KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frederick Sewards Trueman

Terry Marston has already mentioned Freds recent passing away in another thread. He was certainly a Yorkshire legend.
Since we have had cricket threads before, and many of you are followers of cricket, surely Fred deserves his own thread. I certainly watched Yorkshire at Bradford and Headingley from time to time, and was also at Headingley when he polished off the Aussies and England won on that third day. Cant rememder which year '61 possibly.
My favourite FST story was when Fred was about to bowl to a new debutant incoming batsman, bowled an absolute brute, pitching on leg stump and taking his off. 'That was a good ball Mr Trueman' said the incumbent. 'Aye lad, but it wor wasted on thee' was the reply.
I am sure some of you have other Trueman stories.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Frederick Sewards Trueman

This week's (07/07) edition of Last Word contains a superb poem on the subject of Fred Trueman. If you didn't catch it, listen again by going to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/
launching the radio player and selecting the Last Word from the Radio 4 sub menu. The item on Fred is at the very end of the programme. You can skip forwards through the programme using the fast forward button on the player.

After taking six wickets in an innings, a normal day's work for the great man he was going through the scorebook,
'Aye that wuh me leg cutter teken at second slip. He wuh me off cutter teking the leg stump aht. He wuh me late inswinging yorker, plumb LBW fuh sure....'
Richard Hutton had been listening to this litany and asked sarcastically,
'Did yuh bowl a straight one at all?'
Without pause, Fred responded,
'Aye. Ah bowled Marner wi' that. Went through him like a stream o' piss and took all three.'

Ay, and for a few years he had curvaceous Raquel Welch for an in-law. The daughter marrying Raquel's son. Before parting later. As the Sun newspaper put it: 'Owzat for a mother-in-law Fred!'

Another unsuual memory of the great man was that he bowled right-handed but batted-left handed. And threw left handed.

For some real Trueman nostagia, try putting "Fred Trueman Pictures" into Google. Look at "Trueman's Career in pictures" -there's one breath-taking side-on picture - and look also for the video links. Wallow!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Trueman - left-handed bat?

That's my reaction too, Terry.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

The answer to that question about Fred Trueman's greatest 'early' achievement was 'hooking his first wife Enid' a fashion model from Scarborough! Obviously the Posh and Becks of their day.

Regarding Fred's ambidexterity. During a recent TV tribute to Fred, Ray Illingworth commented that when he first met Fred as a late-teenager, he thought he that he was a slow left-arm bowler, having faced him in the nets at Headingley bowling as such. Shortly afterwards they were both selected to play for Yorkshire Boys for a short tour of the West Country and was absolutely staggered when Fred opened the bowling with a fast right-arm action. He could also throw in with both left and right hand with equal competancy, but I don't think he ever batted left-handed. No doubt Fred thought he could!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

If you're talking ambidextrous, Brian Close is your man. He used to be a single-figure handicap golfer both left and right-handed. He is one of those annoying superb all-round sportsmen who should have been strangled at birth. He could have signed for Arsenal at football and was also, I think, a useful boxer. Drove like a loony as well. "He doesn't drive a car" I recall Fred saying on TMS, "he aims it.".

I am surprised to read that Ray Illingworth thought Fred was a slow left arm bowler. I was at Headingley that day, (the day after the 4th Test against Australia 1948 ) and I batted against Truman, Close and others for about twenty minutes in the nets ,and there was no doubt about what Truman was bowling.! There was a slow left arm bowler called Fisk there who later played a few games for Yorks 2nds among the twenty or so invited for this trial,and who were playing in either the Yorks League, Yorkshire Council or Bradford League at the time, including Gerry Tordoff, who later captained Somerset and the Combined Services. Can,t remember any more.
!who were playing ineither the Bradford Council

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) IOM

Interesting observation Peter, especially when it's made from a personal point of view. After all you were there!! I wonder if Fred was just 'messing about' or 'showing off' a bit, like any 17 year-old might have done?
Fred's name cropped up in Eric Sykes'Autobiography('If I Don't Write It, Nobody Else Will')which I'm currently reading. Eric always fancied himself as a wicketkeeper and as he became more of a celebrity, was asked to play in several Charity matches and on one occasion Fred was playing on his side. In Fred's second over he(Eric) broke his finger. The moment he took the ball he knew something was wrong, and on removing his gloves, found the top of his middle digit leaning tiredly to one side.
Freddie ambled up and said 'What's the matter with thee?' Eric showed him his finger.
'What's up with it?' he said
'It's bent!' said Eric, with some asperity.
'All actors are bent' said Fred as he stolled away.
A couple of years later, Freddie was being interviewed on radio and when asked 'Who was the bravest wicket keeper you ever bowled to?',without hesitation he replied 'Eric Sykes'. There was a stunned pause from the interviewer, and then Fred went on, 'He stopped every ball with his chest!'
'What a bowler' says Eric in his book, 'and what a joy to be in his company'

