KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Ashes

Listening to a few Poms recently I get the impression the result of the Ashes series is a foregone conclusion - England wins. Is that a generally held view among KBGS observers? Perhaps now would be the time to be brave - let's hear your tips for:

Series winner and margin
Best player
Best bat - total runs
Best bowler - total wickets

For mine, Australia will win by one match
Ponting will be adjudged the best player
Ponting will also be best bat with 525 runs
Warne will be best bowler with 27 wickets

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-57

Current location (optional) Melbourne

Re: The Ashes

Paul - can you more specific?

Glen McGrath says it will be all over by Adelaide, the second test match. His record as a tipster is impeccable.

My only prediction for what could prove to be a close series is that unsubtle attempts to prevent the English Barmy Army from getting tickets for these matches have failed. The Poms have too many ticket-buying relatives Down Under for that to succeed.

Didn't McGrath predict 5-0 to Australia in the last Ashes series? I don't quite recall the final outcome. Can anyone help?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

No idea, mate!

Shaun

The result was England (or rather England plus expats) won the series by two runs - deservedly, since they played marginally better cricket. However, those two runs might have been Australia's had Kasprowicz not been incorrectly adjudged out when his hand was clearly off the bat.

But the question is: why is no-one game enough to predict the results and performances? It would be interesting after the event to see who came closest.

Paul, you and I go back a long way. I will always remember that you were willing to go beyond the pale to be provocative. Whereas some of us 1A mortals stopped at provoking "Nobby" Olive, "Cakey" Patterson and Phil Croft, you and your chum, Gobbo Harrison from Cow'ing 'Ead, ventured into the jaws of Albert (in this instance) the Lion of KBGS.
Mebbe you were cut out to be an Aussie before you became one!
History and form are considerations when weighing up the future - even the Test results that you so confidently predict. But - Current under-currents should not be ignored. Are you fully apprized of the possible squad you may encounter?? I think it was your Governor of Penal Colony New South Wales who, with apparent insider info, recently appealed to our government to filter UKside recruits permitted to join the Barmy Army for the Ozzie Campaign 2006.
You may wonder, therefore and furthermore, why no-one this side is "game" enough to predict results and performances.It's simple.We don't know who they are sending.
Today, after weeks of anxiety in government circles that our prisons are choc a bloc, it is announced that it may be necessary to impound convicts on ships in the Channel. This happened once before in the C18th and the overspill were shipped to Oz. This could have a clear impact on the mix of our touring team for forthcoming engagements downunder. Selection would undoubtedly involve a good quota of West Riding boys, always troublesome tourists - viz: Boycott; Close; Trueman; Wardle et al. Panther Don Neilson, Keighley's Micky Sams and Bingley's Pete Sutcliffe would be sure to be favourites for this tour downunder - but their recent form is as yet unpublished.
How therefore could their touring potential be measured against an Aussie squad unless it included Howard, Keating and other luminaries? Come on, Paul. Play the game!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Oh you poor darlings! After all the hubris of a very narrow home victory in the last series, suddenly you have lost your rag for a true contest in the true home of cricket. Have you given up already, now that the Ashes are physically back in the place where they were created?

Are you worried that Flintoff has lost his spark? That Panesar will not be a panacea? That elderly gentlemen such as Martyn, McGrath and Warne (well, he's elderly, anyway) will break loose from their Zimmer frames just one more time?

Are you perhaps concerned that Pietersen may be having a nationality crisis? That you will sorely miss the sore Simon Jones from the very English town of Llangennech? That the Welsh Papua New Guinean Geraint Jones - who picked up his cricket in Australia - has finally seen the irony of playing for the land of hope and glory? And why does Andrew Strauss always line up at the aliens' counter at Heathrow? Perhaps because he'd seen Andrew Caddick and Graeme Hick do the same so often?

Or are you gulping at the prospect that umpires may wake up to the fact that the reverse swing which decided the last series is merely a euphemism for ball tampering?

Whatever - do what has always been done and assemble the best squad you can, irrespective of whether they are English or not. The team from yesterday's clash in Jaipur will do.

And, as the first Test approaches, let us reflect that the overwhelming historical supremacy of Australia has usually been achieved with players born and bred here, even though our population is just one third of yours. Let us also reflect that by and large we have done it with style, good humour and in the true spirit of the game - overlooking the unfortunate current tendency to sledging.

And Terry: please, please, please do not cite Boycott as an exemplar of Yorkshire cricket or anything else. Find someone of more heroic and admirable mould.

Doesn't anyone want to tip an England win?

I think it would take a brave Pom to predict an English win Paul, especially after the thrashing overnight in the one dayer in India.I thought that Damien Martyn's knock was as good as I've seen for a long time.It sounds like you are 100% "Ozzieised" and very happy with your life downunder.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland-- NZ

People were predicting England would win the soccer world cup in Germany. Best team in 40 years and all that. Result, nothing to be proud of.

