KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memories

Random memories in no particular order;-
The staircase ,the banisters and the acorns on it to stop you sliding down.The underground corridor from the yard and the air raid shelters ( and the practice air raid procedures). The bowl of soup at mid morning break in a classroom on the 4th floor. Frizzy, her glasses and teeth. The run down to Lawkholme Lane for rugby and cricket and the hot bath under Keighley cricket pavilion. The rush to the railway bridge to catch the 4-8. (This was a passenger train from St Pancras to Glasgow St. Enoch,s due at 8 mins past 4 each day and pulled by a "Jubilee" ,but it was always 2to 3hours late in the war and so were we getting home). Dick Cadman and his accuracy with a piece of chalk, but what a good teacher, as was Harry Milton ( in 5a in '46 nothing but distinctions and credits in Maths and French) . Spike Rannard,s tick, reputed to be a result of being a fighter pilot, can anyone verify this ? The corridor to the music room and Gobbo Pickles -- "Nymphs and shepherds come away " .The ride in rugby kit on public bus to Rose Cottage( and back) for matches. Gilbert Swift and his Gym and "pirates" ,probably not played anymore due to 'elf and safety. The forbidden door to the Art School where undressed ladies were reputed to pose.The creaking cardboard corridor where Scratcher Marsden held sway, opposite the Library. The boys from Queensbury ,Wilsden Cullingworth who filled the old LNER train morning and night, and the Bokkerland Flyer to Oxenhope--these places seemed miles away in those days. The tarn used to be one of the first pieces of water to freeze over (probably still is) and we walked up there ,skated and sledged back down by moonlight,there being no private cars on the road in the war. Saturday morning cricket in the grounds of Girls' High School at Utley. Again most of us walked or ran there and there were four pitches and four organised games each Saturday--great. We also played football in the schoolyard after school using a tennis ball-it is not easy !
I enjoyed every minute of my days at KBGS, we were well taught by very dedicated Masters and Mistresses who were held in great respect,and a return to Grammar schools such as KBGS would solve the ongoing crises in education today.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Current location (optional) I.O.M.

Re: Memories

The "Bokkerland Flyer" sounds imteresting. Is it related to Bocking, a place somewhere up in the hills around Haworth; though I never knew where.
Good to hear all those memories. Thanks!
... but the only "ongoing crisis in education" in the present day goes under the name of "the DfES".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Bocking was in fact about half a mile before you got to Cross Roads, coming from Keighley. There was, and maybe still is the 'Bocking Working Mens Club' there.
But I never realised that the 'Bocker' train got its name from Bocking, however it does sound plausible.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

In my childhood and teens,the 40's and early 50's,the train to Oxenhope from Keighley was known as the "Haworth Bocker". I think it unlikely that it is derived from Bocking which is actually part of Cross Roads village,and in turn gains it's name from the type of fabric woven in the mill there,which was known locally as Bocking Mill.
The initial post evokes a few memories of the teaching staff who made the place tick,especially Frizzy Berrington and Gilbert and Pirates.Did anyone actually see any nudes----I know we always peered hopefully but I can't recall ever being successfull.The first time we all jumped into the large tub/bath after rugby was sure an experience.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Pirates. Despite promises from Gilbert, Frankie Wellock, Allinson et al, never played it. What did it involve, me hearties?

First of all Bocking brought back some memories since my Grandma and my Uncle Harry and two bachelor uncles all lived there.It was quite walkable from the town centre though I used occasionally to take the bus.At one time my Uncle Harry and Auntie Ann used to run a sweet and ice-cream shop, imagine it, then a fish and chip shop , about which I have already written.Is there anything of a community there now or have the original stone cottages all been raised to the ground or 'gentrified';it would be nice to know.

Memories of school, so many! Old Nick after the exams congratulating the fortunate or berating the unfortunate in a loud voice in the corridor. Miss Berrington eating a tomato, quite difficult with protuding teeth;I have written about her kindness to me elsewhere.Harry Milton going on and on about his travels so that when he came to start the lesson it was only about 5 minutes to the bell.Hildred Harpin in the art room persuading some boys to act as models and preparing them himself--the unfortunate man would probably have been in trouble today.Gobbo in the basement music room "they expect me to teach in a cellar" he once said to me.Nymphs and Shepherds rang a bell.Well I could go on but I won't now.It's all too nostalgic and also at least 58 years ago!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-49

Current location (optional) Epsom

On a completely fresh tack, but a bit restricted to the more ancient of us who were at school in the war years. Although maybe this continued a bit into the late 50's. In the forties we went to school in Boots !! The soles of these were generally covered in studs and when they wore down new ones were nailed on to what was usually a still good leather sole. The most common studs were "Segs" if my memory serves me well. These boots were brilliant in winter for sliding and ,with very little friction your speed at the end of the slide was the same as at the start , which on the steep parts of Highfield lane and Devonshire Street,with no salt or ashes to be seen ,was often a bit alarming.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Sassafras ,Tasmania

As I recall, there were round studs which I guess were made of steel and sometimes tended to rust, but Segs were different. They were slightly rectangular and never seemed to rust. Could they have been made of lead?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re Gobbo and the Singing Room.
I can recall me first lesson there when I met his magic pencil!!
It could tap out the rythms of different songs, which he did on the table top and then say rythmic things like ' Ta-ta-ticky-ta-ta-ticky-ta'. Then he would tap out different songs for us to try and guess. The National Anthem was always in there.
The room was always used for the Debating Society, as I recall.
Ah, memories.
By the way the song book was a collection of folk ballads collected by Baring-Gould.

Hi

Follow up on Mike Nichols post:

"In the forties we went to school in Boots !!"

I had an image of having classes in Boots Chemist, which was IIRC on North Street (more or less opposite Ecroyds) but reading on the penny dropped

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-67