KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Educational Standards Have Plummetted Since Our Day......................

Just as an aside , I meant to add that I have just read Yorkshire writer Joanne Harris' novel 'Gentleman and Players' about life in a northern grammar school (its in the paperback fiction charts at the moment) One of the naughty boys is ALLEN-JONES !!
Fame at last!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Educational Standards Have Plummetted Since Our Day......................

...remind me to sue for back-royalties!

Taking up the theme of "Gentlemen and Players", it is with sadness that I noted the death of Fred Trueman - a player if ever there was one. As a Keighley kid, drawn to the exploits of YCCC and its heroes in those dull years after the war, I remember seeing what must have been one of Trueman's first games for Yorkshire at Park Avenue. As he paced out his long run up, walking in the direction of the pavillion, we thought he was going off for a pee.His action at the crease was like a windmill and we decided, in our wisdom, that he was too fast and not accurate enough -which he wasn't then.Later I was with some kbgs kids at the test in Leeds watching the game from cover point as he bowled from the football end. You couldn't see the ball until the wkt keeper collected it. Nor could the batsmen. He bagged a few and became our hero - even a talisman.That he was the cornerstone of Yorkshire's attack for many years is undisputed; that he made tourists (especially Aussies) worry about getting out won him many victims and admirers. I think, like lots of exceptional sportsmen, he believed his own press and that did little for his stature long-term. He had sound views on the game but as the game developed these became both irrelevant and irreverent and he verged on becoming one of the "professional Yorkshiremen" who embarrass me. But I'll never forget the thrill of seeing him at Headingley,Park Avenue, Harrogate and Scarborough putting the s###s up visiting batsmen and giving us summat to cheer about - which I now recall with affection.Thanks, Freddie.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

I am sorry I have no idea why my post posted twice , once under Allan thread and also separately.
Apologies.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral