KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elementary, my dear Watson.

So, on a macabre topic, anyone aware of infamous crimes in Keighley? Nearest I came to anything spooky for a young lad as myself was a dry pool of blood outside The Res pub; " they" said it was a knife attack.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Re: Elementary, my dear Watson.

Flipping heck, Keighley is infamous among members of the West Yorkshire Police for mindless violence. And it started decades ago. What is Saturday night in the old town like now?

There's a snicket that runs off Broster Avenue quite near to the entrance to Guardhouse Primary. Whilst we (AB and me and Robert Gallagher and Paul Helliwell inter alia)were there, there was a stabbing incident and a pool of blood to be gawked at...is that the one you remember as being outside the Reservoir Tavern, or was that a different murder??

Might be, Allan. All I recall is the res pub for some reason. Don't know if it was a murder. Don't think it was somehow.

By the way, I see the name Robert Gallagher crops up a lot in your remiscences(?). The name definitely rings a bell but I simply don't remember him at all. Paul Helliwell too. He lived by that shop with the Dr Death shopkeeper I believe.

And while my mind is buzzing dreamlike, whebn Brian Exley cropped up in discussion a couple of months back, I had a dream, or nightmare, that we met up. He was a very wealthy property owner, with several large mansions in the USA. He offered me a filthy little one in Middlesborough...not New York or Sidney..Middlesborough!! I recall the name in that very wierd dream clearly. So, Mr Freud....anyway, back to Holmes. (I asked Chris to remove this thread.Seemed a bit macabre and I was scraping the barrel).

Infamous crimes in Keighley? ----- The appointment of Cronshaw as a teacher?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Cronshaw still lives in Nottingham. Bet he would not turn up for a KBGS reunion like Spike Rannard. Mind you I could always invite him.

So it all went on, but we were unaware.

Alan, I can't believe you've forgotten who Robert Gallagher was (is) - as you spent half your 7 to 11 years in his company. Right the way through Guardhouse School, you and I occupied adjacent seats at a desk at the back of the classroom, with Robert and Paul in front (or was it the other way around)??? Robert left KBGS at 16 and joined the army. Paul left at 16 and got a job. Now they're both millionaires and we're impoverished public servants. Go figure...

Every Saturday morning for many primary years Dave Pamment and I used to go to the pictures at the Regent frequently consuming too many fizzy drinks. We would need to stop to releive ourselves on the way home, occasionally at the Gents at the pub near the roundabout just up from the top of Low Street, but more often at the one by the little public gardens on Halifax Road just past the Kworp Ironworks [mentioned elsewhere].
One Sunday morning, after one such brief visit the previous day we awoke to the news that a body had been found in the Halifax Road Gents in the middle of the night. It was, apparently closed for a little while but was open the next Saturday - no signs of blood on the floor or anything else [save the usual foul-smelling pools].

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Yes, I know, Allan. Robert Gallagher!! I tell you, the memory cells just don't operate. Gueardhouse School and he was sitting there in our class. I do, however, always recall the teacher Mr Smith(?( introducing us to papier mache. I made a knight. Both millionaires? They both must have played with us in the field.

They did indeed! From about age three to sixteen, if memory serves (though you didn't turn up until about age 6 )! Late again. Yes, his name was a double-barreled one: Mr Luty-Smith, and his son, Junior Luty-Smith (christian name escapes me) was at KBGS and sported facial hair....the Headteacher at Guardhouse was Edgar Dawson, and the class teachers, in order of appearance, were Misses Smith and Spencer (Moggie), Mrs Kuzeja (pr:Kuhzheya), a Scot from Montrose, married to a Pole, who brandished a mean ruler.. and the aforementioned Luty-Smith. Is it all coming back now...??? Talking of which - it came back to me yesterday that you're absolutely right about the Reservoir Tavern pool of blood....a new, different and more exciting pool of blood than the snicket one - but from round about the same time...aaah, happy days...