KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lee-me-lor

Remember the Monday morning assemblies at North Street? They always began with the singing of 'Lead me Lord' (prononunced 'le-me-lor') accompanied by an ill-tempered Albert Braithwaite on the piano. Does anyone know when this tradition came in an why? It was well established when I arrived in 1959 but petered out when we moved to Oakbank (as did the Public School Hymn Book - what a strange choice for northern working-class Grammar School oiks like us!). The only connection I can think of is that the chimes of Keighley Parish Church ring out "Lead me Lord" to the same tune - one of the few echoes of time past that are still to be found in a much changed town.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-67

Current location (optional) London

Re: Lee-me-lor

I'd completely forgotten the name of the hymn book, and that Albert Braithwaite was the one who regularly abused the piano during assemblies, but it all comes back to me now.
Another such reminiscence was provoked by a reference, in one of the recent reunion reports, to the ancient history book "From Ur To Rome", used I think during our first form lessons with Gus Cullingford. (Perhaps AB can confirm this?)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58 -65

From Ur to Rome! Can't say I remember that one Brian.Nor the hymn book. However, going off at a tangent, I dp remember having to learn by heart for homwork a few sentences or a paragraph in French for Mr Milton, then we'd be tested. Did he read out the French? or did we have to translate the English sentences into the French. Anyway, to get full marks, you just learnt it like a parrot. And Fred Cattlee's dictations!!! There was a certain challenge to do well in those and a fair bit of competition : a reflection on the grammar based teaching......unlike today.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Only Monday morning assemblies! In the 40's it was every day led by Nev Hind and the whole school there, late comers had to stand on the stairs outside and wait for Nev to sweep past afterwards casting his eye over them to see if anyone was a regular. As for the Public School hymn book, the selection has lasted out the years and the words of many have stuck all to this day. Of course at the time every day Nev read out the names of old boys missing or killed in action so the general tone of the assemblies was pretty serious at times.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Your memory serves you well, Brian.
"From Ur to Rome" was indeed the first form history text - the title being the most interesting part of the book.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

It was subtitled ':the basement of history.' 'Pits' more like! Another turgid tome was Milton & Ollier the French primer with sepia photos of pre-war Dieppe where Harry Milton had been a student. Both that and 'Ur to Rome'had been well recycled by the time I received my copy (first homework assignment was to back them)and bore the names of previous owners as far back as the 1940s. How any of us ever learned history or French beats me!

Oddly though I am a church organist, I cannot ever remember having to play or sing Le-Me-Lor since those school days, yet I remember the words:-
'Lead me Lord, Lead me in thy righteousness, make thy way plain before my face.
For it is Thou Lord, Thou Lord only who makest me dwell in safety'.
Surely Geoff can tell us where this occurs in the Bible.
Can anyone remember the school song 'Non Nobis Domine'?? The music was by Roger Quilter.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

It's taken from psalsm 5 & 4 Brian, in that order. If you want to hear it played go to http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh473.sht As for Non nobis (also from the Psalms)it was always sung (at Temple Street Methodists) with the 's' of non nobiSSSSSS held for as long as possible. Maybe a sign of distain for a sentiment either not believed in or not understood by most of us.