KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Hammond

I was thinking about John Hammond recently when I had an air rifle pellet removed from my cheek (put there courtesy of the same John Hammond). I was one year behind him through Primary School and KGBS. I lost track of him when we migrated to Australia in 1961, does anyone know what happened to him?

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

Re: John Hammond

Saw him at the Port Fairy Folk Festival, 1988 I think - brilliant performer. And again in Adelaide at a small club a few years later.
Obviously not the same John Hammond.

tp

I'd completely forgotten about the pellet embedded in your cheek, John, until reading your latest posting.
The pride with which you granted some of us (and presumably denied those less privileged) our requests for a confirmatory "fingering of the lump" is something which now comes flooding back very clearly.(To dispel any lewd comments, or even feelings of deprivation among the readership, we are talking about one of his facial cheeks here!) Little wonder you held on to it for 45 years. Had it mounted yet?
I don't recall associating the phenomenon with John Hammond, though. Would this be the Hammond known as "Doc." on account of his medical aspirations in the 6th form? If so, it seems his desire to promote the NHS in the 1960s was seriously thwarted. (I've no recollections concerning musical prowess on his part.)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 - 65

That John Hammond, who did biology A level, emigrated to New Zealand, in the late eighties to teach. Before emigrating he taught at Greenhead Grammar I believe. Married one of his Greenhead pupils called Helen with a squeaky voice.

Surprise, surprise. I can help out here. John has given up teaching and is enjoying life at Wanaka,in the South Island,on a lake of the same name, near Queenstown which is the main tourist centre for the South Island.I met them there about three years ago and Helen and John were very happy with life.They have a good set up there with John indulging his passion for the outdoors with adventure holidays. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

There's something in your posting, Bill, that rings a bell. My late wife (ex KGGS) and I made the acquaintance (which has become a life friendship) with some of her long lost family members who are 3rd generation Kiwis. We have travelled many miles with them downunder and upover. Whenever they have by chance bumped into other Kiwis, they invariably know someone from their town - even someone in the next street. It gives the "illusion" that NZ is one big village. I wouldn't go so far as cousin Dave (the Kiwi)who claims that in NZ there are 4 million people and 48 million sheep - if you can tell the difference? Most probably when the All-Blacks play the Baa-Baas.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

hi Terry -LOL- It used to be 60 million sheep and we have only just hit 4 million population recently-in the last couple of years any way. It was 2.8 million when I arrived in '62. The population has grown rapidly over the last 10 years with lots of migrants flocking in from China, Korea and South Africa. After 1000's of expats from UK came in post war, they dropped off a bit, but there has been a big upsurge in English migrants over the last 5 years.Re the sheep jokes-there used to be a popular one about the commercial traveller stranded miles from the nearest hotel,knocked on a farm door and the lady of the house said he could stay the night. He was the first bloke she had seen in 10 years. As he was leaving next morning he spotted a lad of about 6 years watching him so he thought this is a bit odd.Hello he said.What's your name son? Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasil replied the lad.

Cheers.

Bill, why not get John Hammond to post on this website. I am sure he knows other KBGS Kiwis to add to the global diaspora this website has developed.

I'd vote for that too, Cedric...would be good to hear again from 'Doc' whom I last saw about thirty six years ago when we went to a rain drenched and ill fated rock festival somewhere near Haworth. Any body else remember that gig?

Are you referring to Crumlin. Perhaps nearer Halifax than Haworth. Open air concerts were all the rage then. Trouble was it rained a lot at that one and the bands refused to play without cash up front.

I'm not in regular contact but I'll see what I can do. Cheers.

John's email address is easily found, to those who Google diligently.,

Yes, Cedric - Crumlin near Halifax. I can sympathise with the bands wanting their money up front- especially in view of the weather. I seem to remember that a young and not yet famous or beknighted Elton John was amongst the performers.

So what is John's email address.