KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Miles Gales School

See this Keighley News clipping
(Contributed by a regular poster but I can't trace who)

Re: Miles Gales School

Clearly, the author of the memorial to Miles Gale was either ignorant of or chose to ignore Gale’s conflict with Robert Hall since he stated for all time that Gale had been “living a life of innocency and peacemaking and bearing malice to no-man”. Yet another source states that Gale claimed from his pulpit on the Sunday after Robert Hall died that there was never a greater day for education in Kighley than the day on which Robert Hall died. No doubt their differences were tied into the conflicts of religious (pseudo-political) motivation that dogged British education at that time – much like the present differences over faith schools that are clouding the purpose of education in contemporary (hardly modern) Britain . Some of the accounts expressed in postings on this site would suggest that even though there was an approved political mechanism in place to support KBGS, in its short life, there were still members of staff approaching the task of education from their own personal agenda – even if (to cite but one example) at the simple level of GSS walloping Peter Watthey.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Yes I remember this proposal to call the school Miles Gale School, but there was such an outcry it never happened and was changed to Oakbank Grammar School.
I think the main objection was that the word 'Grammar' was to be dropped

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

I always thought that the new school was called Keighley School. Not sure when the Oakbank name appeared, but I'm sure it was after I left, in 65. It might not have appeared until the area went 'comp'.

I think we're repeating history here, but I've trawled the site looking for the relevant postings and can't find them. However, after the brief flirtation with Miles Gale, the school became known as Keighley School. It stll retained this name when I left in 1965. Oakbank Grammar School was a later incarnation.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I agree Shaun.

The last edition of 'The Keighlian' (The magazine of the Keighley Boys' Grammar School) was No. 209 - Christmas 1963.

The first edition of 'The Keighlian' (The magazine of of the Keighley School) being No. 210 - Summer 1964.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

OK I accept that. I had forgotten it was Keighley School for a while before Oakbank came in. I just had two terms at Keighley School as I left at December 1964

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

I vaguely remember a special assembly where one of the masters (Vince?) 'explained' why Miles Gale was a good name for KBGS. I think it was some sort of last ditch attempt to win us over. I still don't understand why it had to change from KBGS (before admitting girls).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-67

Probably selected as a stooge by Joe Watthey for the said public relations purpose. Anyway what kind of a name is Miles for a Keighley bloke. Anybody called Miles would be beaten up within ten minutes of walking into The Rodney, The Fleece or The Albert public house. As for the Boltmaker Arms a geezer called Miles would be hung, drawn and quartered!

Imagine Miles trying to get a pint in The Eastwood Tavern, local to my home. It took me ages to pluck up enough myself. Keighley pubs were (probably still are) bastions of conservatism and reflected an unchanging basic lifestyle.Once, home from school camp, 2 days before my parents were back from their holiday, my brother-in-law took me on a mini-crawl in Keighley. In The Star in North Street, a regular challenged another regular thus..."What yer dooin sitting ovver yonder, Tommy? Ah thowt tha sat ovver 'ere".
"Aye, tha's reight.. but 'am on my 'ollidays this week." He'd probably spent all of Feast Week, t' Bank Holiday and his holiday pay there as well.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60