KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where are they now?

Forgive me if this has been covered before. I'm interested in what happened after KBGS and beyong of the following teachers, some of ehom I can't remember the name or whose name I may spell wrongly :
1. Fred Cattlee.
My older brother used to tell me how he was a good teacher, and he indeed was.
2. Frank Wellock. I liked him, whatever others may think.
3. The art teacher who took us on Malham moor in atrocious rainy conditions.
4. The French teacher with the tattered shoes. Young, probably handsome, and perhaps a bit of a maverick.
5.Wilbur!!
6. Mr Leeming, for whom I now have the deepest sympathy. I know he was rumoured to have gone off to do missionary work.
7.Mr Day. Playing bridge in Keighley? I remember him wandering on a sunny day through the fields at Oakbank, probably on lunchtime duty.
8.The French teacher who tried to organise a cycling trip to Switzerland. A little foppish would be a way I would describe him. Hair creamed back, middle-parted. Wilfred Owen without the moustache.
9.I know Gus Cullingford died on a climbing trip in Africa?
There's others but they come to mind. Recollections or what happened to them would be appreciated.Thanks.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Re: Where are they now?

Dale 'Vince'nt-Firman is alive and kicking and lives in Bridgnorth.
Didnt someone also report they saw Tony 'Percy' Peart a while ago , but said he was not in good health ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Could number 4 have been called Slater??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Frank Wellock's son Tim is a sports reporter on the Daily Telgraph. Usually in the DT the writers email address is at the bottom of the article, so he may tell you if Frank is still with us.
But on the electoral roll CD ROM for 2004 there is a Frank Wellock living in Crosshills at 'Stornoway' Park Road. Thats probably him
On same disc there are only two P D Leemings. A Peter D Leeming in Kendal and a Philip D Leeming in Cheadle Hulme. I dont know what his real name was other than 'Nancy'! But his middle inital was D.

Im fairly sure Wilbert Bloomfield passed away quite a while ago, it was in the Keighley News I think.

Thanks.
Yes,Slater was no4!!
How old would Vince be now? How old would he be when he was teaching us? He'd be about 30 then,I'd have thought.Difficult to tell thinking back.Slater,I imagine,was in his first school..about 24? Wilbur passed away?

I don't think Gus died when he fell off Mt Kilimanjaro- though he probably was indisposed for a few weeks!

Yes, Brian, you are right about Frank Wellock still living in the Crosshills area. On reading this thread, I contacted an old classmate, Gordon Warin, who, for many years had a farm behind the Dog & Gun at Glusburn and is related to Frank by marriage. He tells me that Frank is living 'up near Glusburn Park' which would tie in with the address which you gave. Frank should be in his 'very early eighties' now.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

It's so strange thinking of Frank Wellock being in his early 80s. I always think of them how they were. I bet he still wears grey flannels and white pumps. I bet he's still got a full head of hair too.Thanks for that information. I will always remember Frank watching me drift an off break away from the batsman in the nets and he said I'd be in the county side if I could do it at will........I couldn't.

I remember watching Frank Wellock save the game with Eddie Paynter against Windhill ( I think) for whom Ellis Achong the West Indian slow left arm bowler of bowled all afternoon. FW was a very good cricketer as well as a County rugger player.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) IOM

Just to clarify Tim Wellock. Tim is the sports editor of the Northern Echo in Darlington. He freelances for the Daily Telegraph with reports on Durham. Did not Frank Wellock own a farm at one time?

In answer to the question 'Did Frank Wellock ever own a farm?', I checked out matters with my source on all things 'Wellock',a certain Gordon Warin, who, as mentioned earlier, is related to Frank by marriage. He tells me 'No!, although he did marry a farmer's daughter, who was Gordon's father's cousin. That may well be where the farmer question found it's origin.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

I only mention the Wellock farmer connection because a relative of mine used to sell Frank Wellock fertiliser in farm-size quantities.

..Frank liked beans...

This can't be the same F.W.
He (and his colleagues) were always happiest when distributing fertiliser for free.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 - 65

I read somewhere that Ray Illingworth, outside his cricketing involvement, took great pride in the condition of his garden lawn; - since good cricket is best played on good grass surfaces, he felt he owed it to his humble home. Perhaps Frank had the same propensities and used fertiliser accordingly. He certainly had the same ideas as Illingworth about winning. Did he ever captain a team as successfully as Illingworth - my second best Yorkshire (AND England) captain after DB Close!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

I don't believe Illingworth was ever Yorkshire captain, was he? He acquired the England captaincy following his move to Leicestershire.

What about the French teacher Bretherton(sp)? Seemed matey with Mr Day.Seemed quite normal compared to most of the eccentricities that were kbgs staff.