I saw - or heard the crowd roar, as I was adjacent to the wicket - Fred ripping through the Indians at Headingley. Must have been my first visit to a test match.In the late 50s. I was not prepared for the visual aspect : from side-on I just couldn't see the ball when Fred was bowling. But the roar told me another Indian wicket had fallen.They were his rabbits back then. I also saw him ( presume he was playing) for England against the Australians at the same ground. ( My then batting hero was Norman O'Neill..scored a fifty I believe).For anyone who wants to check on scores from way back when to now,I recommend, if you don't already know it,cricinfo.com..you can even see all Barry Whittingham's scorecards for Notts!)
postscript : even spinners from side on are very hard to pick up. One of my greatest pleasures was watching Warne bowl, sitting behind him.
Fred : a great bowler, a great character.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

I was wrong : O'Neill scored 27 and 19, and Trueman took 5 in the first innings and 6-30 in the second innings. Lock and Allen the spinners. Cowdrey 90 odd.1961. I also went to see Yorkshire play the Indians in 1959 at Bradford Park Avenue or Horton Park Avenue.Fred wasn't playing this match but Brian/Barry Stead was playing. I recall Nari Contractor( who was nearly killed when a Griffiths bouncer fractured his skull in the West Indies) top edging a hook for 6. Very short boundaries.Happy days, going to watch the cricket.

Yes Alan. I saw that Yorks. v Ind. match too and Trueman wasn't playing. Was it Nicholson who opened the bowling? The Indians had a bowler called Desai who was only about 5'6" but could bowl pretty quick - not Fred's pace but faster than anything on show in that match.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Shaun.Intersting that I got the Bradford bus and went on my own. Not now!YES,DESAI.

India in England, 1959
Yorkshire v India
Horton Park Avenue, Bradford
12,13,14 August 1959 (3-day match)

Result: Match drawn

Toss:
Umpires: DE Davies and AE Fagg

Close of play:

Day 1:
Day 2:
Yorkshire 1st innings
WB Stott b Jaisimha 14
K Taylor b Desai 4
DEV Padgett b Nadkarni 36
JB Bolus c Tamhane b Jaisimha 23
R Illingworth c Borde b Desai 15
J Birkenshaw c Tamhane b Borde 10
D Wilson c Tamhane b Borde 27
*JR Burnet lbw b Nadkarni 7
+JG Binks c & b Nadkarni 5
RK Platt not out 0
B Stead b Borde 0
Extras (lb 5) 5
Total (all out, 56.5 overs) 146

FoW: 1-17, 2-29, 3-70, 4-80, 5-92,
6-109, 7-128, 8-140, 9-146, 10-146.

Bowling O M R W
Desai 20 6 45 2
Jaisimha 12 1 43 2
Kripal Singh 2 0 14 0
Nadkarni 19 11 22 3
Borde 3.5 0 17 3

India 1st innings
*PK Roy c Illingworth b Platt 17
NJ Contractor c Binks b Stead 19
AA Baig b Stead 0
CG Borde lbw b Stead 0
RG Nadkarni lbw b Stead 51
JM Ghorpade c Illingworth b Platt 59
AG Kripal Singh c Binks b Stead 3
ML Jaisimha c Birkenshaw b Stead 66
+NS Tamhane b Stead 2
RB Desai c Bolus b Platt 23
VM Muddiah not out 4
Extras (b 4, lb 6, nb 2) 12
Total (all out, 82.2 overs) 256

FoW: 1-26, 2-28, 3-33, 4-45, 5-127,
6-160, 7-160, 8-162, 9-248, 10-256.

Bowling O M R W
Platt 30 10 65 3
Stead 26.2 6 76 7
Taylor 9 0 35 0
Illingworth 7 0 19 0
Wilson 7 0 30 0
Birkenshaw 2 0 11 0
Padgett 1 0 8 0

Yorkshire 2nd innings
WB Stott c Tamhane b Desai 23
K Taylor b Muddiah 38
DEV Padgett c Contractor b Muddiah 7
JB Bolus lbw b Borde 26
R Illingworth c Tamhane b Muddiah 0
J Birkenshaw c Tamhane b Ghorpade 35
D Wilson not out 15
*JR Burnet not out 7
Extras (b 8) 8
Total (6 wickets, 45 overs) 159

DNB: +JG Binks, RK Platt, B Stead.

FoW: 1-57, 2-61, 3-86, 4-86, 5-120, 6-145.

