KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Christmas Festivities/Incidents

The forum seems to have gone quiet! So I introduce a new subject. I really cannot remember much about Christmas events at KBGS. I guess we must have had a Carol Service, but even though I was in the choir I cannot recall anything specific in relation to these or parties, or general foolishness at this seasonal time of year. Does anyone have any Christmas stories/anecdotes??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Christmas Festivities/Incidents

Only a second-hand memory that Christmas presents consisted mainly of a stocking filled with a tangerine, some nuts and small toys...if you were lucky!

Perhaps it's just part of the myth of stingy / tough Yorkshire folk that my dad liked to nurture

A Christmas wi' noa Tree.

It wuh nobbut tat,
tha wouldna look twice at it.
T'branches were greean flu brushes
that yer could bend oop and dahn
and it wur ony small,
nobbut chin 'igh to me at eight.
Oni ah, tat or not , we luved that tree
an' it wuh t'only one wid iver 'ad or knowan

There wuh nowt fancy
yer could buy to decorate it wi' nawther,
what wi' t'war an all
so we had tuh mek do wi sum owd baubles
made a reet fine glass,
bowt from Wullies, years afore.
They wuh that fine and delicate
yer couldn't sneeze near 'em
and they wu pur away careful like
ivry year in cottin wul inside an owd shoebox
wi' 'Chrismas Decs' written on it
an they wuh kept in't cellar eead
on't second shelf.

Mi Mam used to like to mek a neet aht a decoratin'.
Awl t'owd paper chains would be pulled aht
an' festooined rahnd t'kitchen
'n then t'tree were wu browt aht
an' t'shoebox wi' t'baubles
'n little red candles
'n bitsa owd tinsel
'n cotton wool.
We wur awl that excited
you knew it wur awl gonna rend in teahs.

It awl went wrong when sumbody
fahnd aht tha' cud leet bits a cottin wul
wi' a taper 'n throw 'em oop in t'air
'n they wud twinkle dahn,
like little stars and bun aht
afore they 'it t 'graand.
Ah must a pulled off wun peeas a wul
bigger than t'rest,
'cos it didn't bun aht at awl,
it landed on't tree
wi its greean flu brush branches,
fine glass baubles
cottin wul snaw flecks
'n tatty owd tinsel.

Wooosh!
By Go' !!!
burrit did go oop quick 'n awl.
Ah thowt ah'd deed it wu thar'ot.
'n the wur a reet aadiyado, ah can tell thi'
mi Mam grabbed it and threw it to t'flaw
and then when awl t'flames
ed bin stamped aht
t'smouldering skelington
wu thrawn aht on't cobbles.

It ligged theear a piece
'n wen it had gon aht proper
it wu teken up to t'midden.

Next mahnin tha cud see bitsa char
'n pink glass
in awl t'other muck in't 'streeat.
Ah fahnd aht that mi eelaeshes
'ad gorrun bunned an awl.

Summah,tha knaws,
a noo penny and mi fust oringe
in mi stockin' a Christmas morn
niver did mek up fer a Christmas wi noa tree.

One of the favourite end-of-term form period fillers employed by members of staff was the class quiz or Brain of Keighley type of competition. These took various form and inevitably ended in disputes over what was the correct answer. Possibly it is the influence of this experience that has brought me to the annual practice (now in its eleventh year) of devising a "quiz" or "challenge" to raise funds for a registered charity,Acorn Village, a residential "campus" in Essex for adults with severe learning difficulties. My younger son (aged 35) lives there. Annually we raise upwards of £400 through this fun quiz. If any posters or readers of this site would like a copy of this year's effort, I would be glad to send one by return ... terry.marston@ntlworld.com.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I remember going down to the Parish Church from Oakbank for the carol service. I can't remember whether we were bused down - or did we walk? I do remember going to the Bradford Arms afterwards though Were we given a half day?

An earlier time i remember John Laycock doing the boy soprano bit on the first verse of 'Once in Royal David's city' from the back of the church. Then the choir came marching in singing the second verse. Quite effective.

Certainly at the old school we used to walk on to the Parish Church for the carol service. I wonder why we didn't go to St John's from Oakbank.....

Other Christmas memories, apart from family things, are mainly about the parties. It always seemed to be a good time for parties.....

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-67

We walked down from Oakbank to the church, I'm pretty sure (at least for the one carol service during my time there).
I remember Joe threatening dire consequences for anyone who failed to bring a raincoat to school that day. All the usual hot air of course - Needless to say I defied the directive (not wanting to be labelled a wuss at the time) and got away with it - both weather and punishment-wise!

This topic has been kicking around for ages and I couldn't for the life of me think of anything kbgs related when it came to the Christmas period! I suppose I must have been to Carol services, but if I did, they're now well erased from memory. Then suddenly I did remember something, which was this: when in the sixth form it was customary to go to St Mark's youth club in Utley on a Friday night and then to pop across the road for an under-age drink at the Roebuck. Thereafter, the Roebuck became the meeting place for returning students, home from college/university for the Christmas holidays, and keen to get away from the parents for an evening. I seem to remember a posting on this site a couple of years ago from Paul Helliwell. According to him, the tradition was still carried on by some mid-sixties alumni (Kev McGhee was mentioned, I think). Can anyone confirm that this 'reunion' at Christmas still takes place at the Roebuck? And if so, is it still the last Friday before Christmas? Not that I'll be showing up myself (bit of a long way to go for a pint)- but others who live more locally might be interested?

The Xmas reunion is still being held & will take place this Friday @ Wetherspoons on North Street(opposite the old school).Usually kicks off around 8.00pm.
Come along & see if you can recognise anyone !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 62-68

Current location (optional) Keighley

For those who can't make it (well at least this year anyway) it'd be great to see some images from the night - preferably with some names just in case we've changed a bit!

And to all who have contributed to this marvellous site I'd like to wish you all a really merry Xmas and I look forward to renewed/refreshed communications in 2006.

Cheers everyone!!

Trevor

Unfortunately, I won't arrive in the area until Saturday (Xmas Eve), but would very much have liked to attend. There'll always be another year(I hope!)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all - and thanks for all the memories.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 - 65

May I just add my best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas, and a Prosperous 2006.
In particular thanks to Chris for keeping us going (See you in January Chris)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Simply to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and healthy and prosperous New Year.
By way of Christmas gift I have dredged through my KBGS "archives" and managed to find some further pictures with comment for the site. I believe this now exhausts my school collection.
Hope 2006 elicits more new contributors, pictures and unique memories.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

Further to comments about Christmas festivities at KBGS, I have no recollection of any parties, carol services, or even of any celebrations within the forms themselves. All I remember about this time of year, apart from the festivities at the local chapel in Cowling, is that we seemed to always get a lot more snow, but we never seemed to miss school because of it, unlike some of the kids these days, who only live a cock's stride away from school.
My favourite Christmas story, however, was about a neighbour of ours who, throughout the year acted as a handyman to several people in the street, in particular one lonely widow. Every year she would give him a present at Christmas, and he would give her one.
Merry Christmas to you all!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65