KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cinemas - Essoldo

The recent poster of pictures of cinemas raised the question of what Essoldo meant.
The Essoldo was a popular name for cinemas in the UK but I never knew the origin until, prompted by this post, I googled it. Here, for others who recall it, is what I found:

"During World War II, Solly Sheckman was expanding his cinema company, "North East Coast Cinemas Ltd". Music halls all over the north were being converted into cinemas, and by 1939 he had something like a dozen in his chain. Eventually, the name of his company was changed to something a bit more memorable - he took the first two letters of his wife's name (Esther), his own and his daughter's (Dorothy) to make Essoldo, a name that eventually became well known all over the country with over 200 Essoldo cinemas were operating by the 50s."

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 51-58

Current location (optional) Cleckheaton

Re: Cinemas - Essoldo

The literati, who made up my early years' comrades, were quite baffled by the sudden appearance of the new sign on the "Picture House" and couldn't understand the new name. They referred to the newly designated "Essoldo" as the "Effoldo". In my early years the pictures were only open 6 days a week. The Sunday flicks came along presumably after another capitulation by supporters of the Lord's Day Observance Society. But they hardly encouraged an audience as the programmes were "one niters" and comprised some dreadful "B movies".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Anthony's explanation of the origin of the Picture House's previous name 'Essoldo', brought to mind a similar almost local name of 'Roscona',who produced a range of ice lollies and different confectioneries in the Bradford area, in the 60's . Three gentlemen by the name of Rosenthal, Cohen and Nathan gave the first two letters of their surname to the product name, as well as money to set up the business. Abe Rosenthal was for a time a professional footballer for Bradford City, a pacey forward by all accounts. I never followed 'soccer' as a lad myself, but maybe one or two old boys may remember seeing him play for 'City'. I only knew him through business in the 70s and 80s. Lovely fellow!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Hi David--Abe was my favourite player when I watched City in the early 50's. A short stocky guy,inside forward.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Were there three cinemas on Skipton Rd? Ritz and Essoldo on one side, Regent on the other? What was the cinema down Cavendish Street? I saw Adam Faith and the Jon Barry Orchestra at the Ritz(?).The one down Cavendish Street was where we saw Reach for the Sky and Cockleshell Heroes. The post war years were obviously the age of the cinema.However, I can't remember if they always showed different films at each cinema.Presumably yes.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Allen--there were two cinemas on Skipton Road-the Regent opposite the school and the Picture House further along on the same side as the school. The Ritz was down the side street behind the school(having a senior moment and can't remember that street). The cinema down Cavendish Street was the Palace and there was another small one known as the Cosy Corner,down an alley off Low Street.Then there was the Oxford up Oakworth Road and two at Haworth,the Bronte and the Hippodrome--the new 'uns and the old 'uns. Cheers.

THanks for that,Bill.Saw Adam Faith at the Picture House then. Can't quite place the Ritz. (Past the ice cream parlour down the side street and on the right?That rings a bell) The Oxford went the way of many I think and became a bingo hall.My mother used to go there. The Cosy also rings a bell. One of my memories of being at the cinema was the thick swirls of cigarette smoke rising up through the light of the projection. It was always a foggy day on all films.

The Picture House must have been re-named the Essoldo somewhat after I last lived in Keighley (1951).I remember the Regent, the Cavendish and ,vaguely, the Cosy Corner but I can't remember ever visiting the Cosy Corner. Could it have been banned for some reason? The Ritz came ,I think, just before the Second World War. There was also the Oxford Hall in Oakworth Road which had wooden bench seats at the front in my day and where Saturday morning admission also included a bag of sweets. I chiefly remember Westerns (Roy Rogers) and serials (Charlie Chan)at these sessions.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-'48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Reading this again has reminded me of those unsung heroines : the usherettes with their torch...were the ladies with the ice-cream trays also usherettes or did they have another name? It was always a bit of a rush to get near the front of the queue.

Read the entries to "the cinema at the back of the school " earlier in the month

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Sassafras ,Tasmania

Just for Bill's peace of mind, the Ritz was of course at the junction of Alice Street and Lord Street.
My first recollection of going to the cinema without an adult was with Jim Hall to see 'Hurricane Smith' at the 'Oxfadorl'. Jim lost his cap and was in trouble, we were sent back to look for it.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Thanks for that Brian.I left Keighley in 1954 so I do struggle sometimes with names that at one time in my life,thought I would never forget.Two enduring memories of the Ritz are the magnificent Wurlitzer organ which rose from the depths of the basement,being played by Stanley Bishop. ( I think that was the gentleman's name) and the other is of Freddie Gramophone working the queue with his wind up gramophone in a pram. Cheers.