KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Cardboard Corridor.

Does anyone remember( how can one forget?)daring to walk the way of creaking floorboards and having to pass Scratcher Marsden's door on the way to the toilet?
I can remember the sudden dart across the room as he was teaching Geography and RE in his room at the end of the Cardboard Corridor. It frightened the life out of me and it wasn't aimed at me but some hapless sod with a weak bladder.
I can remember Scratcher during an RE lesson and the word navel came up in the biblical text we were reading at the time. Some boy offered 'to do with the navy' as an explanation of the word. Scratcher called him out, took him into a corner, pulled his shirt out of his trousers at the front, poked him in the belly button and said' That's your navel , boy.'
Can you see them getting away with that today?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 44-48

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: The Cardboard Corridor.

Basher Braithwaite's response to a request to be excused was "Tie a knot in it, lad". If Old Nick happened to catch you out of class and queried your reason, would ask "Are you ill, boy?" It was a long way down to the basement bogs - so there was always the chance you would be challenged en route by some member of staff probably en route for similar motives.It was quite enthralling to share the building with the tech college as the boundaries between territories was not too closely drawn. Below the cardboard corridor was a corridor in which the school had only one or two classrooms. Go beyond those and you may find yourself confronted by the challenge of some adult stranger. As a first former, without the benefit of guidance, the building was most confusing.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Just remembered a tale Fred Catley enjoyed telling about the elder brother of a form mate of ours, Bob Hillery. As he made his way to the bogs, elder brother was stopped by Old Nick who asked his usual question, "Are you ill, boy?"
"No, sir. 'illery"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Room 60 - end of Cardboard Corridor and next to Stoker's Chemmy Lab - was my first year form room. Next door (59) was the form room of 5C ( to be feared) with Bobus Brown as form teacher. He was not always on time for registration etc. The form had acquired a dustbin lid from somewhere and were practising discus for the school sports - with the same bin lid - but in the classroom. One lunchtime, (strangely a flush of faces without names comes back to me)one of the class put the lid through the frosted glass of the classroom and into the corridor. Mr Brown's arrival and enquiries brought a flood of accusation and counter accusation. As little first years we shrank into our seats and sniggered.

Current location (optional) 52-60