KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Foragers

It's interesting to note the chap at the back left of the Foragers - he appears to be holding a Tyrolean type hat - I hope he got to wear it.
On my last trip to Kirky I arrived at Keighley Railway Station all ready to depart with one of those black 'cowboy' hats one purchased on Gala Day - however, it was covered with lots of Youth Hostel badges that I'd gleaned over several years of hiking round the Dales and I was very proud of it! I was put well & truly in my place by Bill Midge who, at the top of his voice, told me to 'remove that stupid hat'!
Later, on the train, he came up and 1/2 apologised with the excuse that he had to demonstrate to other parents at the station that the School wouldn't tolerate that sort of thing. I never did get over that - very embarrassing at the time, a real put down!!

tp

Re: Foragers

What's a 'Forager'?

Re: Foragers

At last an answer for Trevor about that hat! It took several emails to the hat's wearer to get an answer and... well... though maybe not the answer you were looking for, it's nonetheless a KBGS reminiscence. Here's the email from Dave Haig:
The hat doesn't really have much of a story. It belonged, I think, to my brother who had bought it around 1960 when Tyrolean headgear was a fashion item even for 16 year olds as he was then. It then languished and I found it around the Easter of lower 6th and used it when I went on a field week (10 days) for geog in Scotland. We geographers had been lured along on the assumption that we would be walking along on the flat drawing pictures and making notes. What we had failed to take into account was that Peter Wilby was a Monroe bagger and we were on a joint venture with the hill walking club who spent the 10 days charging up every bloody hill in Scotland. There was serious mutiny with the geographers reluctantly plodding and being only halfway up the hills when the keen buggers were at the top and having to wait for us. Wilby got very ratty on several occasions and the final straw came when he found me and Exley having a well earned pint in a pub having sloped off from yet another bloody hill.

The foragers picture was taken that summer in 1964 and the hat had acquired a few feathers from somewhere. I can't remember what happened to it after that.

That's it

Cheers,

David