KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inside the old school then and now -part two

I just stumbled upon the second instalment of photos -don't know how long they've been up for. But once again, thanks to Shaun and Allan for doing the snooping. The 'gibbet' affair in the gym brought back a few painful memories. As I remember, you had to set the wooden beaams at different heights and perform varioius vaulty type things below, above and between them. You could turn the beams flat side up and attempt to walk along them. The floor is probably still dented where I did a head first piledriver, having been so amazed that I'd managed a handstand against the wall bars that I forgot that it takes a certain amount of strength in the elbow department to keep fifteen stone aloft for more than thiry seconds.

Re: Inside the old school then and now -part two

Good grief Allan, you're quick. I was just about to post a message to alert everyone about the second set of photos.
One thing we were looking for was the staircase that led down from the side of the hall since we'd both forgotten where it led to. Sadly it has been demolished and the doorway blocked up. So we'll never know the answer unless your memopry is better than ours.
Incidentally I'm trying to find out if there are still plans for the old building gathering dust somewhere. They would be really useful if we can trace any.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Inside the old school then and now -part two

I think the elusive staircase, mentioned again by Shaun in the previous posting, would have been located inside the right hand one of the two "new" rooms at the back of the old hall. Following his caption to Image 9 (2nd set), my recollection would place it in the wall which faces the doorway into that room. The staircase would have been taken out of use immediately following "the fire".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65