KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arthur Day, the singing chemist

... or pharmacist for the pedants.
Arthur Day ran a chemists shop at Ingrow Bridge and was also, I believe, a stalwart of Keighley Amateurs. Brian M could probably confirm this. He often took leading roles in productions, even when hw was well into middle-age playing young heroes (with a little stretch of the imagination - and of the costume) because of his rather good voice. He was in the habit of serenading his customers in the shop rather than making small talk when they called for prescriptions etc. though, as he got older, this entertainment became less frequent.
Were there other, equally entertaining, shopkeepers or was Arthur a one-off? And was he ex-KBGS?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Arthur Day, the singing chemist

This may be cross-threading but Mr Evans (the demon barber of Bratford Rooad) was a singeing barber - I can recall the taper passing over many a freshly cut coiffeur ( as we used to say down Lawkholme) - but then we were on the main drag to Bratford - culturally elevated so to speeak..

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Arthur Day, the singing chemist

Yes I think he was involved with the 'Amateurs'. He certainly stocked theatrical make up. My sister who is current Chairman of the 'Amateurs'and who has been involved with them since a child, once went in to buy some 'blood' (meaning theatrical) . I dont know whether it was Arthur or an assistant, who asked her 'thin or congealed?' An old lady behind her in the queue promptly fainted.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral