KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yorkshire Accent

According to the dictionary a lynchet is a medieval term for a terrace or ridge formed by ploughing a hillside.
By the way did anyone in their childhood walk ont causer edge and splash int dubs.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1964

Current location (optional) Keighley

'Appen, Dave, 'Appen.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Never heard of a lynchet.
A snicket is/was the preferred term in a limited area of Yorkshire including Keighley. Much of Yorkshire uses a ginnel, and when you get into the East Midlands it's an entry.
Another expression that springs to mind is sidin' as in "I'nt it abaht time yer were sidin' yer toys away".
"Nay Dad it's nobbut evelen a'clock."

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

And what about "sammin' up" as in Stanley Holloway's monologue (with double entendre)- "Sam, Sam, Pick up thi musket"? -
And "golluppin' yer jock" - as in "eightin up reight sharp"?

It were allus t'snicket between Lister St and Hird St, where Keith Waddington lived (who remembers him?).

An' dont ferget traffic'll be busy in t'Oakworth Road when t'Oxford 'all is losin'.

(This reminds me of my uncle Ted gettin into trouble with his dad , when he was very late home from school one day, his excuse was that there was a traffic jam in Kensington Street and he couldnt cross the road!!!)

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

What about "living over t'brush"? That is a beauty. cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

It certainly was, Bill.
Oh, and why did they seem to have reels everywhere else rather than our "bobbins".

..and "prannock"...a favourite term of abuse at KBGS for a while...

A new one to me-----on my last trip home in '01,when I couldn't get through a huge roast dinner at the Wuthering Heights at Stanbury,the waitress asked me " ar ya keffling on me?" or it may have been "kaffling". In other words was I giving up on her and her big meal.Anyone else familiar with that expression? Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

There were times when 6th formers and prefects were required to read in assemblies etc. After a rehearsal for Founders' Day (I think) Watthey came to me and, with good intent (I think), offended my native speech. "Listen, lad, it's 'the Son of God' not 'the Sun of God'". I can't remember how it sounded on the day, but nobody looked confused.

I once had trouble with the line 'he who hath ears to hear, let him hear'. Comes out like 'eeooathearstoearletimear.' Though Im sure I can manage it now.

When I first went to University we Yorkshire lads had great fun giving some of the southern ex-public school boys phrases to translate from the Latin and confusing them thoroughly since what they were actually confronted with was the Yorkshire. For example - Issesitintis burraberritis.

Sweets and drinks

Some sweets not mentioned: sherbert lemons, spangles and fruit salad. On the drinks side prior to Timothy Taylors bitter addiction one enjoyed Dandelion and Burdock and Tizer. Ben Shaw's drink products were also welcome. And of course regardng potato crisps Seabrooks of Bradford with its little blue salt bag was always top quality.

As a student I worked at Hoyle's Pop factory in Knowle Park Keighley. Adrian ex KBGS and the owner boasted that Golden Dawn Mineral waters like his lemonade were the best in the Northern Union. Adrian was quite a character!.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Haworth

Id just like to share with you a story from my father in law (a Suffolk man) when he was in the army.

It was parade time and 'Dad' was standing next to a brusque man from our own county.
The (posh speaking) officer singled this guy out out, ask him to step forward two paces and asked his name.

' 'Arrison ' he replied

Officer: ' Oh yes 'Arrison, and 'ow do you spell that 'Arrison ?

Sir! an Haitch , a hay, two hars, a hi, a hess, a ho and a hen Sir!

Lately I have been pondering over not so much the accent as the Yorkshire dialect. It seems that we are probably the last generation to have heard our elders speaking it, thanks to tv and Americanisation of everything, it will probably be gone forever.

I think that there is a need for a West Yorkshire Dictionary so that we can do our bit for future generations.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

An interesting read this nice long thread.
A couple of comments.
Re blegging and blegs.
'Blegging' was 'blackberrying' and got carried over to nose picking as a sort of euphemism, if you think about it.
The Yorkshire dialect I knew as a child is vanishing although the accent itself prevails.
I used to lecture and I do know that my voice changes up a notch when I lecture but that was as a sort of courtesy to listeners, {if they did listen).
Mind you I am very aware of my accent if I hear a recording of myself.
Back in the old Sinclar Spectrum days there used to be a programme that allowed you to reproduce speech by analysing the sounds you made phonetically and changing it into a number coding. Very laborious. One day I tried encoding the first few lines of Wordsworth's 'Daffodils' it came out OK but with the most grotesque Yorkshire accent. You could have hung your flat cap on it.
My old grandma used to say that when the rain was driven by the wind down the street that it was raining ' in iggs and swuthers '.
Also Keighley seemed the only place where they sold 'scones' in a fish shop everywhere else they were called 'fishcakes' or just 'cakes'. Go into a fish shop in London and ask for a scone!!
My grandma also baked and sold 'cracknies' and I've never seen or heard of them since.

Yes indeed Arthur, my Grandmother made 'crackney' or 'cracknies' too, a sort of shortish pastry with a few currants or raisins - a biscuit really rather than a cake. She used to bake a big one in a sheet, then cut it up with what she called her 'crackney runner', it was a device with a little wheel on a stick, I suppose today we would use it for cutting a pizza. (her other specialtites were 'scotch cake','mint and currant pasty'and 'date and walnut cake')
Changing the subject, another word I only recall hearing in Yorkshire was 'skellard' for bent/twisted.

Ah yes, Crackney - mum still makes it and brings it over for us as a flat round(about 20mm thick). Dad rudely refers to it as 'fly cake' as it appears to be full of flies!
While discussing beverages (which we're not, but anyway), I read in a local mag. this week that not only is Madonna a great fan of English beer but her favourite is a Timothy Taylors - good stuff TT!!!!

Trevor

I have yet to see Madonna in the Boltmakers or the Volunteers! Perhaps she goes in the Eastwood Tavern.

Somehow this thread has metamorphosed from Accent (and Dialect) to food and drink. Still, I can't complain after being reminded of those wonderful crackneys. They were delicacies, as were the jam pasties that my mum used to make. [There's a baker's shop ten minutes from where I live in Leeds that still makes jam pasties and does a roaring trade with students.] .... and then there were Yorkshire puddings ...lovely thick cakey confections that were sprinkled with sugar and made a magnificent dessert .... not the little round puffy things filled with air that are everywhere nowadays, andturn to sludge next to the roast beef.