KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Keighley 'blues club'

I see some of the ex-KBGS lads are attending one of the best 'blues clubs' in the UK at Ingrow, Keighley. The Spectrum Blues Club. And no doubt some excellent ale as well as the music.

Re: The Keighley 'blues club'

So - get them to give me a gig!

It's at the Catholic Club at the bottom of Spring Gardens Lane. Guinness £2.10 a pint. The more you drink, the more you save. The turns are good as well.
www.bluesinkeighley.com

Can there really be 2 blues clubs in Keighley, one in Ingrow and one at the bottom of Spring Gardens Lane or is there some confusion. 2 seems a lot of blues for Keighley ... but then, maybe not.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

The one in Ingrow is probably Worth Valley Delta blues oriented (featuring Muddy Waters), Spring Gardens Lane more Texas/ Chicago, hard-edged electric urban.
No blues venue in Ingrow, to the best of my knowledge.

But I see they've got Paul Rishell and Annie Raines coming to SGL....if you've never seen them, don't miss them. If you've seen them already, you'll have bought your advance ticket. Great pre-war blues duo who play very authentically. PR used to be no slouch on the Fender Strat, either, in his younger day.

Whilst I am keen to liaise up with my old buddy IW at the 'Keighley Blues Club' in Ingrow I am also very enthusiastic about seeing the excellent 'Steve Gibbons Band' at the 'Half Moon' in Putney, West London, in early March. And a very tricky job it will be. Ships that pass in the night.

Keighley Blues Club visitors to Burnley Blues Festival this Easter could do worse than to pop in to the Sparrowhawk
Hotel at about 7.30 on Friday 14 April to see Mud In Your Ear. With roots in the pre-war, disablist school of blues playing (Peg Leg Howell, Blind Blake, Cripple Clarence Lofton etc) Mud In Your Ear features Edinburgh's Big Quiff O'Donnell and Keighley's own Slightly-Higher-Than-Normal-Blood-Pressure Jones. Even if you hate the music, you'll love the pre-war guitars and remember: 3 million audiology outpatients can't be wrong!

...that's this Friday, Sparrowhawk, 7 till 9....

David Cameron, Honorary President?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

No, Terry - that would be the Cons' club. (Though show me a non-conning politician ...seems to come with the turf)?

What's the winter Blues line-up like. And is the ale there acceptable. Incidentally I have just found out that in Central London there is a flippng pub selling all the different Timothy Taylors ales!

Civilisation comes to the capital.

Chris Ackroyds brother ??

Just got back from a visit to the Burnley Blues Festival. Very interesting. Best bit was the Blues Cruise down the Leeds-Liverpool Canal (at least a couple of miles of it). When I saw mention of the Burnley Blues Festival earlier in this strand I wondered why Burnley had a blues festival in the first place. Having just seen Burnley for the first time for fifty years I now know. What could inspire the blues more than Burnley 2007 - makes Keighley feel like a really attractive place.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Shaun
This year's the first BBF I've missed for eighteen years - might have seen you if you'd gone to some of the others!

The Spectrum Blues Club website is down. Is this permanent?

Nice to see George Speller posting again, wonder if he is to be seen at the Blues Club resplendent in his silk scarf and goatee beard!

The website is down because there has been something of a falling out between members of the committee and the chap who owns the domain name has tekken 'is bat 'ome. Club still thriving, however. Future attractions include Doc Brown and the Groovecats and the mighty Hamsters.

Anything happening over late May at the Spectrum?

"Future attractions include Doc Brown and the Groovecats and the mighty Hamsters".
So it's a rock club, then?

Doc Brown is on 25 May.
No, Allan, it's a blues club, playing "the full Spectrum of the blues". Robert Johnson and Deaf Orange Chittlin' are long gone, and the genre has moved on . . . .

...so that would be a yes then.....

I will be there on May 25.

..and I will be standing at the back, drinking Guinness.

After all these years.....a bit like Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Not only ... but also.

At £6 a bargain.

Spectrum Blues Club, Keighley - 13th July - The Stumble.
They are very good if you like the genre. Unfortunately, not to my taste. I'll keep consulting their website.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Following the previously reported schism in the Keighley blues fraternity, the town now has two blues clubs www.bronteblues.com . The observant and elderly may spot a KBGS old boy strumming an old archtop in the pictures section.

http://www.bluesfestival.co.uk/roadhouse_venues.asp
This link transports enthusiasts from either side of the above-mentioned schism to the Colne Blues Fest's major acoustic venue at this year's August Bank Holiday weekend. Visitors wishing to encounter a KBGS (very) old boy, should check out Mud in Your Ear at 7.30 on the Saturday...

Oh...I forgot to say the name of the venue: it's The Admiral Lord Rodney....