KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Summer of '59

Hits of summer 59? Try www.everyhit.com/retrocharts/summer/1959.html for a trip down memory lane! You're right Alan about Cliff and Buddy Holly although the latter is well down the top 40 list at number 39. Some real classics though and an interesting exercise in old wave 50s/ new wave 60s music at a time when the cross-over was just beginning. By the way Alan (B), I recall you being the proud owner of the first ever Warner Brothers record (WB#1) by the Everly Brothers: Cathy's Clown (April 1960?). Others could only look on and wish....

(Allan J - shouldn't it be CHUTE, or am I missing something here?)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-67

What about songs (is that un-cool?) that bring back recollections of times and events at KBGS? Playing against Bfd GS at Stoneycroft in 1958/9, after half-time lemons and a chat from Gilbert about getting it out to the wings (and we had some good 'uns), I ran onto the field singing "C'mon pretty baby, let's move it and a'groove it!" David Ogden (scrum half)said I got some funny looks from the boys from Frizinghall. Not as funny as the ones Dave Collen (loose head prop) got as he raced over for a try after a forward handling movement. I was never on the losing side to a Bfd GS rugby team and only once at cricket (U14XI).

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

You've lost me there.Geoff. I definitely remember having Cathy's Clown but are you saying it would be worth thousands if I still had it? The first record released by WB? I'd play it on the gramaphone at Calver Avenue.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Geoff W writes: "(Allan J - shouldn't it be CHUTE, or am I missing something here?)"...
Yes Geoff - I'm afraid you are...just a wee pun (or something) in response to Shaun's query....
A

Can't say what it would be worth now Alan though as WB's first venture into records it ought to have some cash value. No, the reference was just a reminsicence of the late 50s/ early 60s music scene and a memory of you (plus Jonah, Faggy Helliwell, Co-Co et al) on the no 2 Calver Avenue bus with said record, though why you were taking it to school with you remains a mystery!

Thanks Allan (J) - chute/shoot - thick or what? Despite being a full-time academic these days I obviously still retain that dour streak which comes from having been a parson for far too long. Definitely need to wake-up and get a life before it's too late!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-67

Geoff.I'm beginning to wonder about my past life now.Why would I have Cathy's Clown on the bus going to town. It's a mystery to me. Perhaps I was a show-off and wanted friends to see it...nah, that's not me..I was shy and retiring...and very well-mannered as Allan's mother once said of me : funny how I've changed! Still the same really.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66