiple Hall in front of a large audience. What the occasion was I do not know(the memory dims) Could it have been Speech Day?

There's a story about Churchill (detail not totally guaranteed) that when he saw a week's ration for a family thought it was a day's ration for one and wondered how the people survived on it. Gilbert's team is photographic evidence that they could do pyramids on it.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

It takes me back seeing the bars and the ropes in the old gym. I was in a gym yesterday looking at the ropes and thought "ells bells" --------- I wouldn't like to try to swarm up them now !
Was it Pirates that we played in the gym where all the different apparatus were distributed around the gym floor and we had to navigate it without touching the floor?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland

I've just been looking at the Gym Team 1942 Pyramid photo again and saw something which I hadn't appreciated earlier, even though I posted the photos on the site. The 'lad' in the forefront of the picture is actually standing, legs apart, on the back of the necks of the two lads doing handstands either side of him!!! It looks pretty uncomfortable to me and I would think they could not hold that position for too long. I must remember to ask Derek Lee about this when next I see him at the Retired Men's Forum

I do not mock. Truly, I do not. I mean I never made it to any Gym team (not even as a tenth reserve.) So I do not mock but the Pyramid looks distinctly assymetrical and a little wobbly, to my amateur eye. But then there was a war on.
However, the two boys, one in at each end, holding the extreme hand standers, don't you get the impression that they are surplus to requirements- and know it.*Smiles*

In all fairness Arthur, if the photographer had moved maybe 1/2 metre to his right the pyramid would have appeared more symmetrical. You can just see the left side of the vaulting horse so he was slightly off centre.

2nd row -3rd from left is Vincent Smith,a fine athlete and centre threequarter.
Front row 3rd from left is Johnnie Smith ,full back in the 1945/6 unbeaten 1st XV.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) Isle of Man

Yes Peter, that's Johnnie Smith alright. The Smith family had a 'selling out shop' on Emily St during the 'war years' and their back door was directly opposite our back door. We had a Cafe in Bradford St. Johnnie's sister, Margery, was perhaps a couple of years older than me, and used to 'mother' me when we were playing out. Johnnie went on to play for the Keighlians and eventually 'turned pro' replacing the long serving Keighley RL full back, Jackie Mills,in the late 40's with limited success. Switching codes in those days was much frowned upon and once undertaken, there was no turning back. He eventually emigrated to South Africa and according to Margery, was not in the very best of health when last she heard from him. He'll be in his late 70's now.

I thought that face looked familiar - Vincent Smith! He and his brother Trevor were playing for the Keighlians in the 50's - Vinnie in the centre and full back and Trevor at loose forward. And strange that you should mention Margery Smith because I was looking at a photograph of her, myself and another Keighley G S old boy, Brian Wilcock [now living in Vancouver] earlier today. It was taken in Sutton when we were about two years old circa 1936. Her parents must have moved to Keighley from Sutton shortly after it was taken. Small world!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Hello Denis. Nice to see you got home OK. Next time you plan to call in at the Turkey Inn, send an Email then we can eat together, rather than in different rooms!! Nice to have met up with you, anyhow. Strange how you mentioned both Margery Smith and Trevor Smith in the same paragraph on the previous posting as they both appear on the 'Eastwood School 1943/4' photo on our website. Margery is seated extreme right on front row and Trevor is third from the right on the back row. I don't think they were related.