KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sweets

Perhaps it best to start a new thread as the Yorkshire Accent thread has become mainly sweets.
I guess most of you remember 'Love Hearts' which were a bit like refreshers with a message on them like 'Kiss me'. What were the other messages??
I suppose we must have offered them to the girls.
I wonder what more modern messages would say......?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Re: Sweets

This thread should be called SPICE - it's Keighley we're talking about after all.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I agree with Shaun - "Spice" it should be - but perhaps his latest posting should have been under Yorkshire Accent. (Tongue in cheek!!) But what about the home-produced snack jock. In summer, probably with stuff from my Dad's allotment, my Mam would give me a paper bag with some sugar and a stick of rhubub to dip in it. Similarly, a bag with salt and a stick of celery. Popalol to wash it down!! On occasions we would shake some Andrews Liver Salts into a bag and dip in a wet finger to pretend it was kali. Boy, did it fizz on your tongue. Some lads from the bottom of Lawkholme once tried to pass off some sheep droppings in a matchbox as roasted peanuts.Can anyone help me with the name of a dark brown, banana shaped "fruit" that could be bought at the Coop greengrocers in the '50s. I think I came across it on a plantation in the tropics a few years ago. We used to gnaw on it and it had a faintly unclean smell to it - like some of the mucky post-war kids in school.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

I think that the messages on Love Hearts have been updated to include ones such as "Text Me". Probably a more suitable one for present day Keighley would be "I'm pregnant, Darren"

Not strictly spice - but a great delicacy nevertheless - was frozen Barr's as sold at the small shop near the back entrance to Lund Park. Barr's, the soft drinks company, produced cartons of orange squash which were then frozen to produce the largest, most succulent "ice lolly". Far better than the insipid Jubbly in its' tetrahedral package that used to shoot out all over the place.
There was a shop on Halifax Road near to John Whitley's father's jeweller's shop that produced its' own Lucky Bags before the spice companies cottoned on to the idea. They always seemed to be a real bargain. Anyone remember the name of that sweet shop?
...and then there were the pop lorries.

What about that old favourite "liquorice root" which seemed to crop up only on a seasonal basis - I can't remember at what time of year. You chewed the stuff imterminably for the meagre reward of faint "spanish" flavour, during which it disintegrated into a soggy, stringy mass.
Is it still on general sale in t'North? I hadn't come across any for decades until visiting the Ironbridge heritage site in Shropshire last year. Couldn't resist it of course, though, as with all things, it wasn't the same (or perhaps my teeth aren't!)

Rest assured Brian, it's not your teeth.
Liquorice root is all imported from the far east now and is far too dry by the time it gets here. If there proves to be a market for the kosher stuff it may be worth retiring and growing liquorice for a living.

Isn't liquorice (how many different spellings are there?) still grown around Pontefract? Betjemans poem relates to this:- (sorry this is from memory, may not be completely accurate)
In the liquorice fields of Pontefract my love and I did meet,
And there was many a liquorice bush ablooming round our feet,
Blue eyes had she and fairest skin, those lovely lips were made for sin,
Her gorgeous (?) legs were flannel slacked,
The loveliest legs in Pontefract.

Sorry Brian. I was at the Pontefract Liquorice Festival a few weeks ago and made extensive enquiries. Everyone told the same story - no more liquorice grown commercially in the area.

More modern messages on text me. "Text me" seems the obvious one to me. Much of the spice from way back can still be bought at the sweet shop opposite the Tourist Office in Haworth. Flying saucers etc.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Here are a few more 'old spice' to savour:
Five Boys chocolate bar, Tiffin bar,Milk Motoring; Cinder toffee (with or without 'chocolate' coating), midget gems, floral gums, cherry lips, rainbow drops (multicoloured soggy rice krispie confection which came in cone-shaped paper bag), Squirrel wine gums (had a greasy feel and taste) McCowans Highland Toffee bar and to finish on a politically incorrect note - Sambo liquorice bubble gum (cylindrical shaped with said Sambo on wrapper -1/2d each).
At Leda's ice cream shop across from the school I used to buy Seabrook Cheese & Onion crisps which had a superb flavour. The current version is pathetic - must be the lack of additives/e-numbers.
Also from Gina's (Ledas's Ices) you could buy Potato Puffs - no longer available, I think. A similar product was on the market in the form of small pig-shaped objects which closely resembled 'Puffs'. Anyone know the fate or otherwise of this much-loved savoury item? NB Potato Rings taste similar but a very poor copy.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

How the heck do you remember all this?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-66

Well, Alan, I simply like to reassure myself and others that I'm not in the throes of going senile before age 60! It's always an asset to have a good memory - even for relative trivia - otherwise this website would be pretty insignificant.Now then, do you have the answer to "Potato Puffs"?
Whilst on the very general question of 'spice'- what was the name of the bakers on the right-hand side going down towards Greenhead Road? We used to call in for Cornish Pasties/fruit pies/buns etc; on the way to rugby practice each Wednesday; it's probably no longer there?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

No-one's mentioned "Imps" yet, have they?

Or Fishermens'(Fisherman's) Friends - possibly because of the punctuation.

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Does anyone remember Jap Nuggets? - Or is that now politically incorrect? And can any on yer still remember when spice came off rationing? When they did, there woh queues down t'street outside any shop that had stocks for sale. I recall a queue from the sweet shop cabin at the railway station threading round the corner past the Queens' Hotel and into Dalton Lane. When it were your turn there were nowt much worth having.

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re the Bottomleys Mint Rock comments which continue on the Yorkshire accent thread, this is still available. A sweet shop in Cleckheaton, also seels on line. Visit www.thechocolateshop.org
But I dont think the factory is still theer wher it used to be in Keighley, I rather think they were taking over by one of the bigger sweet companies, who have simply kept the name alive.

I have in fact emailed The Chocolate Shop to ask who maked the stuff now.

Leda's also did 'cider' lollies. It was a favourite trick (not by me I hasten to add) to go and ask how much were their penny lollies.

On the subject of online spice shops Bracken Bank Stores on Ingrow Lane have their own website:
http://www.brackenbankstores.co.uk

Their wares include bundles of 100 liquorice sticks, toasted teacakes, victory V's, sherbert lemons, Bassets Sherbet Fountains etc.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 60-67