KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What was it like in the Second X1?

I only ask this question because the normal path of cricketing achievement at KBGS was Under 14, Colts and then an immediate elevation to First Eleven. So if you could wield the willow and toss the leather with some style you never actually played in the Second X1. Thus avoiding Gilbert Swift's lack of cricketing expertise.

Re: What was it like in the Second X1?

It was all a question of numbers, Cedric - which probably accounts for Beaky running the 1st XI. He knew more about maths than cricket. Look at it this way: - 1st XI is made up of 2 tranches of 6th year plus maybe some 5th year. End of season - some leave, some stay on. Next season, Colts (under 15s) become eligible for senior selection. There may be anything from 11 to 20 likely lads anongst 'em. Beaky can't give them all a game - so bingo!! - a second XI !! You can't let so much enthusiasm go begging without giving it some expression. After captaining the Colts in the 4th year, I took a year out in the 5th from school cricket to pursue other interests. Many kbgessers have done the same. I got back into the flow of school selection, which wasn't easy with staff at kbgs after showing an individualist's turn, by playing in the second XI which was run by Spike Rannard. I even was captain for one match while BC Smith was doing 'A' levels. I have a picture of that team (1958)which I shall post when I find it. I got back into the 1st XI of Frankie Wellock for 2 seasons following. My route to selection and school colours was not automatic as Cedric suggests - but a spell in the second eleven was enjoyable and fruitful.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60