KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Remembered school library books

A Pattern of Islands - By Arthur Grimble
Lord Jim - By Joseph Conrad
White Fang - By Jack London

Re: Remembered school library books

Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe

Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome
Life at the Top - John Braine

I dont think I ever borrowed fiction form the school library, as the recommended reading list from Percy Peart (2nd or 3rd form stage) contained books that I think Joe would have regarded as unsuitable. You had to ask specially at Keighley Library for the behind the counter copies of Catcher in the Rye (still my favourite from that era) Ulysses (still incomprehensible to me) The Rainbow (But not DHL's more notorious novel 'Lady C') and 'A Kind of Loving' by Stan Barstow. I think 'This Sporting Life' by David Storey may have been in the School Library though

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

I can't remember ..... but then I always used to forget my library book.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

To tell the truth I can remember the Oakbank Grammar School library quite clearly as it was fairly cosy, specially the alcove right in the corner next to the office door, which is where I immersed myself in escapist fiction rather than text books. The orginal KBGS library is hard to picture but I don't remember it being relaxing but the town centre school as a whole was repellant.

or " forgotten school library books " . Strangely enough I have started reading "Three Men in a Boat" just recently, prior to its reference here. It's a funny old world. I have no recollection of KBGS or Oakbank libraries, which probably indicates that all my studies were grudging and pretentious. Yet Keighley library was a warm, cosy place, an escape from the outside world. I would often go there in the early evening after tea.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

I remember sitting in the library reading something like a junior and older version of "Popular Mechanics" and learning how to make a wax cylinder recorder and player

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Still got two or three - maybe I should take them back. Hope they don't do fines!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58