KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reunion 2005

My thanks to Robert Bracken for arranging the reunion for Old Boys at Keighley RUFC on September 9th. It was a warm, friendly occasion which I enjoyed, as did apparently so many others. Informality was the keynote and there was opportunity a plenty to make contact with old friends and acquaintances. It must have been a success if a miserable old git like me found it fun.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Reunion 2005

On this thread of reunions; I had exchanged one or two E-mails direct,with Mike Nichols out in Tasmania, following the insertion of the 1946 School photo, and he told me that he would be visiting the old country again in July of this year. Trouble was, every time he returned he could never meet up with anyone from his schooldays. Well, I had looked at the 'Holy Trinity XI 1945'team photo once or twice and knew of at least two 'boys'on there, who were still alive and kicking, and living in Keighley, 61 years on. So, when Mike duly arrived in the U.K., he rang me and I arranged to meet him and his wife, down at The Turkey Inn at Goose Eye, where I managed to get Keith Watkinson(still working at 73!)and Jack Webber and his wife to join us for a drink and a bite to eat. Old photographs were produced and old stories remembered. Some new photographs were taken and I shall be asking our Webmaster if he will include one with the three 'Trinity lads'for comparison purposes. A rewarding experience for all concerned!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

On reading Terry's appreciation of the 2005 Reunion and it's organisation, I noted that the man who organises everything is a certain Robert Bracken, who lives somewhere in East Yorkshire,I believe. It was in East Yorkshire that I last met 'Bob'. I knew him by sight at School; I was First Form and he was Sixth, so we were not what you would call 'on speaking terms'. After doing my square bashing and trade training on joining the RAF in '52, I was posted to RAF Driffield, where I remained for my full 3 year term. Early on, at Driffield I was instructed to attend an interview with the Education Officer, a certain P/O Bracken, and after one or two questions, was asked about my education. When I mentioned Keighley Boys' Grammar School he stopped and looked at me."Do you know me?" he said. "I think I do, sir",I said. I forget the rest of the conversation or the reason I was there in the first place, but our paths never crossed again all the time I was there. Should we both be spared, I look forward to seeing him at next year's Reunion and asking him why he wanted to see me. Knowing me,I'll probably call him 'Sir'again. I wonder if he will remember the incident. It's also highly probable that more than one ex-KBGS old boy did his National Service at RAF Driffield. We shall see.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 45-50

Well, here we are in 2007 with another School Reunion on the not too distant horizon. Not having been to one myself, in the past, I'm quite keen to be available for this one and I know of one or two others who are also interested. Does anyone know if a date has been set for this year? And will the venue be the same as 2005? How is it normally advertised? If anyone can come up with some difinitive information it would be much appreciated.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

For those interested, this year's reunion will be held on Friday, 7th September at Keighley RUFC, Rose Cottage, Utley from noon onwards. A 'lavish' buffet plus 'delicious' sweets, followed by tea or coffee will be on offer at the ridiculously low price of £12.50. Cheques should be made payable to R.Bracken whose address is 21 Longcroft Park, Molescroft, Beverley, East Yorks HU17 7DY. They should reach him no later than 24th August. Should you wish to contact Robert other than by post, his phone no. is 01482 861093 and/or Email address is rbracken@rbracken.karoo.co.uk

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

I have booked for Reunion 2007. Has anyone else apart from Mr Seeley? I am determined I shall be there, age and decrepitude allowing. Acually I went for my usual 2 mile walk today and felt quite good so here's hoping.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '48-'51

Current location (optional) Epsom