Naturally we are cautious at this time. Plus the loss of Michael Vaughan and Simon Jones is not helpful. Also far better if Flintoff was not captain, so he could concentrate on his other duties. Leave the predicting to McGrath that prince of tipsters. We Tykes will remain tight lipped until there is summat to shout about Down Under!

Come to think of it, I've never seen McGrath and Campese together - nor for that matter either of them in the company of Paul.

'...by and large we have done it with style, good humour and in the true spirit of the game'.

Mmm, now let me see, underarm bowling, sneaking on aluminium bats, Lillee kicking a bloke half his size!!

As for predictions, I don't give a rats, I don't follow this game!!

Let the best team win (fairly!).

tp

Paul, your typically Australian, bumptious, bravado-strewn, strutting tirade cuts little ice with our typically British modesty. Our demure reception of the Ashes victory, albeit glorious and inevitable, was only seen as re-affirmation that ' God is in his heaven and all's right with the world'. The Ashes came home and that's all there was to it.
If we do not strut on top of the dung heap and crow it is because we are quietly confident that dignity and superb cricket will carry the day.
We have no need to whistle in the dark for we are without fear.
Arthur Seeley

So will God be opening the batting? That would make yet another non-England player.

No. Botham retired years ago.

Good Lord, Paul, are you suggesting God is NOT English. That is blasphemy, sir.
Don't go out in a thunderstorm is my best advice. Arthur Seeley

And I thought that you were a true 'Tyke' through-and-through Shaun!

Botham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In recent years the only 'God' was - and still is Geoff Boycott - immortalised in Keighley by Dave Ingham's painting of the 'Greatest' which hangs above the entrance to 'The Cricketers' on Coney Lane.

Anyway - I thought that this site was about KBGS and not the pathetic English cricket team - pity they're not all ENGLISH!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

The Ashes and the rugby!

I suppose we are struggling a bit with old familiar school topics, so contemporary cricket fills the gap. Anyway, tonight I was on Eurostar from Brussels to Waterloo Station and I swapped seats with a French chap. Turned out the French bloke was an Aussie speaking perfect French. So they are a bit more sophisticated that we give them credit for! My prediction is for England to win the Ashes 3-2 and for England to beat France in the next final of the Rugby World Cup. That Belgium beer is rather good.

Arthur - if God really is an Englishman (or rather Englishperson) then there could be a quid in this for all of us, since Paddy Power has Australia 1-3 favourites to win the series; 11-2 the draw, 4-1 England to win. Obviously Paddy, being true blue, or rather true green Irish has not factored in divine aid in the matter, and since you evidently have better information why not employ a bit of insider trading and back England?

Is that the Paddy Power that built the motorways?

I'm not a gambling man and don't pretend to understand the bookies' science - but isn't the fact that a horse/team is favourite is because most of the money is on them so the bookie shortens the odds? All Paddy Power's odds suggest to me is that a lot of Aussies have backed the home team.

With a bookie on the other side of the world when we have colossal betting facilities here? I bet you're wrong, Terry.

Do like Lillee and Marsh did - back the Poms! See if your big swoop changes the odds

After the Aussie Stadium rumble, I could be persuaded to place a bet on the Aussies if they pick Willie Mason to take out the umpires on the first day of each test.

looks like it's all over now

If I remember correctly the Aussies thrashed the Brits in the first test last year but the Brits fought back to take the Ashes - doesn't pay to be too brash at this early stage!

Agreed, Trevor. Not very intelligent creatures, kangaroos. It doesn't pay to tweak the Lion's tail.

It's all part of the Fletcher/Flintoff Master Plan: Phase One.
Phase Two: About halfway through the second test, say the second day, just after lunch, the Aussies have been lured into a smirking sense of smug complacency and then------ Phase Three: We strike!!

Your predictions are noted, Arthur and Terry. I also note you're not confident enough to predict the series' results.

You want a prediction ? I'll give you a prediction.

Wait! Wait! The mists begin to clear.
Ah! I predict that the name of the side that wins the Ashes will begin with a vowel.
A player whose last name begins with the letter P will score heavily.
Aagh! The fogs roll in. I can see no more. My horizontal hold is shot at.

Be difficult for England to get a result on this slow pitch, a draw looks likely unless Harmison is inspired. Also, I bet the England management are cursing the fact they left the extra spinner out with this massive total to assist them. This pitch will turn decisively on day four and five.

Pieterson 158, Ponting 142( luckily!!) well the second part of my prediction has come true. Anyone want to bet against my first prediction proving accurate?? Arthur

FST will be spinning in his grave at Bolton Priory. Does the term "occupy the crease" mean nowt to the team of village green sloggers we have sent down under?