Bowling O M R W
Desai 11 3 42 1
Jaisimha 4 3 9 0
Kripal Singh 3 0 17 0
Nadkarni 5 3 12 0
Borde 4 1 13 1
Muddiah 15 2 43 3
Ghorpade 2 0 7 1
Roy 1 0 8 0

I think Nicholson played mid- late 60s. The first name I'd look for was Stott, to see how many runs he got.

"Tiny" Desai died in 1998. He was about 5 ft 4 in, but " generated enough pace to sustain the Indian Bowling attack in the 60s."

Was Fred's second wife the curvaceous landlady of a pub in Addingham, near the top end, on the way to Silsden?

Don't know about that, but Sir Geoffrey Boycott used to liaise with the landlady of the Slaters Arms in Bradley. She's long gone from the pub, but they are still together. You occasionally saw him nipping through the back door, into the kitchen, and up the back stairs, so to speak. He never used to frequent front of house.

I had a Yorkshire members' ticket for the Indian Test at Headingley. I was there for the first day and I remember a Manjrekar scoring 105 (?) Sadly - although I had the ticket, I wasn't there to see Fred rip through the second innings. If this bears no resemblance to Wisden's account of that match, I offer in the alternative and as an excuse for my misreporting the text of a greetings card I saw today - it read as follows....
An elderly her to an elderly him "You're senile!"
An elderly him, in reply, "I'll forget that remark"
Sounds par for this site and my contributions.

Yes IW, us KBGS lads with links to the national media, as opposed to those KBGS old boys in far away Australia, New Zealand and South Africa who have only Google to brief themselves, know that Fred's second wife was a curvaceous landlady in Addingham. And don't forget the tantalising Racquel Welch connection!

June 1952,First Test Headingley.Vijay Manjrekar scored 133 in the first innings, dismissed by Fred. Fred took 3 wickets in the first innings, but, amazingly, none in the second innings.This must be the match you refer to Terry.Manjrekar wasn't playing in the 1959 Test.However, his son,Vanjay Manjrekar would have played much later, but not at the same time as Fred.

Wonder if Fred ever played at Keighley.

Saw Fred Trueman, Brian Close and Geoff Boycott at Wagon Lane, Bingley. To give the Bingley first team a chance Fred was off his short run. It was played in the evening and probably for somebody's testimonial. About 1963. Happy days to see the greatest Yorkshire team ever. And no overpaid overseas players required.

Only in the interests of the record, Alan, but according to Wisden, Trueman took four wickets in the second innings at Headingley in '52. I think that was the innings in which India lost the first 4 wickets for no score. There were corny jokes on Worker's Playtime at the expense of Hazare, the Indian Captain, punning on Fred's name "Is that true, man?"

You're correct,Terry.I misread the scorecard. Just checked.4 for 27 !! It's true,man! Some illustrious names on the scorecard.

Nothing to do with trueman this but I went to Bradford park Avenue to watch Yorkshire v Northants. Mt first county match!!
I was with an older boy and just before the game started he sent me round the back of the pavilion to get a scorecard. I was stood in a queue when I heard a roar. then applause and wondered what had happened. A few minutes later another roar. What was going on?
I got to the head of the queue and in those days they printed the scorecard as events occurred. Mine read: Northants 0 for 2 wickets. Aspinall had taken both wickets. I hurried back hoping to watch further slaughter but not another wicket fell all day.
D Brookes, the opening bat for Northants and a Yorkshireman to boot got his century much to the chagrin of A B Sellers who had Arthur Booth bowl six maidens to him when he was on 99.
The fast opening bowlers in those days were Aspinall and Coxon.
I had spam sandwiched with me that day and a bottle of lemonade.

Like Arthur, my first county match was at Park Avenue - Yorkshire v Surrey 1949. I too went with older boys - from Bradford St - Billy Rooke and John Turner - the latter a modest sportsman who played full=back in KBGS 1st XV whilst still in the 5th year.He had great positional anticipation and a nonchalance that I reckon he must have picked up from countless games of "driving-back" played in Vic Park and almost daily sessions of "chucking ovver" t'bottom 'oller between Bfd and Bingley Streets. We saw Yorkshire dismiss Surrey in the day (279 or thereabouts - Fishlock and Fletcher being their main bats.) Coxon opened the bowling for Yorkshire. Hutton opened for Yorkshire and scored 37 no at the close. I was in deep awe of the great man. I collected his autograph in his benefit year at Salts when there was a benefit match played for him. Us Bradford Streeters were so impressed by our days at Park Avenue that we used to replay the day's cricket in Eastwood big yard, adopting the batting and bowling styles (right or left-handed) of the day's heroes. I remember lads aping the styles of Lance Pierre, Prior Jones and Sonny Ramadhin after a memorable day when the Windies were touring under Gerry Gomez. Alf Valentine was not playing that day. We had a great time dreaming the dream.

