KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keighley Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society (The 'Amateurs')

As the 'Nudes' thread has mutated into Theatre matters, I have started this new thread. David Seeleys comments re the 'Amateurs' has prompted me to add further notes.
My sister Barbara Boothroyd (husband of Mike) was until very recently the CHaitman of the 'Amateurs' and has been involved with them since her childhood in the late 50's.
The last production at the Hippodrome was probably Oklahoma' in 1956. They had no theatre available in 1957 , but put on Wite Horse Inn in 1958 at the Ritz Cinema , where they stayed for many years before its closure, and as David rightly said, they now put on shows at the Victoria Hall, usually one Musical and one pantomime each year.
Some of the shows they have staged have been amateur premieres, eg Half a Sixpence in 1967. The following year they were one of the first amateur societies to tackle 'West Side Story', possible because of the very large satge at the Ritz. Their website (designed by my nephew Stephen) is www.keighleyamateurs.co.uk lists all their productions for 1914 to the present day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Keighley Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society (The 'Amateurs')

Is there similar information in regard to Keighley Little Theatre? I was in a production there, while a pupil at KBGS, titled Life with Father. The play also had Mr Cockerill playing the part of a priest. I have images if anyone is interested in having a look.

tp

Yes Trevor, Barbara and Mike Boothroyd are very active here as well. It changed its name to Keighley Playhouse, and they produce a play approx monthly from about September to April each year. Its still at the same site in Devonshire Street. I was able to see a dress rehearsal for 'Boeing Boeing'a few months ago whilst we were visiting them and my parents on a Sunday. Barbara produced it.

Yes Brian, The Keighley Playhouse is 'alive and well' and is still packing them in at the Devonshire St theatre, although the long line of stone steps seem to get steeper and steeper every year! The season runs from September through to June the following year, and they perform 7 different plays with a good mix of comedies and dramas. In December of last year they presented '101 Dalmations' with your sister Barbara, playing a convincing 'Cruella de Ville'. The final show of this season, running from 12th-17th June, will be 'Up'n'Under 11', a comedy. The venue on Devonshire St.is also home to members of the Keighley Retired Men's Forum, who meet every Thursday morning, early October to end of April, for coffee,talks, slide shows, videos, etc.and several KBGS 'old boys'are active members there. So, if you are retired and still live near Keighley and would like to know a little bit more about the Forum, please send me an E-mail.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

No, not retired yet David! I live on the Wirral, but am a dirctor of a company in Headingley. I think my father Bob may have been to your forum though.

It's a pity that the 'Amateurs' don't appear to recognise the town in which they are based - in last week's Keighley News the cast of John Godber's 'Up and Under' apeared to be sporting Bradford Bulls shirts.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Reference Brian's first posting here, I recently found a photo of The Queen's Theatre/Keighley Hippodrome which Chris has posted under "Miscellaneous". Someone had written on the reverse ."Queen's Theatre, Keighley. Auction Sale. Wed 3rd October 1956 at 3 pm", (thus corroborating Brian's recollections of Amateurs' performance venues.) Anybody pick up memorable memorabilia? Syncopating Sandie's sheet music? etc

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Strange thing that,Terry. I was looking at the same photograph only yesterday. It appeared on the front of one of Ian Dewhirst's books of 'Old Keighley', and I can identify my eldest brother,Bob,the only man walking from right to left, in the centre of picture. He would have been about 28 Years old at the time. My mother 'ran' the Circle Bar at The Queen's Theatre until it closed in 1956 and I can remember going to see Sincopating Sandy, the final act shown there before it's closure,I believe. The smell of the place, at that time, still lingers.....urine!!! What a sad end to a once beautiful theatre, where I can recall going to see The Great Levante, an Australian illusionist, just after the war, and catching an orange which he tossed into the audience on the completion of a trick.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

My recollections of shows at the Queen's Theatre include variety shows - one which included Alan Alan, an escapologist, a chap blacked up singing "Poor Old Joe", a comedian (I can still remember 2 of his jokes.) Norman Evans in panto - with his finger puppet (an early Sooty) punching the valves on his trumpet - and of course his "over the garden wall" routine, hoisting up his boobs. The one amateurs' show I saw was "Annie get your gun" - LMS Stoker Stockdale played the part of an indian chief. Posters at and anonymous readers of this site may find the BBC website on Memory interesting.
Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/memory/

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Terry Re: Stoker L M Stockdale. I remember he always had the most incredible tan. Perhaps that is why he did the Indian chief role. It saved on the make-up.
My two favourites at the Queen's were Albert Modley and Shirley Bassey. I have sent all her letters back and asked her to stop pestering me. Poor girl.