Knee-jerk reactions : Freddie is no man manager( too matey);too many captains on the field;send for Ramrakash ;Pieterson and whoever wafted outside off stump need a good bollocking;Giles, drop him; Harmison, drop him or give him a one almighty bollocking too. Considered approach : as above. It's also become a big yawn when the people who make the decisions i.e.Fletcher and mates(including Giles) will continue to defend their decisions when they are clearly wrong ( unless they come off ). Allan Jones and a few of us could have left well alone some of those balls and got a draw, but the elite of England, could they? Ponting is a man with a mission and bats and talks like it. I think from the comfort of the armchair England lack strong leadership, and are not sure how to draw the line between laddishness and professionalism. Thank heaven for Collingwood. Having had a good whinge, England may well win the next two. But, I'm pleased for Ponting, a scrapper, a wonderful stroke-player, and, I think he's now shown his critics, a true leader.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Alan's spot on exept for one omission. He should have said thank heaven for Collingwood AND HOGGARD.

"Allan Jones and a few of us could have left well alone some of those balls and got a draw" - Well, yes. But in my case I wouldn't necessarily have been leaving them alone intentionally....! I couldn't bear to watch the last day's highlights (lowlights??). First two days were good though!

Yes,Shaun,I should have mentioned Hoggard. At least he perserveres with a decent line and length and got his reward. As for Panesar, I now believe that because the selection committee of mates have played Giles for the first two tests, then there will be even more pressure on the Northants spinner than there would have been had he been picked for the second or first test. If he doesn't come off ( if picked) for Perth, Fletcher can turn round and say I told you so, so to speak. I also think Read should have played : he'd done well last season in the test team, and the only reason Jomes is in, from what I can see, is through favouritism in the worst sense of the word. How many overs in first class cricket had Giles and Anderson bowled between this teat and their injuries? As good as zero. While I'm at it, for any bowler at test or fist-class level to be unable to produce a near 100% line and length is unacceptable. Harmison has taken er 1 wicket? for 0ver 200 runs in 2 tests!! I read that Ponting gave an inspirational speech on the morning of the third day : I cannot imagine Fred doing the same, and certainly not Fletcher : he has sat on his backside on the balcony or the dressing room for too long earning too much. It doesn't show that I'm angry, I know . On a finishing note to this scathing post, did anyone see 5 balls Lee bowled to Flintoff? First 4, wide enough to be left, the 5th, still wide of stumps but a fraction closer, and Fred Flintoff was sucked into trying a drive; caught behind. Brilliant bowling. And Warne, by his own admission, but probably true, bowled no more than half a dozen bad balls bowling unchanged on the final day. Over to you.

(Allan,what's the name of the Curry place you go to in Stamford?)

(probably a separate thread to be had on the world's greatest curry houses. Needless to say, none of them are in Stamford. There are two that I found, both near the church. The one behind the church. And the one round the corner form the church. The one behind the church is better). Owzaat!

RIP

Once again, the Ashes are back home where they were created. There has been very little between the two teams - home ground advantage, greater desire to win and marginally better play gave us the series. I hope the remaining games are not treated as dead rubber affairs. I must say I was just a tad worried when Flintoff and Pietersen were together on the last day but that man Warne, irrespective of other personality traits, lends steel to our side.

Normally I wouldn't go down this path,but I refer to your post of October 21: ...However, those two runs might have been Australia's had Kasprowicz not been incorrectly adjudged out when his hand was clearly off the bat.

Mmm, I wonder what the final result would have been had Strauss not been twice incorrectly adjudged out when the ball clearly did not hit the bat????

But clearly, the best team has won the 3 tests so far!

Trevor

Trevor - it might be hard to tell from this distance but that was written tongue in cheek. You're right - Strauss has had a lot of luck in this series and most of it has been bad.

However, Australia was just two runs shy of retaining the Ashes - England missed out by 206. The next series in UK might be different - some of our stars will have left, while the Poms will have good young players like Alistair Cook hitting their straps. He'll have more time to work on his technique now that he has finished writing his Letter from America.

Yes, it was tongue in cheek but - 2 runs or 206 runs, a miss is as good as a mile they say, a win is a win is a win!
However, this Ashes win is not quite as decisive as you make out, it depends on which statistics you choose. The second Test was won with only 3 overs left to bowl. As I understand it 6 runs per over is good scoring in One Day games and this was a Test match in which scoring is generally much slower. One could argue that the match (and ultimately the Ashes) was won by less than 18 runs, a very close game considering 5 days of intense cricket and over 1000 runs scored in total.
Having said that, I'm only participating in this particular Forum subject as a release from the intense rubbishing I'm receiving from the Aussies - you'd think I was the sole English representative. They're such bad winners!!
But then, I guess they have a lot to make up for - after the Rugby World Cup and the Ashes loss last year the silence was deafening!!