Barrie Whittingham had an average of 22 from 1962 to 1966, 77 matches I think. It's a shame the one who I recall walking up to collect his cricket bat for scoring a hundred while at KBGS couldn't quite make it at the top level. His highest score was 133, which was,I think, against Pakistan. I asked after him a few years ago at Trent Bridge and one official reckoned he was still around the ground sometimes.

I was wrong again!! But look at the players he played against.
Pakistan in England, 1962
Nottinghamshire v Pakistan
Trent Bridge, Nottingham
30 June, 2,3 July 1962 (3-day match)

Result: Match drawn

Toss: Nottinghamshire
Umpires: HG Baldwin and R Aspinall

Close of play:

Day 1:
Day 2:
Nottinghamshire 1st innings
NW Hill c Mushtaq Mohammad b Munir Malik 5
A Gill c Nasim-ul-Ghani b D'Souza 41
HM Winfield c Saeed Ahmed b D'Souza 1
RT Simpson b Nasim-ul-Ghani 76
NB Whittingham b D'Souza 4
+WE Rhodes c Hanif Mohammad b D'Souza 29
*AJ Corran c & b Nasim-ul-Ghani 6
IJ Davison lbw b Nasim-ul-Ghani 0
PR Forman st Ijaz Butt b Nasim-ul-Ghani 15
B Stead not out 4
BD Wells c Mathias b Nasim-ul-Ghani 0
Extras (b 9, lb 10, w 3, nb 3) 25
Total (all out, 90.4 overs) 206

FoW: 1-6, 2-9, 3-121, 4-135, 5-144,
6-172, 7-172, 8-196, 9-206, 10-206.

Bowling O M R W
Munir Malik 12 6 16 1
D'Souza 25 7 42 4
Javed Burki 7 3 12 0
Intikhab Alam 30 7 75 0
Nasim-ul-Ghani 16.4 2 36 5

Pakistan 1st innings
Hanif Mohammad c Rhodes b Stead 14
Alimuddin c Hill b Wells 54
Saeed Ahmed c Rhodes b Stead 19
Mushtaq Mohammad c Davison b Forman 29
+Ijaz Butt c Rhodes b Corran 71
W Mathias c Davison b Forman 28
Intikhab Alam c & b Corran 7
*Javed Burki not out 109
Nasim-ul-Ghani c Forman b Davison 14
Munir Malik c Gill b Corran 13
A D'Souza run out 16
Extras (b 2, lb 17, w 3) 22
Total (all out, 121.5 overs) 396

FoW: 1-16, 2-78, 3-101, 4-147, 5-207,
6-222, 7-227, 8-270, 9-301, 10-396.

Bowling O M R W
Stead 25 3 101 2
Davison 22 5 61 1
Corran 22 5 70 3
Wells 24 9 54 1
Forman 22.5 6 48 2
Gill 2 0 15 0
Whittingham 4 1 25 0

Nottinghamshire 2nd innings
NW Hill c Mathias b Intikhab Alam 53
A Gill c Ijaz Butt b Nasim-ul-Ghani 64
HM Winfield c Mathias b Nasim-ul-Ghani 68
RT Simpson c Alimuddin b Nasim-ul-Ghani 0
NB Whittingham c Nasim-ul-Ghani b Intikhab Alam 39
+WE Rhodes c Nasim-ul-Ghani b Munir Malik 9
*AJ Corran lbw b D'Souza 1
IJ Davison not out 44
PR Forman b Mathias 26
B Stead not out 0
Extras (b 5, lb 5, nb 2) 12
Total (8 wickets, 130 overs) 316

DNB: BD Wells.

FoW: 1-126, 2-126, 3-127, 4-202, 5-223, 6-228, 7-266, 8-316.

Bowling O M R W
Munir Malik 32 15 51 1
D'Souza 14 5 35 1
Intikhab Alam 36 13 81 2
Nasim-ul-Ghani 26 10 75 3
Saeed Ahmed 15 6 42 0
Mathias 4 0 13 1
Alimuddin 3 0 7 0

Tommy Greenough of Lancs used to be a good obe to imitate with his quircky run-up. ".....to dream the dream." I like that.

I refer to a tribute to Fred, by Michael Parkinson, which appeared in The Times recently as part of a serialisation of the 2007 Wisden. It went as follows-'Fred was lethal yet chivalrous, except when confronted by the enemy, and then he was simply lethal. In Fred's case the enemy was the Establishment and all who wore it's colours, such as stripy cap or fancy cravat. Famously, faced with such an opponent, Trueman allegedly sent his middle stump flying, followed by the observation: "It was hardly worth getting dressed up for, was it?"

Don't know if anyone has seen the proposed bronze that is going to be displayed in Skipton High Street - the unfortunate truth is that it could be anyone apart from 'Freddie'!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay