KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Malcolm Berry---mystery

In this weekends Keighley News online there is an article about the mysterious disappearance of Malcolm Berry,14 years ago.Perhaps it is worthy of mention on here that Malcolm also attended KBGS at the same period as myself ie 1947 on----- maybe some of you had your hair cut by him !Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 47-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Re: Malcolm Berry---mystery

Tell us more, Bill. Chapter and verse. Intriguing.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

see this BBC article

I do not remember this at all.
Of course a well known Keighley Barber was Jim Berry in Low Street, who's son Geoff was a contemporary of ours. Could Malcolm have been related to Jim?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

I really don't know anymore than what I have read online over the years and asking my cousin about it,another contemporary who still lives in Keighley.Malcolm Berry would have been 69-70 now,as I am 69 and he started with me.It says he was 56 when he was last seen so I guess it is possible that he was related to the other barber mentioned by Brian Moate.It really is a mystery and I am surprised that you chaps were not aware of it. Cheers.

The name really rings a bell. I'm sure I used to go to a Malcolm Berry - barber, near the bus station. Me and Tony Woodwiss went to him because he sold bottles of pale blue hair 'gel' that we would spread on our wet hair to hold it in place. In those days we had 'quiffs' and DAs down the back.

tp

Hi Trevor-welcome home----I hope that all went well on safari.Cheers.

Seeing as we're onto this theme as far as I'm aware the longest established Barbers in town will now be Adrians formerly Taylors at the top of Lalkholme Lane.My earliest recollection of being taken for a short back etc was to a shop in Bradford Rd.near to McDowells Newsagents.Being a Bradford St lad,Terry M may well remember the 2 barbers who worked there.

I have found an email address for Geoff Berry (who's Dad (as I said earlier) was a barber in Low Street.I have asked if he remembers a Malcolm Berry (maybe his Dad knew him) or maybe even if he was a relative.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1964

Current location (optional) Wirral

Brian knows how to bait his line. The proprietor of the business was a big beefy man, Mr Evans and his assistant was a small man,called Tom, not a lot unlike Stan Laurel.I used to think of them as Laurel and Hardy. I preferred Tom to the boss man who used to push your head with his clenched fist to move your head to the desired position. When the fair was on in Vic Park, he used to put up a sign "Haircutting by appointment only" so he had an excuse not to cut the fairground workers' hair which was usually caked in oil.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Our local barber was Arthur Kendal at the bottom of Fell Lane. 2shilling he charged and 2s6d on Saturday morning. He also charged extra for long hair.
A little old chap,who lived at Hillworth Lodge (home for old folk)was always in Arthurs. I can't remember his name, but if any of us kids stepped out of line he would tell us off. Nobody took any notice of him, but it kept him happy.
In those days you could get a shave and a haircut.
We used to be ages in there because adults were given preference, and a shave and haircut seemed to take hours when you were a kid.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1964

Current location (optional) Keighley

Surely posters will also remember the artist and early 'mod' Malcolm Berry who lived in a street near the old school. Blossom the art mistress was keen on the guy. He left Oakbank in 1967/68 to attend art college.

Phew... prior to reading your submission Jonathan Cox I thought I'd disappeared and died! I'm still alive and kicking and painting pictures and teaching but have since ceased to be a 'mod'.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-1968

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Malcolm Berry and Dave Berry!

Great to hear you are alive and painting Malcolm. Is it true to you lived nearer to school than any other pupil. Somebody said you were related to Dave Berry and Cruisers, but I suspect that was because of your 'Mod' cut.