Cheers
Trev.

Like a friend of mine - still English and living in England, who got 30 to 1 on Australia winning all 5 tests and invested £10. One or two dodgy moments so far but he's still confident of winning.

I must admit that cricket has never been one of my favourite sports and, after winning the Ashes and seeing the state of the team stumbling out of their hotel, it made me even less enamoured with the game. Just like the England performance when they won the RU World Cup - they were lucky.

We can and should only start 'crowing' about our ability when we start winning consistently as opposed to winning by luck.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

I'm not sure I agreee that the World Cup was a lucky win. Those who don't understand rugby say that it was just Jonnie's goal that won the game, and in a sense it was. What they didn't appreciate though was that driving of the ball into the Australian 1/4 in the last 5 minutes. It was a magnificent co-ordinated effort by the forwards that put Jonnnie into the position where he could score - no luck involved!
England, at the time, were winning almost all of their games, even against the likes of Oz and The All Blacks and they thoroughly deserved their win. Pity they've fallen into a pit since - oh well!!

Cheers
trev

The Big Issue is why have England done so badly? Or have they? Any ideas?

Terry, I think hubris had a bit to do with it. Giving them all earldoms or whatever when they won the last series by two runs was a bit extreme and perhaps inspired a feeling that they couldn't lose. Then when they did, mass hysteria gave them a feeling they couldn't win. Losing Simon Jones made a difference; Vaughan would have been handy to take captaincy decisions instead of Flintoff, Geraint Jones was a waste of space, Ashley Giles similar, Harmison is bowling well below potential (I think) and they have been unlucky with some umpiring decisions. But then, so have the Aussies - over the course of five matches these things tend to even out. Your coach/manager must be held accountable for a great part of the poor performance. But don't be too concerned - you have some good young players coming through at a time when we look like losing Warne, McGrath, Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist and Brett Lee should either start earning his pay or step down.

Other than that, I'm pleased to see the series is still so delicately balanced.

It doesn't matter what the result is of the Ashes series it will never compare to the many games played in Victoria Park 1946-1950 .
The top bandstand with its hard standing surround and walkway to the top park path became any venue in the cricketing world.
The wickets were chalked on the support to the edge of the steps and a keen and intense game was guaranteed when the Bradford Street/Emily Street/ Aireworth Road and Lawkholme areas supplied the Huttons, Bradmans,Washbrooks of the day.( Local boys of the Armstrong, Seeley, Warrington, Jones, Armstrong families together with many others)
With these facilities and enthusiastic individualsthe current England side wouldn't be in the mess they're in today.
By the way are all the honours awarded after the 2005 Ashes now recalled if they don't beat the Australians?
It seems rather presumptuous that any honour can be earned and presented to the winners of a Two team only Competition.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) Keighley

Oh Derek, thyat brought a misty eye to an old man.
Those were truly wonderful times and the sun always shone, magic,magic,magic.

For the field is full of shades as I near a shadowy coast,
And a ghostly batsman plays to the bowling of a ghost,
And I look through my tears on a soundless-clapping host
As the run stealers flicker to and fro,
To and fro:
O my Paynter and my Hutton long ago !

Aye, but more t't'point to encourage positive laiking tha could nobbut score if you put it in front o't'conker trees - one at mid-wicket on the Beeches side (leg) and t'other at cover on the Lawkholme (off) side; four ovver t' far path and six ower t'shed.

This will get you going. The Queen is also Queen of Australia ,so this year considering the Ashes are won 4-0 already by ,dare I say it, AUSTRALIA, She should offer the gongs to them.Perhaps fly over to hand them out!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1943-1946

Current location (optional) Tasmania

A TV poll this morning was 93% in favour of the Ashes staying with the winning country. There's a worry that the urn is too fragile to travel, and since it's already here on display it would find a more permanent home under this suggestion. But I don't think it's going to happen, given the lack of movement with the Elgin Marbles.

Well if she does I'm sure she'd do it more graciously than little Johnny Howard when he was handing the winner's medals to the England team after their World Cup win. He was disgraceful!!

The Ashes Urn is the property of the M.C.C. It was presented to them by the guy that did the burning as far as I know. I'm quite sure the M.C.C. will want it back at Lords.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Well they have the Ashes now would they like to play for the sackcloth the English team should be wearing around about now.
Ruined my whole new year this has, I can tell you. Don't talk to me. Just..... just don't talk to me.( Sob, sob)
Cricket! Silly bloody game anyway.
I bet they can't beat us at Crib.