Didn't Illingworth return to Yorkshire cricket in the late '70s/early '8os after his spell at Leicestershire, captain the side and then manage it? Undoubtedly, his best spell as a captain was with Leicestershire and England when he taught the Aussies defeat.

No 8. - If it's the one I'm thinking about(avec lunettes) then his surname was 'Henderson'- obviously nicknamed 'Dickie'.
Anyone know the current whereabouts of Brian Payne (music teacher); believe he may be living on the west coast around Arnside but could be wrong?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

'Dickie' Henderson it was. Every year we used to get the 'Tour De France' progress as the bikers passed through the French countryside. Though of course he was very keen on our own Tommy Simpson who sadly died after a drug overdose up the mountains one year.

Then we would have periodic sports quizzes as opposed to French. Amidst all the fun he kept good discipline without resorting to violence.

Anybody remember the celebrations at school after we won the football World Cup in 1966?

No. Henderson was not no.8. How can I describe him? I have in my mind a tall, slim, quite chisel-faced mid twenties young man. He organised this trip, or said he would, but it never came off. Fair hair. I think the Wilfred Owen comparison perhaps threw some off the scent, and perhaps it was inaccurate.

Does anyone know whether Spike Rannard was an RAF pilot before he came to KBGS about 1944 ? He had a nervous "tick " and this may have given cause for this assumption.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) IOM

Terry, Yorkshire Captains.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Yorkshire_cricket_captains

Thanks, Arthur, - a tremendous link for cricket tyke-o-phobes. So far I have looked at NWD Yardley - (captain of Yorkshire in my first visit (1949) to Park Avenue and a cricketer for whom I had a great deal of respect - being also Captain of England - why was his nickname "lavender"?)But I shall be looking up the rest. Glad to read that Illy really did captain Yorkshire once ovver.

Sorry - on re-reading: Correction - "tyke-o-philes"

Terry Have you really not heard of Yardley's lavendar soap - or are you leg pulling?

Yes, Arthur, on reflection - but this was a later addition to my knowledge of personal hygiene. Basic to my grasp of such issues and deep in my memory, living at the bottom of the street as I did, carbolic and Acdo were the magic words - with Amarmi thrown in on Fridays - if the Derbac wasn't required.

Carbolic! Carbolic! You were lucky, I say, you were lucky. A handful of sand and gravel, that's all we had. Paraffin and carborundum paper for the stubborn bits. And then hosed down in the back street. None of your poncy girl's blouse carbolic. Arthur

Arthur Seeley seems a lot like IW.

No 3 the art teacher was probably Hildreth (Harry) Harpin,who lived at "Swartha" out of Silsden. The French teacher certainly sounds like Slater,the description fits. He used to come into the classroom at speed with his gown billowing out and greet us with " Bonjour mes eleves" (Spelling ?? my French is a bit rusty) and we would respond with "Bonjour monsiour" he was OK. Frank Wellock was a good bloke and I can't remember anyone complaining too much about him.He started as a teacher,I think,in 1947 or 48. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland-- NZ

No 3 the art teacher : well-built,beard.

Westall.

Westall!!!!! Yes, Westall.The only memories I have of him is the visual, his Napoleonic battle scenes over Malham moor in the incessant rain, and that camauflage jacket, plus one of his comments on my report " A little too slick at times." Wonder what happened to him.

It's significant to me, Alan, that your recollections of Westall don't centre on either his teaching or his artwork - both non-existent in my memories of a relationship which was terminated, actively on my part and (I'm sure) by tacit approval on his, at the earliest opportunity.
But I've expressed my view of R.A.W. fairly forcefully elsewhere on the site and I'm sure that, 45 years ago, he would have reciprocated wholeheartedly! If still alive he's unlikely to remember me now, of course, giving me an advantage (but I don't care about the unfairness of that in the least!).

Brian,I recall nothing of his teaching or artwork, you are correct. He DID let a few of us go in his art room at lunchtime.I was very keen on art, and to this day have continued with pencil drawings but have never got to grips with painting. Were you on that dreadful day on Malham moor? Or anyone? He wasn't your favourite person, then.

Wasn't he known as the 'Bearded Willie' ? My father always used to do my homework sketches (I was hopeless at Art). He wrote on my report 'I wish he could work in class as well as he works at home' !!

GDQ Harrison, Head Boy and Captain of Rugby was in the same form with me from 1952 to December 1959. Where are you now, Dave? If you do not come forth, I will disclose the name hiding behind the "Q"!! Nothing to do with "Bond"age.

Not 'Bearded' but 'Tarbrush' Brian from my recollection.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay