KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mutiny???

From the time I started school at KBGS we were encouraged [told] to buy the school magazine each year. The Form Master brought them to the form room and we coughed up.
In around 1961/2 when I was in 3S1 or 4S1 a few of us agreed that this was no more than a protection racket and managed to enlist the whole class in refusing to buy the mag. I can't remember who the form master was, though his approach to trying to squash the minor mutiny was reminiscent of Mr Barraclough in Porridge. He failed. None were bought and, I suspect, he didn't dare confess to the other staff what had happened. Finally he said that "to teach us a lesson" he had paid for all the magazines himself. Uproar of laughter. He wept. Lesson learnt - solidarity works.
Can't remember for the life in me who the unfortunate form master was though. Can anyone help?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Mutiny???

Can't help with the name - but this must have given him a cv that qualified him for a TUC course at Ruskin College - and a career of greater moment than the one that left Shaun unmoved.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Re: Mutiny???

Shaun, might it have been Crouch?? I wasnt in 3S1, but I have a fancy it may have been him and he was the sort of guy you would try it on with.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral