KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alec Bailey

It is with regret that I have to make this post about the sudden and untimely death of Alec Bailey. His obituary from The Craven Herald can be found at:

http://www.kbgs.com/ABObit.jpg

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Re: Alec Bailey

I didnt know Alec, but was he John Baileys brother ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Although a year behind me, Alec and I went the same route to KBGS - via Eastwood and Parkwood Juniors. We played in the Parkwood School football team together. We were both in Longsdon House and often played in the same house teams. Alec (or Bez as some of his mates called him)was a keen competitor and enjoyed taking part, always bringing his sense of fun and humour to the game. His reputation with the Keighlians/Keighley RUFC is well documented. I don't know what he did with his cricket when he left KBGS but I shall always remember him as an aggressive fast bowler. Sharing the field with him for Longsdon was always a cheerful experience. He had no respect for reputations and he always went after the wickets. My favourite memories are when he took 8 wickets for very few in a house juniors match against Brigg and his ruffling the feathers of 1st XI worthies in senior house games. You could always rely on Alec, a great team player. We had no contact after leaving school until last year's reunion and I was looking forward to meeting him again at the next.I have only good memories.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Just returned from USA to discover the news re Alec. He and I went all the way through KBGS in the same form. What a great guy he was - fit as a fiddle and so full of life. The most lasting memory I have is his cycle - a fixed gear job. When we took our Cycling Proficiency test he missed a cone, stopped the bike using the fixed gear and quite simply reversed by back-pedalling. Great little rugger player as well - at scrum half, if I remember rightly. Shall miss him greatly.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 53-61

Current location (optional) UK

Having heard of the sad passing of Alec, I, like many others, had a check on any relevant photographs.
The only photograph I could find is now on the Photograph section of the web site.
This was taken on the day that The Keighlians R U F C held a trial match at Marley.
A First Team v Second Team game containing some of the well known players of that era.
Alec is 3rd from the right on the front row.
Back Row
Joe Midgley, Sam Keighley, BILLY SHIRES, Harry Doane, KEITH WATKINSON, Ken Steele, Stan Hutchinson, ERIC PICKLES, ALAN CATTERALL, Gareth Whittaker, LES STOW, K. JAGGER, TONY BANCROFT, MICK HALE, Bob Swift, JOHN HORSMAN, Billy White
Front Row
L Bradshaw, KEITH WADDINGTON, GEOFF BLACKBURN, John Craven, David Kirkham, Derek Pullan, ROGER MANTON, ALEC BAILEY, DEREK NEWISS, HOWARD BROOKS

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 50 - 55

Current location (optional) Keighley

That's the first time I've seen a photo of Sam Keighley. I used to watch him playing fly-half when my brother was playing for the Keighlians. Sam died young, I believe.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Alan, if you check out the photographs of the Under 14 Rugby XV's 1945-6 and 1946-7 you'll find other photographs of Sam Keighley. He was one of the most outstanding players ever to come from KBGS. It was said that if he'd played for a more fashionable club rather than the Keighlians, he would certainly have represented Yorkshire. It was a sad day when he died when he was probably only in his early 30's.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Yes, Denis, and he is also on the back row of the Eastwood Junior School photograph 1943/4, along with Trevor(TWV)Smith, who also played for School, and the Keighlians, I believe.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Thanks for that,Dennis.Just looked at those potos.He would have been a few years older than my brother, but if my memory serves me well, I believe Trevor played scrum-half to Sam's fly-half several times. To a lad of my years, Sam seemed something of a hero. If my brother ever comes on this site, he'll remember Sam fondly, I'm sure.

and Alec too. He went to Alec's funeral.