KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It wasn't so bad then. Taught me to appreciate........

I think it well established by now that cobbles were just about everywhere.
Other things..........remember the street gas lights? Remember the "pig bins" on the street? How about outdoor toilets.........the "tipplers"? Remember having to take out the fireplace ashes to the "ash bin"? Remember the coal delivery wagon and the delivery guy with his steel studded leather protector? How about DC current? We were on DC until about 1953. Remember gas light in houses? The house next door to us was on gas light until into the 50's. Remember the galvanized "tin" baths? We didn't have indoor plumbing until 1952 (which we got with the aid of a government grant). Remember rubber hot water bottles? Remember making toast using a toasting fork in front of a coal fire? We used to have milk delivered by a local farmer. He had a small horse drawn contraption that held two of those metal containers full of milk, and ladled the milk out by hand. Billy Watson came around on a regular basis selling fruit and vegetables from a horse drawn cart.........I remember allotments and when Cliffe Castle was opened..........
These are a few of my favourite things...........

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) USA, land of the Lotus eaters.

Re: It wasn't so bad then. Taught me to appreciate........

Yes I remember most of those things...maybe not the gaslit houses though! Our milkman (this was pre 1950 when I moved to Keighley from Saltaire)definitely arrived with horse and cart. You went with your glass jug to get the milk which was dispensed from the urn using steel measuring ladles. Now -here's another question: whatever happened to those pavement flagstones that now seem to have been replaced by tarmac. They were of a pinkish-brown sandstone that changed a darker colour when wet. If there were cracks in the paving stone and you stepped on one, Paul Helliwell would taunt: "If you step on a nick, you'll marry a brick"! Paying attention not to step on a nick brought on the line: "...and if you step on a stone, you'll marry a bone"! It was thus that I learned at an early age that you just can't win....

Many similar memories. However, I have to take issue with the rubber hot water bottles. They were newfangled things. Our hotties were "stone" bottles. They were actually made of very thick pottery and were roughly cylindrical with a flat base. There was a filler on the top with a screw bung also made of pottery. When the rubber seal became perished the water would start to leak out slowly overnight, bringing discomfort and teasing.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Apart from gaslights on the street lit by a bloke on a bike with a taper on the end of a long stick howabout the gas bags on the single deck buses and the double deckers with gas bags in trailers behind. No rubber for hot water bottles in the war hence the pottery ones, we usd an oven shelf wrapped in a towel. Also the air raid shelters dug in all the parks and in the centre of town. Spitfire week , 5000 pounds would buy a spitfire for the war effort.Then the knocker uppers going round early to get the mill workers out on time and the clatter of clogs as they rushed of to the mill.Sledging down Highfields lane on the footpaths in the moonlight with no street lamps ,all shaded because of the blackout, a terrific ride across all the street ends down to the baths hall.Wonder if anybody remembers the strange habit in the war, if in a crowd of lads walking in town you saw a uniformed soldier you had to be first to , wait for it, lick your thumb ,touch your chest with it, then the palm of your hand, then thump the palm with the other hand and say, "nabbsit squit doublums". Dont ask me why , and we think some habits today are Stupid.I could go on but I won't.Just one more , our milkman came from Goose Eye, Imagine going up the hill out of there in all weathers , and at times it was shocking, in a horse and trap , down Black Hill and delivering in the blacked out streets .What a jammy time we have now.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1943-1946

Current location (optional) Tasmania

We used to have a cafe in Bradford Street, at the top of Pond Street and my mother always bought the left over milk from the milkman's round for the cafe. My brother and I would feed old teacakes to his horse while business was carried out. One morning we had no teacakes left but the horse didn't know and just thought we had forgotten it so it came up the kerb in through the door, well as far as it could get. The cart went up the kerb and tipped over and there was milk all over the street.
The coalmen used to come up Pond Street from the railway coal yard with their horse and carts and stop for a pot of tea at the cafe. When we had bad snow or hard frozen snow horses would go down and there would be a real kerfuffle trying to get them back up on their feet ( hooves, that is).
Seeing the horses on May Day was a special treat they were so splendidly decked out.
The Good Old Days! Better than today's television that's for sure. Arthur Seeley

Well there are some good memories in this thread.I've recently finished writing my memories of growing up in a Yorkshire village during the war and have mentioned much of what has been remembered on here.Arthur, I had a good laugh about the horse and the tea cakes- as youngsters in Cross Roads, we would wait for local milkman, Jimmy Greenwood, at the bottom of Bingley Road,which was cobbled in those days. We would "drive" the horse and cart up the hill thinking that WE were giving the instructions. It took us a long time to work out that the horse knew where and when to stop and did what IT wanted. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland

From my bedroom window (posh for attic skylight) in the family residence at the bottom of Brat(d)ford Street, I could see Prinny's ( the kind of 'blackshop' my dad started in and warned me against). Of an early morning I could hear the men off Lawkholme area "clogging" it to work down our street. I didn't need an alarm clock. You could always tell what the weather was like from the nearness or distance of the sounds. Opposite our house was the 'oller where a block of houses had been demolished between Bradford and Bingley Streets. The crunch of clog irons became muted by the soft surface of the 'oller for the period of their passage to the cobbles of Bingley Street. I knew it wouldn't be long then before "mi mam" called me up. Meanwhile I would burrow deep into the flock mattress until the mesh of the bed frame cautioned against further progress.An early duty was disposing of the night's emissions from the guzunder / po / chamber pot (politesse oblige). Why did nobody mention that chore??
Mike's recollection of spotting a soldier and the ritual that followed reminded me of some we observed...Like spotting an ambulance and shouting "Hold your collar till you see a dog" (and actually so doing); Like spotting a Bradford Dyers Assoc (BDA) van and shouting "BDA tap tap tap" each tap being about the person (usually the head) of the person who was with you. My dad told me that they had a similar routine (in the '20s) when they saw any dapper chap sporting a straw boater, they would shout "Foggy, straw bengie". There were POWs in Airedale and whenever we saw a passing workmen's lorry loaded with them we would boo. This went on for many years even after the war was over, giving Keighley Corporation roadmen quite a complex as they passed down our street.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Do kids still play conkers, I wonder? Conker season was part of the year's tapestry at Cowling, where I lived. And knur and spell - does anyone remember this game/sport? Other exotica at this moorland village included grouse shooting, with a season beginning on the 12th of August, I believe. I think Ickornshaw Moor was said to be the only moorland in England where villagers could shoot without tugging forelock or doffing cap to some fat rich landowner/millowner who wanted the moor for himself and mates. Do kids still play hopscotch? Or hare and hounds in the hollow? And there was something called truth, dare, kiss or promise which inevitably ended up behind the shelter shed with fumblings of the 'you show yours and I'll show mine' variety. Tickling trout in the becks was a popular pursuit and in summer we'd walk across the moor to the Herders or the New Dam, where we'd swim - this might be of interest to Keighlians who would later drink that water. Have any of these games and pursuits survived to a more sophisticated age? And is there honey still for tea?

Read your notes about swimming in the dam. I remember the canal in Silsden, there was a rotating bridge somewhere between Silsden and the Keighley Golf course where some hardy lads used to swim. The canal was active in those days, but not so clean as now ! All the effluent from the barges discharged into it. Large sausage like things floating about. I chickened out of jumping in starkers so was thrown in fully dressed. I can also remember an old tramp, Teddy Wass, who used to drink the water from there. I believe he lived to 90 odd !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) about ! 43 to 46 !

Current location (optional) Steeton now West Wales