KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Victoria Hospital, Keighley

Yes, Braithwaite Open Air school is still there. Opened in September 1929, the classrooms could be opened up to the sun and so it got it's name.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

re the Open Air School- I went there for 12 months and sat the County Minor Exam while there.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland

When I worked as a cleaner at West Yorkshire bus station, some local villain had a scam to rob the visitors to Keighley Vic. The bus would be parked up early in Cooke Stret alongside the Old Man's Park, ready for a departure which would get passengers to the hospital for evening visiting time. Passengers would arrive, seat themselves and wait for the bus crew to officiate. One bloke turned up with a ticket machine and cash bag, collected the fairs and then scarpered. I think he got nicked the next time he tried it.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Not wishing to impugn travelling showmen, it was fares he collected!!

There was one more hospital in Keighley. That was
St Johms up Fell Lane. It was formely known as the County Hospital and was where I was born. Now of course demolished to make way for houses. I remember going to the hospital's boiler house with a wheelbarrow to collect cinders for my father's paths in his allotment next door. Our milkman Mr Haigh had a horse and cart and we visited his establishment with the wheelbarrow to collect his horse's droppings (how polite) for my father's allotment.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

I can also remember the boiler house with the large 'Lancashire' boilers. The original stone gate-posts are the only remaining features of the hospital.

There used to be some old wooden huts where patients suffering from chest infections were housed opposite the allotments. One evening some of use were 'working' on a friends father's allotment when we decided to have a fire. Not much flame but a hell of a lot of smoke which drifetd over the wall and across and into the wooden huts - not too popular with the nurses and patients!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

I guess a good few of us (including me) were born in Victoria Hospital, in my case by emergency Caesarian operation at 3.45 in the morning, with snow outside piled several feet high. (Oh dear its almost the big '60'!)
I visited St John Hospital many times. Lund Park Church choir sang hymns around the wards about once a month on Sunday evenings. IT was rathe rmonotonius as the inmates nearly all requested 'Abide with me' and 'I need thee every hour'. (Probably wouldnt be allowed now because of MRSA threat!). My(paternal) grandfather was in there for a good while before he died in 1963.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

David Boddy's mention of St John's Hospital on Fell Lane, brings to mind the happy events of the birth of my two daughters in the early/mid sixties. I am also informed that my maternal grandfather sadly died there in the late thirties, suffering from the 'dreaded DT's'.
During 2006, an aerial photograph of St John's Hospital appeared in the Keighley News in the 'Down Memory Lane' section and I have a copy of this on my computer which I will pass on to our Webmaster for inclusion on the website.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Further to an earlier comment on this 'thread', concerning the 'Fever Hospital' at Morton Banks, a photograph appeared in the 'Down Memory Lane' section of the Keighley News earlier this year, showing a picture of 1WW troops at this hospital. A 'meaty' description of the hospital's work during that period is supplied, as usual, by Ian Dewhirst. For your intrest, I shall forward a copy of the article/photo to our Webmaster and ask him to include the piece on our website.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Re-visiting the site after some time away I read this thread on the old hospital which closed in 1970. I too was born here (by Caesarian also)on 17th September 1948 although parents lived at Aireville Mount, Sandbeds. I've sent a picture card to Chris taken from the Web for entry on our site.

Strange that so many of us appear to have been born by caesarean section.

I was also - the first National Health baby in Keighley - at 11.30 am on July 5th 1948.

I always thought that caesarean section was a new phenomenon.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Well, I predate you two by a year and a bit. I dont know how new the technique was, but they knew in advance I was going to have to be born that way, as Mum lost her first baby at birth in Dec 1945, because of 'space' considerations. I understand they waited right to the last minute when I was about to be born naturally, then there was a mad rush to get Mum to the hospital to do the caesarian.
There had been heavy snow for several days, it was piled up a few feet high at the side of the road, and they only just got to the hospital in time. My sister was born the same way in 1951.

The technique is, by definition, at least 2000 years old - though I guess mothers didn't start surviving the operation until the advent of effective anaesthesia and sterilisation of equipment.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I was told that birth by caesarian section meant that: pressure on the skull of the infant was significantly less than that which was experienced in a normal birth; there was less chance of intellectual impairment for the foetus; the reduced pressure in a caesarian birth produced children with appreciably more attractive (bonnier) features. I saw little evidence of this either in the classroom - and certainly not in the school yard during my sojourn at KBGS..... unless you had a different experience.

Well, arent we not two handsome chaps?........

The benefits of the Caesarean are many.
The difficult opening of the pelvis to let the child exit can be so obstructed, for many reasons, that the baby will experience lack of oxygen during the birth trauma. Hence Caesarean section actually benefits the child because the head is not distorted by passage through the pelvis and birth channel and in addition has instant access to breathing air. This can have an impact on the brain and intellect. It does not necessarily mean that the child will be bright but certainly its access to oxygen will mean that there is relatively little loss of brain.
Being so endowed the child delivered by Caesarean section will no doubt be able to recognise the 'double negative'in 'Aren't we not a beautiful lot!' when it sees one. Arthur